PDA

View Full Version : are hand grips worth getting?

deltaglaze
06-27-2009, 06:56 AM
i have just recently purchased a FujiFilm Finepx S1500and i am wondering if it is worth investing in a hand grip or something similar if they are worth getting? and do any S1500 owners recommend something similar if there is one available?

hand grip http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePix-S1000fd-S2000HD-S8000fd/dp/B001TLK5DQ/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

looking forward to any info you guys may have..:)

(apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum)

Beowulff
06-27-2009, 11:54 AM
In my personal opinion (and having owned the Fuji S8000fd) I reckon these hand straps are more trouble than they're worth!

They may give you some added security when using the cam single-handedly which I never do but otherwise the strap can make it difficult to maneuver, particularly if you've got it 'snugged up' so as to effectively do what it's made for.

I'd actually use an additional "standard" wrist strap, in conjunction with, and additional to, the cam's neck strap.

Me? I'd give it a miss.

Cheers :)

faisal
06-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Ditto on that^^^^

deltaglaze
06-27-2009, 04:30 PM
thanks for your input on this so you'd recommend either using the standard neck stap or would you say buying a seperate one would be a better option?

thanks again for the info..:) glad to have found a site with such friendly and helpful folks..:)

Rhys
06-27-2009, 06:00 PM
I have a hand grip for my Canon XT. If I were to start from scratch again, with the experience of the hand grip, I would not buy one again. Instead I would put the money into something of more practical use such as a lens.

deltaglaze
06-28-2009, 02:28 AM
done a bit of research into my camera, as far as i know there are no lense attachments made for my camera. looking back i think i maybe i should have budgetted for a more expensive camera which allows you to use lense attachments. but when thwe time comes toget a new camera i think i'll go for a either a canon or nikon. but thats a fair way off yet.

faisal
06-28-2009, 03:16 AM
thanks for your input on this so you'd recommend either using the standard neck stap or would you say buying a seperate one would be a better option?

thanks again for the info..:) glad to have found a site with such friendly and helpful folks..:)

If the standard neck strap seems strong enough to take some wear and tear than I don't think you need to buy a new one. Btw if you really don't want to put the strap around your neck, you can wrap it around your hand just like a hand grip. I do that sometimes when I go stealth mode... :cool:

And you're welcome.....hope to see some pictures from you!!! :)

deltaglaze
06-28-2009, 03:58 AM
i'll post some up once i get back from the air show next month, they probably wont be brilliant as i am just really starting out..:) but i will post some up as soon as i get back.

btw any recommended free hosting sites?

K1W1
06-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Btw if you really don't want to put the strap around your neck, you can wrap it around your hand just like a hand grip.

I rarely have the neck strap around my neck but I almost always have it wrapped abound my wrist, I can let go of my D300 and it will only fall an inch or two below my hand.

Edit:
When you see this technique demonstrated it makes more sense. Go to Dtown TV (http://www.dtowntv.com)and watch episode 12 for a demonstration by Moose peterson (about half way through the episode).

deltaglaze
06-29-2009, 08:24 AM
i'll go have a gander at that thanks for the link K1W1..:)