PDA

View Full Version : Using video lights for head shots?

kat.hayes
06-18-2009, 02:36 PM
I want to take some headshots of myself using a Canon xTi and some KNO FLO lights for shooting video. I have two four banks and two Divas.

1. Is there any issue with using video lights for still image photos like this?

2. How should I set these lights up for this type of shoot? Will these types of lights work for doing headshots?

Thanks for any info!!!

r3g
06-18-2009, 03:11 PM
I dont know much about video lights but I assume they are continueous lights. If so there is no problem with using then. Lighting is lighting. Get in there and play around with them.. If they give you the look you want than start firing away.

kat.hayes
06-19-2009, 12:35 PM
I guess my confusion is the device that triggers the flash with traditional photography (not sure what it is called) and how not having that would affect the quality of the photos with just continuous lights. Thanks!

jcon
06-19-2009, 01:01 PM
If you have a light meter just meter the continuous lights and set them manually to the settings you want.

Don Kondra
06-19-2009, 02:19 PM
With continuous lights just set your camera to aperture mode and ~ f8... depending on the lights you can expect to get exposure speeds of anywhere from 1/30 to 1/80.. just don't be jumping around :)

Cheers, Don

kat.hayes
06-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Just curious, why do you suggest to "set your camera to aperture mode and ~ f8" What specific about these settings will work with my continuous lighting? I am obviously not too knowledgeable with regards to still photography.

Thanks!!!

Don Kondra
06-19-2009, 08:37 PM
With continuous lights you are going to need slower shutter speeds for a good exposure. I find, at least with my camera, it does a good job of determining the shutter speed on it's own. Setting it to aperture mode will give you the DOF you want and automatically set the shutter speed.

Cheers, Don