PDA

View Full Version : Olympus E-P1 PEN IS four thirds

bascom
06-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Looks small and easy to carry but $100 for a flash and $100 for a viewfinder brings the price to $1,000. Too expensive for me.

laydros
06-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Wow, what a neat little camera. This seems like it is totally the right DMD:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/DMD.shtml

Would I be willing to give up an optical viewfinder and phase detection AF? No.

But I think many people that want this kind of quality at a small size would. I was at look3 last week and saw lots of Canon G9 and G10s. People don't want to lug an SLR all the time. We just need to see a camera like this get down into the $400 range, and I expect that will happen in a couple of years.

I was pretty amazed by the specs. Other than the lack of optical viewfinder and phase-detect AF, this camera is almost identical to the E-620... it competes more with the 50D and D90 than with the D60 or the Rebel. And when you consider that and the size advantage, it is a bit of a steal for $900 with the pancake lens and viewfinder.

raven15
06-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Looks pretty freaking awesome. I have no idea how they managed to cram IS for a sensor that large into a body that small. My only concerns about it are autofocusing, how to compose in difficult situations, and ... well ... autofocusing. And I could deal with those, if there were more pancake lenses. Oh yes, and a very small remote flash :).

Olympus is really pushing the ISO/DR thing. If you look at the examples on DPReview (sucks Jeff wasn't allowed to post pictures), I think it is quite decent to, say, ISO 2000 (real world use may vary). And the E-620 is already known for much better DR. Really, this is a full stop and a half better than what Olympus cameras were a year ago (for most applications).

Or, maybe I'd miss my OVF. Who knows. Looks like I'm not getting one anytime soon.

erichlund
06-16-2009, 12:55 PM
At least Jeff put it next to a G1. The DPR preview did not even show or even mention the G1 in the article. I was starting to think that Olympus had asked specifically that the two not appear together, especially when DPR used the Panasonic LX3 as a comparison camera.

Two things bother me about this camera: the lack of any sort of viewfinder permanently attached, and the LCD's limited pixel count (240k just doesn't cut it on a camera more expensive than many dSLRs). I think a proper rangefinder viewfinder would be a wonderful solution for this type of camera, even at the expense of LCD size.

Getting closer to the mark, but just not quite there yet.

p.du.v
06-17-2009, 10:54 PM
A few days ago, for the first time in a looong time, I said "Oh god, yes!" out loud over a camera... heh.
My mate msg'ed me "Man, there's a digital camera you can use your OM lenses on!"

This is something I've been wanting for aaaages. Pretty much just a digital equivalent to my OM4 Ti, a small, feature filled, high quality digital camera that I can mount my Zuiko OM lenses on.

Then I saw it had no internal viewfinder and rapidly said "Oh god, no..." And that alone has meant I've not pre-ordered an E-P1.
The attached viewfinder just doesn't cut it for versatility for me.

Curious on one thing; does anyone know if this camera gives you a 'cross prism' (the two halves of a circle in manual camera.. whatever that's actually called) to focus by when using manual lenses?
Or do you just have to rely on your eye to tell you when the picture on the back is the least blurry?

But yeah, irrespective, I'd happily lose a good deal of LCD if it meant having an internal viewfinder. Or they could extend it out like the Ricohs or whatever had.

Soon as they do that, and add in some sort of focus assist for manual lenses if it doesn't already have it, well I'll be ordering one, even if it costs as much as my D700.

OM4 Ti and E-P2 (?) would be my ideal travel kit!

Edit:
Ok so I read Jeff's (as usual) great review, thanks Jeff.
Hmm just seems too problematic to be what I have wanted... And you now how it goes, you buy one and then two months later the E-P1x is released with internal viewfinder and manual focus prism etc... Heh.

I really would like to get my hands on one with an OM adapter though, just to see how it plays out. As with my LX3, you could use 3rd party view finders to get one that suits the mm of your lens.

Interesting. Great start Olympus!

dlpierson
06-18-2009, 09:01 AM
I think that an internal viewfinder would conflict too much with the small size of the camera. Face it, they're never going to get rid of the LCD.

What I'm waiting and hoping for is an EVF that slides into the hot shoe. Ricoh and I think Sigma have those on a few cameras.

raven15
06-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Yeah, that'd be cool. What would be even more cool is a 12mm and a 50mm pancake lens!

jekostas
06-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Hm...
Small size, good looks, you can stick Leica R and M glass on it with adapaters.

Sweet.

Pricing should come down with time, hopefully these will catch on.

Ken.
06-21-2009, 06:42 AM
I thought a lot about this camera and the lack of a built-in viewfinder and flash actually does not bother me. It would be difficult and expensive to build a build an optical viewfinder that can accurately cover every lens you can put on this camera. Even Leica does not do that with the M8. An eye level EVF makes it a G1. That leaves a mirror box assembly making it an SLR, the one thing it's trying not to be. Odds are not many people are going to attach a long lens to this camera.

As for the lack of a built in flash, well, I rarely use them. If left on auto they have a tendency to fire when you don't want them to and not fire when you'd like them to. They're a lousy light source either way. I think the shape of the companion flash unit is a mistake - it's not pocketable.

The pricing has me curious. It's a bit high but not too bad. It will inevitably drop to more reasonable levels....

Margus
06-23-2009, 12:48 AM
I like the camera - very, very stylish, a real piece of technology :) A promise of high image quality (looking forward the review...) stuffed into a good-looking camera body.
While the G1 introduced standard black and cheap-looking ugly (for my taste) blue and red colors, Oly introduced very good-looking silver and white. And I like the silver lens! It's strange but regardless the tough competition the manufacturers have somehow managed to offer either stylish or technically good cameras so far. This camera seems to be one of the first efforts to offer both simultaneously.

I agree with everyone else who have stated that the screen resolution was a disappointment. Owner of this camera is expected to use manual focus quite often and a high resolution LCD would be really beneficial. While most seem not to be keen on a built-in flash, I am looking forward it too. May-be Oly is doing it on purpose? Trying to skim "few" bugs from the ones who need to own the first camera of a kind and then after a while introduce a next model with a better resolution LCD and I hope with a built-in flash too. Just like Panasonic did with the first G1 without a movie mode.

Ken.
06-27-2009, 06:10 AM
I'm guessing that a higher res LCD would require a bit more processing power to refresh quickly.

The real bottom line is that there are so few pro level "pocket" cameras. There's the G10, the P6000, the LX3, the D-Lux 4 and the E-P1. Comparing the E-P1 to an dSLR is not the right thing to do.

FLiPMaRC
07-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Olympus commercial for the E-P1 Pen :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FWv21EgRZU

jekostas
07-24-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm guessing that a higher res LCD would require a bit more processing power to refresh quickly.

The real bottom line is that there are so few pro level "pocket" cameras. There's the G10, the P6000, the LX3, the D-Lux 4 and the E-P1. Comparing the E-P1 to an dSLR is not the right thing to do.

Comparing the E-P1 to the G10, P6000 and the LX3/D-Lux 4 makes way, way less sense as the E-P1 uses a dSLR sensor, a dSLR processor and interchangeable lenses.

pingme
08-22-2009, 10:20 AM
I bought this camera after long search and deliberation, rather I switched from Nikon D70 to E-P1 as my only camera.

I am not a pro just a hobbiest, but so far quite amazed with its quality, its far better tool that its looks

fotogmarc
08-24-2009, 12:43 PM
The camera looks like it can do some great things. Is it fair to compare it to the P&S'? Well, price wise certainly not, but judging from the reviews it puts many Dslr's on the defensive.
I would like it as a back up, but it makes me wonder; is Olympus moving away from full size 4/3 Dslr's? How many full size Oly and Panasonic cams have come out within the last year compared to their micro spec. cameras.

Let's hope they didn't come out with the E620 just to sell their over stock of lenses. :(

jekostas
08-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Olympus has been quite firm in saying that they will continue to develop and sell full-size dSLRs. The successor to the pro-level E-3 (probably E-5 since Japanese companies have superstitions about the number 4) is due in mid- to late-September.

However, Olympus' mantra has always been "smaller is better", so likely both product lines will get equal fleshing out over time.