PDA

View Full Version : Baby Passport shot

faisal
06-15-2009, 04:27 AM
Been asked to take photos of a 10 days old baby for its passport. The parents would like no flash though I might pursue them to let me use some bounce flash. If no, then any pointers on how I can get it right.
I'm thinking ambient light, with a reflector, 50mm macro at f5.6, ISO 800.

Rooz
06-15-2009, 04:50 AM
lol fais...is a little hard to guess exposure over the net mate.

Paradox
06-15-2009, 05:06 AM
http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/downloads/photos.pdf

Not sure if the guidelines are the same wherever you are, but seems to provide pretty good coverage of the requirements for a passport photo.

faisal
06-15-2009, 05:18 AM
lol fais...is a little hard to guess exposure over the net mate.

True.....
From what I know a passport photo needs a larger DOF so f2.8 is out of question. I can't use flash unless they let me. The shoot is going to be indoors with ambient light through the windows and normal indoor lighting.I'm wondering how I'll do it without Flash. I'm thinking ISO 800 should be fine for passport size, but not sure about ISO 1600...so was looking for any other ideas to do this... :)

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/downloads/photos.pdf

Not sure if the guidelines are the same wherever you are, but seems to provide pretty good coverage of the requirements for a passport photo.

Nice link Paradox. We've got similar rules here and I already know them cause I have taken shots of family and friends for passport usage.....

tim11
06-15-2009, 05:50 AM
Shouldn't worry too much. It's a passport photo size. You won't see the noise. Just turn up during the day. Do it near a window. If that is not possible turn up with a couple of bright lamp.... measure WB. Shoot in RAW.

adam75south
06-15-2009, 06:50 AM
yea i was gonna say window light and a reflector as close as possible. lmao at "no flash". people can be so irrational when it comes to babies. those same people will probably turn around and have no problem with flash if they were at a professional studio.

mugsisme
06-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Um, have you seen what they use at the stores? OK, I admit it. I was too lazy to do the pictures myself, and yes, I paid $7.99 a picture to get the photos done for my whole family. Nearly choked when I saw them pull out this super cheap P&S. Stand here, look here, click, done. Most of the resizing was done on the machine, where the totally inept guy just made the picture a drop bigger here or a drop there. Click, click, here you go.

Don't stress over it too much. However, you MUST follow the guidelines. The application will be returned if the photo isn't correct. White background, NO flash. Make sure the size requirements are met.

For me, my time was worth more, which is why I went to CVS. They do them a lot, and it took approxiamately 5 minutes from start to finish. Walgreens sucked. Went there for the kids ... took forever, and they made me wait an hour to get the actual pictures.

FLiPMaRC
06-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Um, have you seen what they use at the stores? OK, I admit it. I was too lazy to do the pictures myself, and yes, I paid $7.99 a picture to get the photos done for my whole family. Nearly choked when I saw them pull out this super cheap P&S. Stand here, look here, click, done. Most of the resizing was done on the machine, where the totally inept guy just made the picture a drop bigger here or a drop there. Click, click, here you go.

Don't stress over it too much. However, you MUST follow the guidelines. The application will be returned if the photo isn't correct. White background, NO flash. Make sure the size requirements are met.

For me, my time was worth more, which is why I went to CVS. They do them a lot, and it took approxiamately 5 minutes from start to finish. Walgreens sucked. Went there for the kids ... took forever, and they made me wait an hour to get the actual pictures.

When I had to make an unusually small sized headshot of myself for an ID, I did it myself using Photoshop(File>Automate>Picture Package). I was able to fit 9 headshots inside a 4x6" photo. Got it developed at a local Walgreens for $0.19 ... LOL :D