PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic TZ versus ZS1???

dangitkimchee
06-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Was going to pick up the ZS1 since I wanted to save some cash instead of buying the ZS3, but then I saw the TZ4 in the store and thought I could save even more with one of these. Store didn't have any ZS models, so have only seen it online.

They seem pretty close. Main buying point for me is the long zoom. But is there that much of a difference between 10x versus 12x zoom, and 9.1mp versus 10.1mp?

It seems like I can save about $60 if I go with the TZ model. But if it is worth it, I'm willing to pay more for the ZS1.

I am just a recreational photographer, and was looking for an all purpose camera. Won't use video that much.

I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

David Metsky
06-08-2009, 01:06 PM
The TZ4 zoom is 28-280, the ZS1 is 25-300, so you are getting slightly more wide angle and barely more telephoto. The difference in wide angle will be more noticeable and possible useful.

You're right that the difference between 9MP and 10MP isn't worth considering.

The ZS3 review (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_zs3-review/) has a nice comparison chart. The TZ4 is very similar to the TZ5, with a smaller and not as nice LCD, lower video resolution, and no digital red eye removal.