PDA

View Full Version : Video with my Sanyo Xacti E2 is practically unusable!

Cyber Akuma
05-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Yes yes, I know, digital cameras aren't meant for low-light situations... but still, this is insane, even if there are several lights all over the room the camera takes incredibly grainy video full of colorful static unless I set it at the lowest ISO and/or brightness setting, which makes it look light a night shot in the middle of the day!

On top of that, the photos aren't great either, photos do come out far clearer than video, probably thanks to the photo-only flash, but they are still rather blurry even with every image stabilization feature turned on. Not that I was expecting great photos from a low end video camera mind you, I suppose its quality is better than expected for a secondary feature of a video camera. But taking video is the main reason I got this, and its near useless for it.

Am I just using this thing incorrectly, or did I waste my money buying it? Is there anything I can do other than shoot video outdoors in the morning to get decent video out of this thing? Any guides or tutorials on proper usage I can read? Or an optional flash I can mount on it?

Does anybody else here have this video camera? What are your experiences with it? Would you you say its a decent camera or terrible camera? Any advice about using it?

Thanks

jekostas
05-29-2009, 08:10 PM
My question is what exactly are you taking videos or pictures of? My father has a Xacti E2 and loves the camera, but he uses it for doing videos while white-water canoeing with a helmet-mounted camera.

That's pretty well what the camera was designed for - taking outdoors videos during the middle of the day with plenty of light, and uses a separate still digital camera for pictures.

If you didn't buy it for taking outdoors videos in good light, well, I'll have to say that you did, in fact, waste your money.

Cyber Akuma
05-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Damn, I see.

I mostly plan to use it for indoor videos, events and holidays that take place indoors.

jekostas
05-30-2009, 10:42 AM
The Xacti series is exactly the wrong type of video camera for those purposes, then.
Unfortunately, I can't really recommend a good video camera for what you need as I don't know a whole lot about them, I just have personal experience with the E2.

Beowulff
05-30-2009, 10:51 AM
You might be interested in the Amazon user reviews click HERE (http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-E2-Digital-Camcorder-Camera/product-reviews/B001DQKHX0/ref=cm_cr_pr_link_next_10?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=10&tag=testfreaks-20).

I agree with jekostas that the E2 is very much a use-specific videocam, and not really a good "all-round" cam for everyday use.

Cheers :)

Cyber Akuma
05-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Actually, I did read the Amazon reviews before purchasing it, I got it from Amazon as a Black Friday deal after all.

It just never occured to me that there would be different videocameras designed for indoor and outdoor use, since the old videocamera my father used (A really mammoth piece of work that literally required you to strap a specific VCR (which detaches in half for battery use) it was designed for to your back) had no problems in either situation.

Beowulff
05-31-2009, 08:53 AM
Any chance of exchanging the E2 for another model from the store under some sort of "change-your-mind" policy?

A lot of stores have a 14-day or 30-day return/exchange offer. Or is it too long since you bought it?

Just a thought. :)

Cyber Akuma
05-31-2009, 09:56 AM
Nope, got it on Black Friday

tim11
05-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Never do business on a Black Friday.... :)
Ironically many of the inexpensive compact cameras do good video even indoors and low light situation. I expect the Sanyo Xacti E2 to do better.