PDA

View Full Version : capturing documents with camera

firststeps
05-15-2009, 07:51 AM
I am a novice at this and I work for a company that we use our digital cameras to take pictures of insurance cards and income statement and I am having a hard time doing both. Can you please give me some pointers on what I can do to make both of them more clear? I am using a Canon Powershot A530. Thank you!

firststeps
05-15-2009, 10:21 AM
I am a novice at this and I work for a company that we use our digital cameras to take pictures of insurance cards and income statement and I am having a hard time doing both. Can you please give me some pointers on what I can do to make both of them more clear? I am using a Canon Powershot A530. Thank you! -- Ok so I read this again and it sounds like I am doing something illegal. I am not! I work for First Steps in Indiana and we have to do this instead of taking the insurance card and documents from families. Please help!

D Thompson
05-15-2009, 01:42 PM
What settings are you currently using?

David Metsky
05-15-2009, 02:13 PM
You'll want a tripod (or a document stand) and good lighting. Where are you taking the photos now? How are the documents displayed?

AdamW
05-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Is there a reason you aren't using a scanner? This is what they're designed for....

tim11
05-16-2009, 04:31 PM
.... Can you please give me some pointers on what I can do to make both of them more clear?....
As others said.... placing the document securely on a flat surface and put the camera on a tripod. Or simply use a scanner. Scanner takes a little longer but it will give you the best result.

firststeps
05-19-2009, 06:33 AM
We are in homes of families and are unable to take a scanner with us or tripods. We try to get to the best light but it is not always possible. I have tried every setting on my camera just to see which one works best and I have not found on that does work. Suggestions???

firststeps
05-19-2009, 06:34 AM
As a non-profit organization, we cannot afford the best cameras or equipment. We work on grants to fund our organization and there is just not money for expensive equipment.

firststeps
05-19-2009, 07:04 AM
For this fiscal year, we are out of money. We bought more digital cameras for all of the staff and there is no more money left for this.

David Metsky
05-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Your best bet would be to bring an ultrapod and a small board to pin the documents to. Put the setup somewhere with the best lighting available and set up the camera about 1 foot away on the small tripod. Put the camera in P mode, turn off the flash, set the ISO to 100, and trigger the shutter with a 2 second timer. This will keep the shutter open for long enough to take the shot.

You'll probably also want to set the White Balance to match the lighting. Post processing will clean that up pretty well if you get it wrong.

tim11
05-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Let's take a few steps back: I suggest you place the document the brightest spot in the room, use Tv mode, hold camera steady with 2 hands and DON'T USE the flash. Flash will only wash out the texts in most cases.

If that doesn't work it means you still need a tripod. However, since you are using Canon A530 there is no need for a top of the range heavy duty tripod. There are many inexpensive tripods that you can choose from starting from $20 - $(whatever your limit is). What you need is to make do with some document stands, clips; etc.

As David said, post processing helps a lot but I'd rather get it right at the beginning since PP will end up taking too much time.

bbking
06-15-2009, 05:07 PM
That's probably the best solution.