PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS 50D Digital Camera w/ 28-135mm IS

Spinning
05-07-2009, 04:49 AM
Hi,
I would love any input on this camera. I am shopping for my first DSLR! I really was leanin towards the nikon D 90 but then stumbled upon this one.

The main reason for the purchase is to shoot pictures of my kids' sports. They are on competitive swim team and springboard diving. They swim and dive year round. I know down the road I will need a better lens especially for indoor diving. But I figure I can practice over the summer and hopefully figure out what I am doing and then shop for a lens in the fall.

This camera will also be used of course for every day photos too.

faisal
05-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Good decision to first learn to use the camera and then think about further purchases. :)

The 50D is a good camera. What specifications of the camera have attracted you to it??? Maybe those same things are available with a cheaper 40D which would allow you to invest in better lens...

What made you move away from a D90??

I'm assuming you shoot with a P&S right now...how much zoom does that have and is it enough for shooting the kids cause maybe you might need something more than 135mm....

You're other options could be either the
1) 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS ($160 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/519475-GREY/Canon_2042B002_EF_S_18_55mm_f_3_5_5_6_IS.html)) + 55-200mm f4-5.6 IS ($255 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543923-USA/Canon_2044B002AA_EF_S_55_250mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html))ki t lens
2) 18-200mm IS f3.5-5.6 - $595 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582444-USA/Canon_2752B002_EF_S_18_200mm_f_3_5_5_6_IS.html)

Any further information about your needs would help us help you...

Cheers

Faisal...

FLiPMaRC
05-07-2009, 07:22 AM
FYI ... a Refurbished Nikon D90 (body only) is only $700 at J&R :)

http://www.jr.com/nikon/pe/NKN_D90_hy_RB/?JRSource=linkshare&SiteID=lw9MynSeamY-3HOWJX8Nb*Kzj7qUPxn6vQ

GoneTomorrow
05-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Good decision to first learn to use the camera and then think about further purchases. :)

The 50D is a good camera. What specifications of the camera have attracted you to it??? Maybe those same things are available with a cheaper 40D which would allow you to invest in better lens...

What made you move away from a D90??

I'm assuming you shoot with a P&S right now...how much zoom does that have and is it enough for shooting the kids cause maybe you might need something more than 135mm....

You're other options could be either the
1) 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS ($160 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/519475-GREY/Canon_2042B002_EF_S_18_55mm_f_3_5_5_6_IS.html)) + 55-200mm f4-5.6 IS ($255 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543923-USA/Canon_2044B002AA_EF_S_55_250mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html))ki t lens
2) 18-200mm IS f3.5-5.6 - $595 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582444-USA/Canon_2752B002_EF_S_18_200mm_f_3_5_5_6_IS.html)

Any further information about your needs would help us help you...

Cheers

Faisal...

Good advice, do consider the 40D. It actually has slightly faster burst rate and performs as well (or better) in terms of amount of noise in high ISO shots.

faisal
05-07-2009, 07:30 AM
FYI ... a Refurbished Nikon D90 (body only) is only $700 at J&R :)

http://www.jr.com/nikon/pe/NKN_D90_hy_RB/?JRSource=linkshare&SiteID=lw9MynSeamY-3HOWJX8Nb*Kzj7qUPxn6vQ

If I had a job right now, I would have gotten myself one if the offer was available here cause for that price it's great camera to have.... :eek: (plus I have some manual lens to use with it which helps)
I really wish Canon releases something mind blowing soon that is also in my budget...

downtrodden
05-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Spinning: as an owner of both the 40D and 50D and owning the 28-135mm lens I can tell ya that Faisal's advice is superb here. There really isn't anything significanlty better about the 50D over the 40D.

Buying a 40D would allow you to spend more dough on the lenses- I think 135mm would be just enough zoom to frustrate you more than anything. but you can try it out and see. Hell, if it is enough zoom for ya, you can take the extra money and get a speedlite, which would come in handy for the indoor dives.

FLiPMaRC
05-07-2009, 08:22 AM
If I had a job right now, I would have gotten myself one if the offer was available here cause for that price it's great camera to have.... :eek: (plus I have some manual lens to use with it which helps)
I really wish Canon releases something mind blowing soon that is also in my budget...

Factory Refurbished 40D is going for $750 :) http://www.adorama.com/ICA40DR.html?searchinfo=40d

faisal
05-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Factory Refurbished 40D is going for $750 :) http://www.adorama.com/ICA40DR.html?searchinfo=40d

Cost of getting that delivered here and the import duty would cost me a 430EX...so better to buy one here for $870...brand new!!! ;)

FLiPMaRC
05-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Cost of getting that delivered here and the import duty would cost me a 430EX...so better to buy one here for $870...brand new!!! ;)

:cool: Wow! Brand new 40D body over here is around $890.

GoneTomorrow
05-07-2009, 08:54 AM

I got a new 40D body for $729.00 from US1Camera, but had to go through hell to get it.

FLiPMaRC
05-07-2009, 09:26 AM
I got a new 40D body for $729.00 from US1Camera, but had to go through hell to get it.

Aren't they one of those "bait & switch" online vendors? :eek:

faisal
05-07-2009, 10:28 AM

the starting price is $1000...after going through some serious bargaining I was able to get it down to $900...my friend on the other hand managed $870 out of the same vendor....

These vendors are the ones that import directly and not through the Canon local dealers I think whose price is something close to $1100....

FLiPMaRC
05-07-2009, 11:27 AM
LOL! Your friend has better bargaining skillzzzzz :D

Spinning
05-07-2009, 12:47 PM
my current camera is a fuji s6000 it has a 10x optical zoom.
Orginally I was interested in the D 90 for 2 reasons. first and most important it can shoot up to 4.5 frames per second. This would be extremely helpful to get better diving shots. With my current camera I can usually get the top of the dive, maybe the middle and then top of the feet in the water when she dives off 3 meter. on 1 meter I can get the dive and maybe feet. BUt I am missing the twists or some of the roations. Most of my best dive shots are of the more basic dives, That have basically one motion. such as a back dive, inward, front, 1/2 twist. But if they are doing flips I usually end up with a butt shot and miss the flip. Indoors, well I gave up...sometimes they are acceptable for a memory sake...but not a great photo.....
The second reason. I like the idea of video....we don't have a digital video camera. I really never watched our old tapes. Definately a picture person. But it was nice to have it in my fuji camera and be able to tape a dive or a little skit at school.

I have held the D90 and liked it. But I haven't seen the canon in person. Just read some of the reviews.

It also seems like the lenses for Cannon are cheaper and I thought, I could be wrong you had more lens options with Cannon over nikon.

This is just such a hard thing to purchase....

faisal
05-07-2009, 01:04 PM
For fps...you can't go wrong with a 40D...6.5fps is great!!!
For low light you'd need a good lens for that with good ISO performance(which the 40D has)...
so how much did you need to zoom in with your fuji s6000??....as it will help us recommend a lens for you...

Regarding videos...it's still at its infant stage in DSLR cameras....no continuous auto focus till now so unless you've mastered manual focus, you can't really expect to take good videos with it...

Either Nikon or Canon...you can't really go much wrong with either...both are very capable systems....Lens prices are more or less the same though some people do say that Canon has a better range of lens than Nikon..I can't confirm that cause I'm still a small fry in the world of DSLR....

Handling the camera is a good way to start....try both cameras out and see what feels good in your hand....cause I repeat, you can't go much wrong with either system.

Flossmoor40D
05-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Orginally I was interested in the D 90 for 2 reasons. first and most important it can shoot up to 4.5 frames per second. .

Canon 40D is 6.5 frames per second and the 50D is 6.3 frames per second.
Both of those are in jpg mode. I think it's around 3 fps when shooting RAW.

faisal
05-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Canon 40D is 6.5 frames per second and the 50D is 6.3 frames per second.
Both of those are in jpg mode. I think it's around 3 fps when shooting RAW.

This is what Jeff says in his Review...

"The 40D's continuous shooting mode is top-notch, with a burst rate just edging out the Nikon D300 (on paper, at least). In high speed continuous mode, the camera took 22 RAW, 26 sRAW, and a whopping 184 Large/Fine JPEGs at 6.2 frames/second, slightly lower than advertised. If you downshift to "regular" continuous mode, the frame rate drops to exactly 3 frames/second. It appeared that you could keep shooting JPEGs, while the camera stopped or slowed down after 24 RAW and 57 sRAW images."

I got a shock when you said no 6.5fps when shooting RAW...

Flossmoor40D
05-07-2009, 01:42 PM
I got a shock when you said no 6.5fps when shooting RAW...

Faisal, read me note again. I did mention the 6.5 fps to be in jpeg mode and 3 in RAW.

For what it's worth Spinning, I have used the continuous shooting mode and have gotten a great series of my daughter falling down onto her butt while ice skating. It's almost like watching the old sketch by sketch cartoons being flipped through.

faisal
05-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Faisal, read me note again. I did mention the 6.5 fps to be in jpeg mode and 3 in RAW.

For what it's worth Spinning, I have used the continuous shooting mode and have gotten a great series of my daughter falling down onto her butt while ice skating. It's almost like watching the old sketch by sketch cartoons being flipped through.

I'm confused...

It says in the review you can shoot 6.5fps RAW images when in high speed continues mode....while if I'm right, you're saying it can take only 3fps when shooting RAW....am I missing something... :confused:

Don't mean to argue or anything....I'm a prospective 40/50/60D buyer....just want to clarify...

GoneTomorrow
05-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Aren't they one of those "bait & switch" online vendors? :eek:

Well, sometimes, I'll say. I knew full well when I saw the camera price (obvious bait price), but I checked resellerratings.com anyway, and the reviews were mixed; some never got orders and had to cancel, others had high pressure sales tactics to buy batteries and included accessories, you know, the usual bait 'n' switch shtick. However, there were a lot of positive and semi-positive reviews, and they weren't those fake one-sentence positive reviews done by employees/relatives of the company.

So I took a chance going in based on that, and I wasn't browbeaten into buying extras and everything went smoothly, except for shipping. After a week it didn't ship, so I called, waited forever, and complained loudly, and they upgraded the shipping to overnight, so I got it on the date promised. It turned out to be a 40D with 17-85mm kit with the lens removed, but otherwise it was brand new, zero actuations.

The only regret I have (didn't realize this at the time) is that they are obviously not an authorized Canon reseller, so I probably wouldn't be able to redeem the warranty. But I got a hell of a deal, and the cameras work perfectly after six months!

downtrodden
05-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Faisal, the 40D and 50D both take 6fps RAW in highspeed mode- I just tried it out.

But your shutter speed has to be faster than 1/XX in order for you to get 6fps, so that may be causing some confusion.

Spookonthe8ball
05-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Spinning, you can't go wrong with the 50D. The 40D is a fenominal camera and it cost less money. I chose the 50D because of it's better lcd screen. Is it worth the money difference? It was to me. This is the model that made it for me. Canon software upgrades have vastly improved the banding issues at high iso and I can get pictures (without flash) that were impossible with my Xti. Controls are very easy (must read the manual) and twisting of your lens will seem much like the Fuji S6000 when zooming in except it will be be a pleasant surprise to pull the trigger and it will keep up with you, provided you have the correct lens & settings for the light available. That f number holds true in any make & model you may buy.
Spook

kritiostodd
05-10-2009, 09:55 AM
I'd like to chime in here, as I'm in the same position as the OP: trying to choose between the Canon 40D/50D and the Nikon D90.
Canon>Nikon:
The Canon body feels better in my hands, with the thumb positioning/grip and with the dual command wheel locations as compared to the Nikon. Until I actually went to the store and handled both cameras, I was set on the Nikon.
Nikon>Canon:
Movie mode, cheaper wireless remote.

But like someone already mentioned, the video feature is still in its infancy for DSLRs, and manual focusing (to me, at least) isn't appealing. In my opinion, a DSLR is for taking photos, not video, and if the Mrs. and I want video, we'll get a video camera for movies of the future child(ren).

Can anyone tell me something about wireless remote controls? I like the inexpensive ($16ish) wireless remote control for the Nikon that lets you actuate the shutter. Does Canon offer something similar for less than the ridiculous price mentioned in the DCRP review? Or do other brands work with the Canon?

Csae
05-10-2009, 11:30 AM
I have the YN-128 wireless remote for my 5D. It was like 20$US, works pretty much 100% of the time, max range isn't bad, not great either. Maybe 30 feet? It features half-press AF, and bulb as well as 2sec delay. The receiver for the camera also works without battery as a wired remote if needed.

The only downside for me is that it interfers ALOT with my Cactus V4.... And i mean the rate on them goes down to something like 10%, and alot of times they don't even sync properly so they'll fire before the shutter.