PDA

View Full Version : Dropped my 10-22mm

faisal
05-01-2009, 10:26 PM
My bag was open when I picked it up and down went my 10-22mm. Fell about a meter onto the tiled floor of my house. It focuses fine but the zoom ring has become hard to move because I think the front element has moved along with the plastic around it....

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/faisal7/Others/IMG_1165.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/faisal7/Others/IMG_1169.jpg

Lens still under warranty...I'm guessing it can be fixed, but how should I approach the service center people as I don't trust their judgment or charges....I can drive there tomorrow cause I think their closed today!!

Zoinac
05-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm impressed that you sustained such minor (looking) damage from that kind of a drop. I think that's pretty repairable!

nism
05-02-2009, 01:47 AM
i doubt user error (ie dropping it) is covered by warranty

faisal
05-02-2009, 03:32 AM
It does look like minimal damage and on shaking the lens, I can't hear anything so I'm hoping nothing else is broken.... I did freak out a lot after dropping it and took me some time to relax and check the lens out properly...

I hope the local service center can fix it and I agree it won't be covered under warranty though I wonder how much they will charge...

TheObiJuan
05-02-2009, 04:32 AM
This is why metal bodied lenses are essential to me.
The metal would have taken the beating and maybe lost a little paint, but that's just it.
For $700 you'd think they'd switch to metal from plastic.

Good luck with it, Faisal.

Rooz
05-02-2009, 04:55 AM
i doubt user error (ie dropping it) is covered by warranty

lol, yoiu think ?

cdifoto
05-02-2009, 04:58 AM
A friend of mine had a Kia that was coming apart like that.

Honest Gaza
05-02-2009, 05:53 AM
My camera gear is insured....even against "accidental drops". Hope I never have to test how willing the insurance company is.

faisal
05-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Thanks Obijuan...

Honest Gaza...how much does that insurance cost you??

michaelb
05-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Sorry to hear that faisal. I too am doubtful that Canon will cover that though.

faisal
05-02-2009, 03:11 PM
I just hope they don't rip me off on repair charges...going tomorrow morning!!!

mjsneddon
05-02-2009, 03:37 PM
I have insurance on my stuff. I pay about 150 bucks a year for about $10,000 worth of camera stuff. It is suppose to cover accidental dropping and things such as that and provide the cost of replacement, with no deductible. However, I am told that if I were a professional photographer, I could not get the no deductible part.

It is my opinion that, with insurance, the only way to see what kind of coverage you actually have is to submit a claim.

Have a good day.

Csae
05-02-2009, 03:59 PM
I too was also thinking of getting my gear insurred.

Mostly related to robbery though, and i wonder, i don't have receipts for all my gear anymore. And alot of my gear is now in tiny pieces, a 20$ adapter here, a 10$ cord here, x4... 40$ lightstand... another ugh, it adds up. I wonder how they value stuff. If i trek along most of my gear and get the car stolen... Sigh, thats what worrys me most nowadays. My boss just got his car stolen the other week in broad daylight, they found it a week or two later, though empty of course.

Not to mention most of my gear is used, so even the receipts i have, its to other people.

Sometimes its best to have a story ahead of time, someone bumped into you while taking a shot, a biker perhaps, sometimes its best to just be honest, and they'll actually cover you, even if they shouldn't. Sometimes.

lukeap69
05-02-2009, 11:38 PM
I just hope they don't rip me off on repair charges...going tomorrow morning!!!

don't bet on it faisal. :p

from my experience with them, it will be a rip off and it will take ages before you can get it after repair. :eek:

Gintaras
05-02-2009, 11:41 PM
sorry to hear this Faisal, hope you will be able to repair that at minimal cost.

as concerns insurance, yes this is a wise thing to have when once in a while something happens, but when nothing happens to your gear in 5 years you must consider dropping down intentionally at least one lens to compensate for the costs you paid without recourse ;~)

sure, insurance makes sense ...

cdifoto
05-03-2009, 12:00 AM
I too was also thinking of getting my gear insurred.

Mostly related to robbery though, and i wonder, i don't have receipts for all my gear anymore. And alot of my gear is now in tiny pieces, a 20$ adapter here, a 10$ cord here, x4... 40$ lightstand... another ugh, it adds up. I wonder how they value stuff. If i trek along most of my gear and get the car stolen... Sigh, thats what worrys me most nowadays. My boss just got his car stolen the other week in broad daylight, they found it a week or two later, though empty of course.

Not to mention most of my gear is used, so even the receipts i have, its to other people.

Sometimes its best to have a story ahead of time, someone bumped into you while taking a shot, a biker perhaps, sometimes its best to just be honest, and they'll actually cover you, even if they shouldn't. Sometimes.

I provided printouts from the places I'd go to if I needed to replace it ASAP. B&H (I'm insured for replacement value, so I used the 1D III page for my Mark II, 50D for my 10D, etc) They totaled it up then added a buffer for rentals and such. I'm insured to something like $25,000 worth of kit I think even though I only have $10,000 worth in my bag.

I pay signifinicantly more than mjsneddon and have a $500 deductible, BUT it's basically a no-questions-asked international coverage policy. No matter what happens it gets replaced. So if my 1D II and 24-70L drops into the ocean in Jamaica (hopefully it doesn't!), it gets replaced with a 1D III and new 24-70L.

Rooz
05-03-2009, 01:30 AM
My camera gear is insured....even against "accidental drops". Hope I never have to test how willing the insurance company is.

who are you insured with ?

Csae
05-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I provided printouts from the places I'd go to if I needed to replace it ASAP.

I'm insured for replacement value, so I used the 1D III page for my Mark II, 50D for my 10D, etc

I don't quite understand what you mean... could you please rephrase that in dummy english ?:(

Am i to understand that B&H insures you? ?! I've also been looking at getting my stuff insured, well, thought about it anyways, i might use the insurer that i get with work, or maybe another one and get my apartement on the same page, in case of water leak or other non-sense.

Im reallly paranoid about getting stuff stolen, so i end up not using it nearly as much as i should or could, insurance would lift a big load off my shoulders. Feel free to pm me if you dont want to post it publicly.

cdifoto
05-03-2009, 05:15 PM
B&H doesn't insure. I printed out product pages and took them to my agent. I bought some stuff used and some stuff new but if something gets lost, stolen, or destroyed, I'm probably not going to have time to scour the net for used deals again. I'll likely just need to call up B&H (or whoever supplies whatever it is that's gone) and have them ship one out ASAP. 1D IIs have been discontinued, as has my 10D...

Get it?

Now, whether my insurance company is actually that good, I hope I never find out.

jwhite
05-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Before I had the IS version of the 70-200, I had the non-IS f/2.8. I basically did the same thing, had the camera bag open and pulled the bag out of my truck. Out toppled the lens on pavement. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Boy was I not happy. It was a couple hundred to get repaired at Canon if I remember correctly.

Oh my, I'm much much more careful now!

Faisal, hopefully your bill won't be too much.

Jason

Csae
05-03-2009, 10:08 PM
So.. uh, im gonna need to ask.

Why aren't you stomping over your 10d and 1ds II yet?

I mean, if you are insured against anything, and you get a 1ds III and a 50d...

What exactly is holding you back? The doubt... But if you doubting them why even pay them at all... Better get to know if they are for real right off the bat no?

Theres something im missing... could this be called decency.. Lies!

cdifoto
05-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Well I sold the 10D and insurance companies aren't exactly benevolent guardians. Plus there's that whole insurance fraud thing and they definitely don't pay out if they find out you were attempting to commit it. There isn't an insurance policy on the planet that covers Intentional Destruction.

Honest Gaza
05-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks Obijuan...

Honest Gaza...how much does that insurance cost you??

Listed as "Portable Valuables" for approx $9,000....costs me an additional $270 on top of the normal insurance policy (all $$$ in AUS)

Rooz....it's with AAMI

For me, it's knowing that it's covered when sitting in a hotel room while on holiday, sitting in the boot of the car while walking about....the "accidental breakage" is just another aspect/benefit of the policy.

Rooz
05-03-2009, 11:02 PM
is that a part of your home insurance or a separate specified item ?

Honest Gaza
05-04-2009, 12:29 AM
I have Building and Contents under the same policy....and the camera gear is listed as "Extra Cover for Portable Valuables".

Each item is listed individually within that Cover.

Rooz
05-04-2009, 01:34 AM
excellent thanks mate.
i have AAMI aswell so will have to chase that up.

Honest Gaza
05-04-2009, 03:33 AM
excellent thanks mate.
i have AAMI aswell so will have to chase that up.

I'm not sure if they will insure your's for as much....being Nikon and all :p :D

Rooz
05-04-2009, 04:48 AM
I'm not sure if they will insure your's for as much....being Nikon and all :p :D

yeah...maybe your right. i think they see your gear as a pretty safe bet considering no one in their right mind would actually want to steal canon stuff. your premium is like taking candy from a baby really...:D

FLiPMaRC
05-05-2009, 11:00 AM
:( Sorry to hear about your mishap Faisal. Good luck with the repair.