PDA

View Full Version : My new Mini

devin
04-27-2009, 10:05 AM
I am trying to get better at car photography and took these of my new car ('03 Mini Cooper S). It's just the kit lens on my XSi but I think I'm gettin better. You like? :D

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/djphonics/Mini%20Cooper%20S/MiniCooperSNew001.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/djphonics/Mini%20Cooper%20S/MiniCooperSNew002.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/djphonics/Mini%20Cooper%20S/MiniCooperSNew003.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/djphonics/Mini%20Cooper%20S/MiniCooperSNew004.jpg

TheObiJuan
04-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Cute car, I hope the diesel comes to the US.

Some suggestions would be:
Shoot an hour before dark so you down blow your highlights
Use a polarized and spin it until reflections go away or deminish
Park it on grass away from distractions so the car is the focus

devin
04-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Obi. I actually wanted to go to the airport and shoot on top of the parking garage but I said eff it and got lazy and just shot in my driveway :D. You're right it doesn't make a great background. Too much going on and not great contrast.

Turo
04-27-2009, 01:53 PM
I really like the last one, I know some details are lost in the bright and dark areas, but I think it looks cool :cool:. The first one isn't bad either, but the background is a bit overexposed. But they look good overall! Definitely try the parking garage idea, I think that will yield some great shots!

And cool car, I love the way those little things handle!

Rhys
04-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Cute car, I hope the diesel comes to the US.

Heck yes. Diesel engines are so much better. They'll burn corn oil, olive oil, diesel, ordinary petrol (gasoline) and paraffin.

K1W1
04-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Heck yes. Diesel engines are so much better. They'll burn corn oil, olive oil, diesel, ordinary petrol (gasoline) and paraffin.

Sorry to get OT but modern diesel engines are highly sophisticated and will not burn olive oil or corn oil or paraffin and you cannot under any circumstance ever put petrol (gasoline) into any diesel engine and you never have been able to.

K1W1
04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
This one is my favourite angle but as others have mentioned it's a shame about the background.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/djphonics/Mini%20Cooper%20S/MiniCooperSNew001.jpg

Rhys
04-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Sorry to get OT but modern diesel engines are highly sophisticated and will not burn olive oil or corn oil or paraffin and you cannot under any circumstance ever put petrol (gasoline) into any diesel engine and you never have been able to.

No. I have a friend who runs a standard Ford Transit on vegetable oil (usually corn oil) in preference to diesel as it's a load cheaper.

Gustav Diesel who designed the diesel engine designed it to run on peanut oil.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Story?id=2189517&page=1

When there was a fuel strike in Britain a couple of years ago, the only vehicles still running after a few days were vehicles with diesel engines and they all zoomed around smelling like chip shops as they were running on 100% vegetable oil.

The trick with vegetable oil is to use preferably used vegetable oil then to filter it through a piece of cloth and to pour a cap full of turpentine into it (it's not essential but cleans the valves).

TheObiJuan
04-27-2009, 09:08 PM
The debate is out there whether the use of biofuels is detrimental to the newer style diesels, like BlueTec.
Everywhere I read says it's fine, then I come along an article that says, NO!

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2006/plenary2/2006_deer_godwin.pdf

K1W1
04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Gustav Diesel who designed the diesel engine designed it to run on peanut oil.

Gustav Diesel didn't live in the days of Fuel Emission regulations, Common Rail Fuel Injection, Catalytic Converters, low sulphur diesel, or turbo charged engines.

Dread Pirate Roberts
04-28-2009, 03:55 AM
Or the ethics of buying food crops from the third world and making bio-fuels out of them so we middle class westerners can feel clean and green.

Nice pics, was watching that car on top gear last night.

Rhys
04-28-2009, 06:33 AM
Diesels don't have catalytic converters.

Bio-diesel is low sulphur.

Turbo charging makes no difference to the fuel one can use as it works solely off exhaust gasses.

Diesels - particularly in Europe - are normally aspirated, not injected. In fact, few engines are injected in Europe - it drives the performance up and the insurance also.

I see nothing wrong with buying crops from the 3rd world. It might encourage them to green the deserts.

Dread Pirate Roberts
04-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Consuming crops for fuel pushes up the price of food so the very poor can't afford as much. Supply and demand.

TheObiJuan
04-28-2009, 07:59 AM
If we'd have our farmers farm for biofuel use instead of being paid NOT to farm by the US Government, then perhaps the price would go down.
In Texas many friends have family that do not farm their acreage and get subsidies instead.

Rhys
04-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Consuming crops for fuel pushes up the price of food so the very poor can't afford as much. Supply and demand.

You are assuming a finite quantity of farmers on a finite quantity of fields. The fact is that bi-fuel crops can be grown in areas not normally farmed, very successfully and that unemployed labour can become productive farmers.

If we'd have our farmers farm for biofuel use instead of being paid NOT to farm by the US Government, then perhaps the price would go down.
In Texas many friends have family that do not farm their acreage and get subsidies instead.

I have no problem with that. Colza is an excellent source of bio-fuels. The problem is that most people drive petrol vehicles in the US as opposed to diesel. Petrol vehicles only run on lighter fuel types and most can't take ethenol (which is cheaper) because the manufacturers have designed them with components that can't take ethenol (the gaskets).

Dread Pirate Roberts
04-30-2009, 04:54 AM
Rhys I disagree with both your points above but I won't continue the argument because I appreciate this is an unwanted thread hijack and it was me that first got onto the ethics thing.

So back on topic - Can we have another photo of the mini without the blown background?

Turo
04-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Diesels don't have catalytic converters.

Actually, many modern day diesel engines do, to cope with emissions laws (remember, one gallon of diesel outputs more CO2 than one gallon of unleaded gasolie). If you look under any modern Audi, Ford, Chevy, etc... you'll see at least one or two catalytic converter (sometimes up to 6! :eek:).

Turbo charging makes no difference to the fuel one can use as it works solely off exhaust gasses.

True, unless the turbo is generating enough boost to increases the engine's dynamic compression ratio beyond what diesel is capable of handling. In that case, the fuel WILL make a difference. ;)

I see nothing wrong with buying crops from the 3rd world. It might encourage them to green the deserts.

Well, they call it a desert for a reason, right? ;) :p

Oh and sorry for continuing the hi-jack!!

devin
04-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Hey enough diesel arguments! :D

It's ok, I don't mind.

I'm gonna try and get some more pics this weekend with a better background. :)

Rhys
04-30-2009, 12:51 PM
How about some scantily clad girls posing provocatively against your car :p Should help when you want to sell it.