PDA

View Full Version : Exif Querie

Geoff Chandler
01-29-2005, 07:33 AM
Is there an easy/simple way to save/store the exif files off each picture??
Sure I can view them individually, and I can pick up a pen, or type them in somewhere - reading them back off the camera - but some people seem to be able to display their pictures with Exif files available for people to see.
Could be I'm dumb ~ hopefully I just missed something simple.
Cheers

Geoff :cool:

Geoff Chandler
01-31-2005, 08:24 AM
Oh well - never mind - I guess it's not that important.
If I need them I will maybe add some notes via explorer in the properties for future reference - although it's probably not going to happen.
I'll just take the photos and enjoy them.
Geoff

judge9847
01-31-2005, 01:01 PM
Oh well - never mind - I guess it's not that important.
If I need them I will maybe add some notes via explorer in the properties for future reference - although it's probably not going to happen.
I'll just take the photos and enjoy them.
Geoff
Geoff, I guess the reason why nobody's answered is because like me, they're maybe not too sure what you want to do.

The way I read it is that you want somehow - and for some reason - to export the EXIF data for each of your photos to say a separate file of some sort. Is that correct? The answer is that yes, it can be done, but I can't think why on earth you'd want to do it. The management of that data in the future is the stuff of nightmares I would imagine!!

Are you aware that provided you keep the formatting (your photo editing program will tell you how to do that to ensure it) you'll keep the EXIF data with any copies of your image you make. After that, if you want to post them to a website (pBase comes to mind) the site's software will read the EXIF header data and extract what it wants to add to the detail of your photo. You don't have to do anything at all. It just happens!

If you want to show the EXIF data say as part of your slideshow for instance, some software packages give you the option of doing that and again it's automatic.

Hope that helps.

Geoff Chandler
01-31-2005, 03:59 PM
I'll look into that then - the only place I have ever viewed this data is on the camera. It's just that a lot of example I have viewed have had the Exif available also.
Thanks
Geoff

TekNoir
02-03-2005, 01:40 PM
When you see an image hosted on a photo-sharing site that has EXIF information listed with the image it was most likely extracted directly from the image by the software used by the webserver. No one takes the time to type all of that information in, as some people may upload thousands of photos a week or more. That would get quite tedious, so a good number of these photo-sharing sites have support for automatically grabbing EXIF information from the photo.

Having said that, there are multiple ways and numerous softwares to help you to accomplish what you had originally asked. The particular software that I use is called IEXIF and is available from Opanda (http://www.opanda.com/en/index.html). This software allows you to see the EXIF information contained in any image downloaded to your computer from your camera. It also adds the wonderful (and somewhat unique) ability to right click on any photograph in your webbrowser and extract the EXIF information for that image on the fly. This allows you to see the EXIF information for other people's photos who may have them on a webserver that doesn't automatically grab EXIF data from an image.

Another good piece of software that allows reading and exporting EXIF data is Exif Reader by Ryuuji Yoshimoto and is available from his website here (http://www.takenet.or.jp/~ryuuji/minisoft/exifread/english/). This program has some of the best support for displaying manufacturer specific information encoded into the EXIF data of any I've been able to find.

Another piece of software that is widely used is Exifer by Friedemann Schmidt which you can download from his website here (http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/). This is part image browser, part EXIF data viewer. This program has support for batch EXIF exports and imports.

Hope that I've helped some...

hornpipe
02-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Is there an easy/simple way to save/store the exif files off each picture??
Sure I can view them individually, and I can pick up a pen, or type them in somewhere - reading them back off the camera - but some people seem to be able to display their pictures with Exif files available for people to see.
Could be I'm dumb ~ hopefully I just missed something simple.
Cheers

Geoff :cool:

I am not sure whether I am missing something or you are. When you save your images in a computer (XP in my case) then right click on the apprpriate file and select Properties/Summary which will display the EXIF data.

hornpipe

Geoff Chandler
02-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Best I upgrade to XP then!! never got around to it & still have W98!!
It's not a desperately important matter - it's just that I have seen these Exif's available on images and didn't know how they get there as I haven't seen them appart from on the camera ~ now I know
Thanks everyone :D
Geoff

Norm in Fujino
02-06-2005, 05:05 PM
If you want to see all exif data independently of the camera, get an inexpensive photo viewing program like PIE (http://www.picmeta.com/) (there are a variety of others also available). PIE also allows you to rotate JPEGs without any recompression loss.

gary_hendricks
02-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Hornpipe is correct. You can simply right click the folder pane (i.e. where the Name, Size, Type, Date Modified stuff is displayed) in Windows XP and select to see EXIF data.

Rhys
02-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Hornpipe is correct. You can simply right click the folder pane (i.e. where the Name, Size, Type, Date Modified stuff is displayed) in Windows XP and select to see EXIF data.

Yes but you can't copy the text. You can only do a screen shot of it.

judge9847
02-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Absolutely correct. The original query was for an "easy/simple way to save/store the exif files off each picture". Surely the answer is to leave the data with the image where it was created in the first place.

gary_hendricks
02-09-2005, 10:41 AM

Oops - ok now I get wat you're trying to say. Have you tried ACDSee? I remember that program can export EXIF data as Excel spreadsheets. If I'm not wrong it's into Version 7 now.

judge9847
02-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Oops - ok now I get wat you're trying to say. Have you tried ACDSee? I remember that program can export EXIF data as Excel spreadsheets. If I'm not wrong it's into Version 7 now.
ACDsee can export metadata as a batch process which creates a file that can then be imported into an Access database. There are some set-up issues (separate folder and so on) but it can be done. I'd guess Excel should be able to read that file as well. :)