PDA

View Full Version : Which camera to buy: indoor / outdoor kids pictures

ergla
04-26-2009, 06:32 AM
We are looking to buy a new camera and the last time we did this, it was a long trial and error process that I don't think we got quite right in the end.

Almost all of our pictures are of our children. Both indoor and outdoor. Some still shots but most are trying to catch them in the moment.

Which camera should I buy?

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. $300 or less

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?: Doesn't matter.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify) : Standard

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10): 8

Do you care for manual controls? we would prefer the most simple point and click as we can get.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Maybe an occasional 8*10, but nothing more then that and we could skip this if it meant finding the right camera for our other needs.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Yes

Are there particular brands you like or hate? No

Are there particular models you already have in mind? No

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD): Just to have the easiest camera to use, wife would like it to be as point and click as possible.

speaklightly
04-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Walmart has the Kodak Z-1012 at $199.95. It will give you 10mp, 12X Optical Zoom, an excellent IS system, and both auto and manual controls. We have a family of 8 children and it has been a great camera for me. You might want to check it out.

Sarah Joyce

KCook
04-26-2009, 08:34 AM
I don't see a clear choice. The most user-friendly cameras are budget jobs, such as the Canon A1100 IS or E1. Of course these are a little soft on performance. Up at the $300 level there are cameras with good performance which can be set to a fully Auto mode. So these can be used in the same way as a budget job. But their more advanced features may become an issue if the camera is shared by various people. Then there is a risk that somebody will leave some camera settings off of the full Auto setting. When in doubt buy from a store that makes returns easy!

Kelly Cook