PDA

View Full Version : Microdrives

BOSS
01-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Problems With Compatibility With The Canon 20d?
Tried Several Makes No Go With Any What Have You Used Do They Work?

ktixx
01-31-2005, 10:09 PM
Problems With Compatibility With The Canon 20d?
Tried Several Makes No Go With Any What Have You Used Do They Work?

I think that there were some compatibility with microdrives used in the 20D at first, but I think Canon fixed that with their Firmware upgrade Version 1.1.0. Just check the firmware version in the menu. From what I have read most people don't use microdrives because they are just too unreliable, and Flash memory cards are available in the 4 and even 8gb sizes now (although they are pretty expensive with the 8GB costing approx $1000). For me personally, I purchased a 1GB CF Ultra II card and an RCA RD 2780 (RCA LYRA). The lyra has a 20GB hard drive and a compact flash card reader built in. I don't shoot weddings or anything that requires me to constantly be ready to shoot so the fact that the card takes 10 minutes to fully download to the RCA Lyra doesn't pose a problem for me. If you are a person who constantly needs to be ready to shoot you can just purchase 2 cards and the portable hard drive or even just purchase a 3 or 4 cards and ditch the portable hard drive. The Flash memory cards are faster and much more reliable than the microdrives and I think most people will tell you to stay away from microdrives.
Good luck, hope this helps
Ken