PDA

View Full Version : 12-24 f/4G Ultra-wide angle Nikkor

robrob8
01-28-2005, 11:31 PM
I will be getting this lens next week. Does anyone have any tips for it';s use, style of photography or thing sto watch for or try? Thanks in advance.
http://www.nikon.ca/cameras/products/lenses/12_24mm/default.asp

Samuel Lo
01-30-2005, 07:35 PM
I will be getting this lens next week. Does anyone have any tips for it';s use, style of photography or thing sto watch for or try? Thanks in advance.

I use the 12-24mm lens for one year, this is a very nice lens, with good optical performance; with internal focus and silent wave motor, autofocus is lighting fast and low power consumption (that's mean you can shoot picture form the same battery). My complaint is: Nikon do the best to minimize the image distortion, but that's sometimes I may need. It's difficult to get a wide-angle lens' characteristic curved horizontal line when you put the camera at horizontal level; I have to tilt a bit up or down. Another point is metering: it always under exposure no matter center-weighted, matrix or spot meter (I use it with D100 and Fuji S3). I have to add +0.3 or even +1 to make it to normal exposure.

Otherwise it is an excellent lens.

Have fun with your new lens.

erichlund
01-31-2005, 08:41 AM
<<snip>>
Another point is metering: it always under exposure no matter center-weighted, matrix or spot meter (I use it with D100 and Fuji S3). I have to add +0.3 or even +1 to make it to normal exposure.

Exposure is determined in the camera meter. The lens only delivers the light. The camera determines how much is a proper exposure. If the lens diaphram is defective and, stopped down, is not delivering as much light as it should for a given exposure, then it could be the lens. Does it underexpose in aperture priority with the lens set wide open? If so, it's your meter that is under exposing. Of course, with the D70, this is normal. I'm not familiar with the D100 or S3.

Cheers,
Eric

Samuel Lo
01-31-2005, 09:23 AM
Exposure is determined in the camera meter. The lens only delivers the light. The camera determines how much is a proper exposure. If the lens diaphram is defective and, stopped down, is not delivering as much light as it should for a given exposure, then it could be the lens. Does it underexpose in aperture priority with the lens set wide open? If so, it's your meter that is under exposing. Of course, with the D70, this is normal. I'm not familiar with the D100 or S3.

Cheers,
Eric

I agree that light meter determine the exposure. With other lens, the exposure is alright; of course, they are not the same focal length, it's hard to be compared. Only if I have another 12-24mm lens, I can have a AB test. May be I got a bad lens, but I don't think I have to spend money to fix it if it still working fine.

Thanks.

Samuel

robrob8
02-19-2005, 09:29 AM

I now have the lens and am quite happy with it although, as stated in this forum, the photos are somewhat under-exposed.
I ahve another question to pose:
Does anyone use the EGG Solution for 306 photos ? www.eggsolution.com
I also have this panorama lens and want to us eit with my D70, but the minimum focus is 13cm, quite a bit closer that the exisiting Nikon lenses that I have (18-70 and the 12-24). Any suggestions as to how to get this combination to work? I'd like to have to stay away from stitching the photos or getting a fisheye lens if at all possible.

gary_hendricks
02-20-2005, 09:27 AM
I use the 12-24mm lens for one year, this is a very nice lens, with good optical performance; with internal focus and silent wave motor, autofocus is lighting fast and low power consumption (that's mean you can shoot picture form the same battery). My complaint is: Nikon do the best to minimize the image distortion, but that's sometimes I may need. It's difficult to get a wide-angle lens' characteristic curved horizontal line when you put the camera at horizontal level; I have to tilt a bit up or down. Another point is metering: it always under exposure no matter center-weighted, matrix or spot meter (I use it with D100 and Fuji S3). I have to add +0.3 or even +1 to make it to normal exposure.

I agree with Samuel. The lens is pretty good - my only complaint is the metering underexposure.

Samuel Lo
02-20-2005, 08:11 PM
I agree with Samuel. The lens is pretty good - my only complaint is the metering underexposure.

It may not anything of metering form the camera; I'm wondering if the problem come from the aperture control of the Lens, i.e. if we set the aperture to 8, it may not open to 8, may be a bit smaller, then it courses underexposure. I found if the aperture is opened completely, there is no underexposure problem.