PDA

View Full Version : Help with my C2040 zoom digital camera!

Norma
01-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Hello and hellllllllp!

I have been trying for a long time to figure out how to get my pics down loaded to my desktop and laptop. On both of my computers I have Windows XP, on the desktop I have SP2 downloaded but not on the laptop. I went to the olympus website for downloads and got a patch for camedia 2.5. Still I am unable to get my computer to read the olympus camera. I have an installation disk to use a ZIO card reader. The website www.microtechint.com no longer exist, so I am unable to obtain any updates of any kind , or help. When I tried to install the ZIO disk, my XP gives me all these crazy warnings to uninstall immediately or DIE! I've read some where that a user is able to use their ZIO card with out any software downloads. I plug in my ZIO but still nothing happens. This is driving me crazy, I'm not a computer wiz but for pity's sake I CAN READ! However, I'm still not successful at getting my pics off the cards. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME! :confused:

kgosden
01-27-2005, 11:15 PM
What exactly are the warnings you get with the Zio!. Are they actual uninstall warnings or just the meesage about the device drivers not being 'certified' under XP (or similar verbage)? If it is just the 'certified' warning you can safely ignore it. I certainly have used my Zio! reader with several XP PC's with no ill affects. XP should recognize most any card reader without the need for drivers.

It has been a while since the C-2040 was out, but the Olympus web site explains that the C-2040 is recognized as a removeable drive under 'Explorer' just like most modern digicams; no Camedia software is required. Here is the text from Olympus,

"Autoconnect USB cameras are recognized by Windows 2000, ME, and XP as a separate drive, which is listed as a "Removable Disk Drive". Because it is a
separate drive, the Camedia Software is optional to download images. You can easily drag and drop images directly from the camera's assigned drive to any folder on your computer."

Norma
02-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Hello,
Thanks so much for your reply. Yes I purchased my camera about 5 years ago. It worked fined, but I put it on the back burner and kept taking pics w/my SLR. Now I really like to get started, but nothing seems to help. As for the info you shared with me, I will try. The ZIO doe's give me the certif warning. I will reinstall it on Friday and ignore the warning sign. Can you tell I'm just a newbie? I guess I don't really understand this drag and drop method. When I have the camera connected to the laptop. I go to my camedia and I see "my camera" icon. When I click on it, it tells me that the camera might not be connected. It gives me two other items of info that I don't remember this late in the evening. I just took a quick glance at the site and was happy for your one reply. I will keep in touch and fill you in. I will let you know of the other 2 error messages. I will try the ZIO, I have hope! Thanks again for taking the time to enlighten me. Have a great day! :)

kgosden
02-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Ignore Camedia if your camera is treated as a USB Mass Storage device it will show up under 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer'. If not then your Zio! or some other card reader certainly will.. Try a Dazzle or any of the million-in-one memory card readers on your grocer's shelf (yes, supermarkets really carry card readers these days). A card reader that can handle SmartMedia, SD, compact flash and more should only cost $10-20. And they ALL should look just like any other drive to Windows XP.