PDA

View Full Version : Canon S410

picfriendly
08-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Hello,

I am really interested in the Canon S410 , but I am still debating between this camera & the Sony Cyper-Shot DSC-W1.

I like both because they are small & cute. I am sorry I am a girl! However, I want to make the right decision. So, if anyone has the Canon & can let me know the good, the bad & the ugly about the camera I would be truly greatful. I want an easy to use camera, that will last me a long time & will be a good investment. I am not a pro, but I love taking pics of family, friends, events or just about anything & don't want want to haev to worry that my camera will not do a good job.

Please...need advice!
:)

speaklightly
08-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi Picfiendly-

We do not own the Canon S410. However, we do own the Sony W-1 and it is a great digital camera that is very easy to use. The Sony accessories offered are priced too high though.

Read the review of the Sony W-1 on this site. it gives lots of details. Before we purchased our Sony W-1 we used both cameras because we had friends that owned both digital cameras. We felt that the Sony W-1 was more user friendly and easier to use.

The clincher was when I fount the Sony W-1 on sale. So we purchased it. It is a great little camera.

Sarah Joyce

John_Reed
08-09-2004, 06:19 PM
I know you have quite a collection of digital cameras, since you're teaching classes and writing books on the subject, etc. My question is, when you're running out the door, late for an engagement, and you quickly grab a camera, which one do you grab?

speaklightly
08-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Hi John-

Its good to chat. I always carry a 3X optical zoom digital camera and a 10-12X optical zoom digital camera in my purse wherever I go. Beyond that we try to match the digital camera to the shooting situation.

I won't tell you, but my husband will tell yopu that we currently have 39 digital camera in our inventory. The main reason is that whenever someone hands us their digital camera and wants one of us to show them something, it is very important that we are familiar with their digital camera.

Sometimes we encounter some rather rare digital cameras. On our recent Alaskan contract, for example, I got handed an Epson 3100 which I had not seen in several years. Your recent digital photos at the Corning Glass Museum looked great, John.

Sarah Joyce

John_Reed
08-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Hi John-

Its good to chat. I always carry a 3X optical zoom digital camera and a 10-12X optical zoom digital camera in my purse wherever I go. Beyond that we try to match the digital camera to the shooting situation.

I won't tell you, but my husband will tell yopu that we currently have 39 digital camera in our inventory. The main reason is that whenever someone hands us their digital camera and wants one of us to show them something, it is very important that we are familiar with their digital camera.

Sometimes we encounter some rather rare digital cameras. On our recent Alaskan contract, for example, I got handed an Epson 3100 which I had not seen in several years. Your recent digital photos at the Corning Glass Museum looked great, John.

Sarah JoyceThanks for the kudos, though I guess you have to be a little careful about naming your brands, come to think of it. Hey, maybe you could pick up some residuals for a little "brand recognition?" ;)

Rhys
08-10-2004, 04:49 AM
Hi John-

Sarah Joyce

Well, I have 3 digital cameras - Nikon 995, 3100 and Canon S1.

I almost always have the 3100 in one shirt pocket (with fresh batteries and at least 128mb memory card) and two mobile phones in the other shirt pocket (it kind of balances me).

When I go out to photograph flowers or butteflies then I take my 995 and leave the 3100 at home.

At other times, when I want to be more creative then I'll take the S1.

Quite honestly the downer with the S1 is the purple fringing while the downer with the 995 is the battery (and the red fringing on sunsets) and the downer with the 3100 is the auto-ASA.

The upsides are the niches - 995 for macro, 3100 for out and about, S1 for creative photos.

John_Reed
08-10-2004, 08:09 AM
Quite honestly the downer with the S1 is the purple fringing...Rhys, this plugin (http://www.shaystephens.com/ca-ps.asp) does an amazing job, and it's very easy to use, both for "purple fringing" (or banding) and for other CA aberrations of different colors as well. And it doesn't seem to detract from the image sharpness, to its credit.

judge9847
08-10-2004, 09:29 AM
I'll happily endorse what John says about that plugin. He put me on to it and it's very, very good indeed. Cost me the equivalent of $10 which is about half that in ús sterling and it's well up there with the really "great value" items I've acquired over the years.

Works with Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro but note that for Photoshop it's an action and for PSP you do need version 8 or more because it's a script. I suppose that strictly speaking, it's not really a plugin because of that but whatever, it's terrific. I've already learned not to hold back on the zooming side of things because it seems to work much better with over-zoomed images.

Ash Mishra
08-13-2004, 05:44 AM
Hi there,

I bought the Canon 410 about 2 months ago -- it was replacing a Fuji 4700 that I've taken 8000 photos with.

It was a hard decision to buy the Canon over the Dimage G400 and many many other choices.

In the end, after downloading and comparing photos between the different cameras, the Canon was the clear winner for quality given it's dimunitive size, and I bought it.

Here's some pro's and con's:

Cons
The LCD is really small and smudges easily
I find that I need to shoot with -1/3 exposure compensation quite often, otherwise my pictures are too overexposed
It's equivalent of 36mm. I would have preferred something a bit wider (32mm) like say the Fuji 710, or even better (28mm) like the Canon S60.
Video mode is virtually useless

Pros
Build quality is superb. It's nice to use too, and exudes finesse.
It's very portable and I can even stash it in my jean pockets
Battery life is very good
It uses Compact Flash which is cheap and readily available
It takes good sharp photos

Other comments
There are virtually no manual controls (no aperture or shutter settings), and that leaves me somewhat disappointed. BUT you will be surprised at what you can achieve with just ISO, white balance, and exposure compensation!

Good luck in your choice.

kewtpie
08-13-2005, 12:03 AM
Hi-

I have three Canons now, the Powershot S30 (my first and still a winner),
a G5 (as church photog. I needed a bigger flash), and the S410. I wanted something smaller to get great shots on the run.
I think the S410 is awesome. I take it on vacation and like that fact I can record short clips on it. True it doesn't have tons of control choices, but it takes outstanding pix. I think the battery life is really good, too.
Next on my "to buy" list: a Canon Digital SLR. :D

Take care,
Kristy

lgvelez
08-13-2005, 06:46 AM
I have a Canon A95, which I absolutely adore. I had an A80, but sold it when the A95 came out. I have never regretted that! It is so easy to use.

I also have a Canon S500, which I bought a few months ago to live in my purse ... I sort of regret it, because the lcd is too small ... or maybe my arms are too short!

My new camera is the S2, which I am loving more and more each day. I am in a major learning curve with it, which is going to take a while since I am currently working 2 jobs, 6 - 7 days a week.

The camera that lives in my purse is my A95 ... not exactly a small P&S, but it's results are so worth it!

Laura in TX

RiCoChEt
08-13-2005, 08:45 AM
For a small, comfortable camera you should look into the Digital ELPH line (mostly the Canon SD300, SD400 and SD500). The latter of the example cameras are much more expensive, but the image quality is awesome for a compact, showcasing brilliant and vivid colors.

If you want a really sexy camera, you should look to get the Sony DSC-T7. Other than a weak flash and above average image quality, the Sony is one of the thinnest respected cameras on the market.

If you're looking into the ultimate camera in the compact series, I would seriously recommend the AA-battery consuming Sony DSC-W7.

Donato777
08-13-2005, 03:37 PM
How are these wide angle cameras in terms of image quality. I am looking for a compact that offer brilliant, vivid colors and good battery life. I am considering the SD500, but these models offer the advantage of a wide angle lens. Thanks. What do you think about these RiCoChEt? Speaklightly?

RiCoChEt
08-14-2005, 02:51 PM
I've heard good things about the Canon Powershot G6, in comparison to the S70 and S60.

The S70 and S60 are almost very similar except for the MP difference and in some ways share the same relationship as the SD500 and SD400.

Don't take my word for it, I'm only especially knowledgeable when it comes to the point and shoot compacts.

Donato777
08-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks,
Actually, the S60/70 are considered compact P&S but they have lots of manual controls and a wide angle lens, whereas the G6, and Elph models do not have a wide angle capability without an attached lens.