PDA

View Full Version : best shooting mode for night and day baseball games

dixiedog
03-12-2009, 09:03 AM
I have a Nikon D40X and can't seem to find the right mode or settings to get good action shots at night baseball games. I am an amatuer at best and really could use advice from anyone willing to give it. I tried sports mode and got alot of blurring of bat swings and the same when trying to capture runners. I was using a 70-300mm lens if that is any help. Thanks for assisting. Also could use advice for day games as well.

Rhys
03-12-2009, 10:04 AM
The action will be quite a way away. You want to put the camera into sport mode or use aperture priority and leave the aperture as wide as possible. You might also want to raise the ISO.

Csae
03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
You will want a high shutter speed. The higher the better. (This is what will remove the blurryness caused by motion)

So, you want a wide aperture, in english, the lower the number the better. f1.8 is wider then f 4.0 for example. Set it to the lowest number possible on your lens and forget it.

Then you want a high shutter speed, something above 1/100th, maybe 1/200th, if you still see blurring, raise your shutter speed more.

And finally, you will want a high iso, this is what you will need to raise if you find you cant get the pictures bright enough at your current shutter speed.

All that is for night or indoors, if you are shooting outdoors during a sunny day, you should keep your iso around 400, get a shutter speed that freezes motion and then set your aperture to a number good for exposure.

For example if during a sunny day you find that with iso 400, shutterspeed 1/300th, f4, your pictures freeze the action but are much tooo bright, you will want to try maybe iso 300 and f5.6, or iso 300 f7, etc, play around with those.

The only setting that you will most likely need to nail down once and forget about will be your shutter speed. Thats all for the manual setting, for auto, just do what rhys said.

TheWengler
03-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Then you want a high shutter speed, something above 1/100th, maybe 1/200th, if you still see blurring, raise your shutter speed more.

Unless your lens is the VR version, you'll need a SS faster than this just to prevent camera shake at 300mm. Probably somewhere around 1/450 sec.

Maybe the VR version is the only AF-S one...not sure.