PDA

View Full Version : My annual printer rant

Rhys
03-09-2009, 01:52 PM
It's a darned good job I've started to do my printing in advance. Yesterday the printer printed just fine. Today it won't print anything worth a damn. I don't understand printers - they defy logic. If the heads are cleaned and it printed fine yesterday then it should do so today. I might end up having to pay to get my prints made elsewhere. Oh well, if that's the way it will be then that's the way it will be. The kind of printer they sell for home use seems to have some kind of self-destruct built in. They work fine for about 6 months then fall flat on their faces. I guess they're designed to do that in order to maximise ink sales and printer sales. Of course what the stupid people at the manufacturers don't reckon on is that I buy in prints whenever possible and don't rely upon trashy home printers. Hence, I don't often buy a new printer. These are about 2 years old. Not that old but they are becoming erratic. They're fine for documents but for actual photo printing, forget it. I think next time I get a printer, I'll get a b/w laser printer and use it solely for documents, buying in all my prints.

erichlund
03-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I know people who just buy the bargain basement printer, use it till the ink runs out, then replace it. It's almost always cheaper to replace the printer than replace the ink.

OTOH, you get what you pay for. My Epson Photo R1800 must be closing in on 5 years old, and still going strong. We have an HP all in one on the wireless network, but my problem with HP Printers is the paper path. The pickup rollers don't last forever, and then you get a rash of paper pickup problems until you get fed up and drop kick it into the trash. I had one fixed one time, but the fix was expensive and didn't last very long.

Rhys
03-09-2009, 08:06 PM
The best printer we have is the Canon i560. That's been going for years. That almost got thrown out because it was making a nasty noise and not feeding. When I pulled the hair clip out, it worked just fine.

Mark_48
03-10-2009, 06:05 AM
I've got a couple of Canon's that have performed flawlessly for several years (probably just jinxed myself for stating that). One purchase I made that I think has help their longevity and expense for ink, was an inexpensive B&W laser printer ($90 Brother from Staples) for documents. The toner cartridge in the laser printer has generally been lasting better than a year before it needs replacing at a cost of about $60 which is way cheaper than what I'd be paying for inkjet cartridges for the amount of paper that gets pushed through it. The color inkjet printers now only get used for prints 5x7 or larger when I don't want to wait for a lab turn around.

Rhys
03-11-2009, 07:59 PM
These inkjets are a nice money-spinner for the printer companies. They could just as well hand them out free and charge for the ink alone. Lexmark almost does that!