PDA

View Full Version : olympus c-740 settings question...

qtpiezgurl
01-26-2005, 09:48 PM
I bought the olympus c-740 a while back and never got a chance to play around with it too much. Just recently I've been interested in taking pictures of gymnasts during gymnastics meets. I tried it about a month ago and came out with really crappy results. I don't know too much about photography and camera settings so now I figured I should ask for some help. I know a few basics, like for action related pictures the you need a faster shutter speed, but otherwise i'm lost. Any suggestions on settings for my camera so that I can get some clear pictures? I know how to adjust the settings on my camera, i'm pretty good with playing around with technology related things, but I would prefer to not spend an entire gymn meet playing around with my camera attempting to take good pictures, but instead just have the proper settings before I go there. Oh also, I'm not allowed to use flast at these meets so any suggested settings would have to make do without it. Thanks! :o

Norm in Fujino
01-26-2005, 09:58 PM
I have a c-755 which is pretty similar, but all these comments should be taken as general advice only.
1. Set to the highest ISO possible (400); remember that this will, however, give you grainer shots--unavoidable when shooting indoors w/o flash. You can try shooting at 200 as well just to see whether its possible under the lighting conditions.

2. Set the camera for shutter priority exposure, and use the highest shutter speed possible under the lighting conditions. When you start seeing -1, -2, etc. on the indicator at top right of the screen, it means you're underexposed. You may be able to get away with -1 underexposure and then tweak it afterwards in somethink like Photoshop, but you probably won't get best results.

3. Half-press the shutter button to fix focus before pressing the rest of the way.

4. Remember in any case, these cameras have a certain degree of shutter lag, so you're probably not going to be able to capture perfect instants that you're hoping to.

5. One other thing: particularly if the indoor lighting is fluorescent, set your white balance to one of the fluroescent values and see how results differ.

6. You probably won't get good results without practice, practice, practice.

qtpiezgurl
01-26-2005, 11:59 PM
thanks so much. yeah i don't expect to get great results, i only do this for fun but i just wanted the pictures to turn out a little better than the great big blurs i had last time.

so one more question, what is the shutter exposure function and how do i change it? i changed everything else to what you recommended. thanks! :o

Rex914
01-27-2005, 12:07 AM
If there's a lot of movement and action, it also helps sometimes to try out the burst mode to catch a bunch of shots at once. It may not solve the blurry problem, but it'll give you a better chance at capturing "the" perfect pose.

Geoff Chandler
01-27-2005, 10:48 AM
It will look nicest if you use Manual white - haven't got mine in front of me just now - but start of press the 4 way button and scroll through to the white balance menu - there are actually 2!! So NOT the Blue - Red fine tune that I think is labeled wb - but the one with Auto, Daylight, Cloudy.... find the manual white in there and get a piece of white card, paper or something white - then simply point the camera at it and press the OK button - your now set for correct colour. Yes - use the 400 ASA it's not to bad - set that before hand. I have set my custom button to activate ASA changes you'll be able to find that sometime when your browsing through ( e-mail me if you need me to explain better and I'll go through it exactly). All this won't happen in Auto - I suggest A or P setting depending whether you prefer shutter or apperture - I use apperture as my old SLR worked that way - lower apperture to the lowest and it will give you the fastest available shutter speed for the given light.
Use the pre-focus (Half press shutter before hand), for quick accurate shots.
Hope some of that helps :eek:
Good luck

Geoff