PDA

View Full Version : RAW capability with the Casio EXP-600?

Karl
01-26-2005, 09:24 PM
I just read that there was an unofficial way (or hack) of getting through the Casio's menus and getting RAW recording capability instead of just the TIFF format. Can anyone point me to the right place to find out how to do this? Also, if you've done it to your camera, do you have any comments you would like to share? Thanks.

gary_hendricks
02-10-2005, 10:43 AM
I just read that there was an unofficial way (or hack) of getting through the Casio's menus and getting RAW recording capability instead of just the TIFF format. Can anyone point me to the right place to find out how to do this? Also, if you've done it to your camera, do you have any comments you would like to share? Thanks.

I checked up the Casio site and other internet website - no such hack avaialble. Where did you read it from?

AndersMeyer
03-11-2005, 02:46 PM
This is what I found about it on the web, and yes it works.

"Just fugured out how to access it... Here goes:

1. Power off camera (I'd suggest setting Mode dial on "Review", but it's not really important)

2. While pressing Menu and Disp buttons simultaneously, turn the camera on. It should display black and white info screen.

3. Release all buttons.

4. Press Right on the joystick TWO or more times.

5. Press Menu button.

That's it... I hope I am not the only one who would enjoy this "Easter egg" (perfect timing, by the way)

At first glance, this hidden menu looks very interesting... 12 selectable menu options on the first screen.

A word of warning: changing some of these settings might be dangerous for camera's health... So please proceed carefully..."

AllanC
03-29-2005, 08:41 AM
ok, i've been trying to get the camera to take raw pictures as well and found a web site that takes you through the operation to select the raw file format. damned if i can find the web site again though, luckily i copied the information. the information supplied above isn't the whole process so here you all go....

i haven't had any luck with the processing. have downloaded the DeBayerising filter add on but dont know how to work it. if anyone has any luck processing the raw files then let me know how you get on..

For the Exilim P600
Power off camera
While pressing MENU and DISP buttons simultaneously, turn the camera on. It should display black and white info screen.
Release all buttons.
Press Right (>)on the joystick TWO or more times.
Press MENU button.
On the menu that appears you'll see an IMAGE FLAG option - arrow down and choose that
There are 2 options in the IMAGE FLAG menu:
BAYER MODE (on, off) - this records raw files
C. M. READ (on, off) - ??
Choose the first

Notes:

When BAYER MODE is on, camera captures a full-size raw image in addition to whatever image format (TIF, JPG) you have set.
The camera stores raw images in the same folder as JPEGs and gives unique file names which are derived from corresponding JPEG files, like this: CIMG0075.JPG --> 0075CIMG.RAW.
RAW mode has to be enabled through service menu each time you power on the camera.

For the Exilim P600:
with your raw file called CIMG0075.RAW (it can be called anything) at the command prompt type
dcraw CIMG0075.RAW
With the DeBayerize filter for Adobe Paintshop Pro:
Download a DeBayerizing filter for Paintshop, created by Peter Cockerell. I've decided to host this as so many people asked for it, but as I'm not a Paintshop user, I can't help you with it.
The disadvantage using this on QV-4000 raw files is that it's an 8-bit filter so you have to change the file from 12-bit to 8-bit, losing quite a bit of information in the process.
Conversely it works fine for QV-2000UX/QV-3000EX/QV-3500EX raw files as they are already 8-bit.

if i can find the site again i'll post a link to it...

Cheers all, Allan.