PDA

View Full Version : Domain name question.

Nickcanada
02-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Okay, I mapped my domain name to my exposure manager site but how do you set it up so that when people type "thedomainname.com" it forwards it to www.thedomainname.com??? I tried looking for info on it but I have a feeling I'll get what I need quicker by posting it here! I'm using godaddy.com if that makes a difference.

Thanks guys!

jwhite
02-26-2009, 06:38 PM
I don't remember doing anything special for mine, though I set it up about a year ago. I also go through godaddy.com. I just remember some configuration to point it to smugmug and some configuration of the email domain for my google account.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :(

Jason

chrisl
02-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Hey Nick, you'll like EM they customer service rocks.
As to your question I think you talking about in the URL address bar. I don't think that will work until the search engines web crawlers pick up your site.
For instance it doesn't work for my site yet either but it finds my model mayhem link.

BTW she's Miss August in the Sunshine Girl Calendar.

jwhite
02-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Make sure you have a CNAME entry for www

I just checked my account settings and I have this entry:

CNAME www www.smugmug.com

D Thompson
02-26-2009, 07:33 PM
In the Domain Manager you can set it to forward to your exposure manager site. That should work. I have a couple of domain names forwarded to my main site.

Csae
02-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Im not sure i get the question...

Personally i buy my domain name from godaddy, which is the www. name . com (.ca for me)

And i buy my hosting from another place, i then setup my dns so that my webhosting uses the domain name i bought with godaddy.

Which reminds me, i need to get ready for my renewals.

Nickcanada
02-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks guys. I think I might just call up godaddy or something....

Just for clarification for those of you who aren't sure what I'm talking about here is what I've done...

I set up an exposure manager site (http://www.exposuremanager.com/) but the gallery URL is set to USERNAME.exposuremanager.com. They have the ability to "map" or "alias" a domain name to that gallery so that I can give people my chosen website address instead of using the exposure manager address. In my case, my site was originally brownrigg.exposuremanager.com that address will still work but I also aliased or mapped www.nbimage.com to the site so that I can give out a more simple URL address that doesn't look like I'm working off of a template as much.

What I want to do is set it up so that people who type "nbimage.com" get sent to "www.nbimage.com" right now if you type nbimage.com it sends you to an error page. I hope that is a little more clear?

Rhys
02-27-2009, 08:34 AM
I use a different domain name provider and simply use framed web forwarding.

24Peter
02-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks guys. I think I might just call up godaddy or something....

Just for clarification for those of you who aren't sure what I'm talking about here is what I've done...

I set up an exposure manager site (http://www.exposuremanager.com/) but the gallery URL is set to USERNAME.exposuremanager.com. They have the ability to "map" or "alias" a domain name to that gallery so that I can give people my chosen website address instead of using the exposure manager address. In my case, my site was originally brownrigg.exposuremanager.com that address will still work but I also aliased or mapped www.nbimage.com to the site so that I can give out a more simple URL address that doesn't look like I'm working off of a template as much.

What I want to do is set it up so that people who type "nbimage.com" get sent to "www.nbimage.com" right now if you type nbimage.com it sends you to an error page. I hope that is a little more clear?

Hmmm... I see what you mean. Can you map multiple addresses to the exposuremanager account? If so, do both.

Nickcanada
02-27-2009, 08:42 AM
I use a different domain name provider and simply use framed web forwarding.

Yeah, there is a forwarding option but it's really unclear what I need to do. I just tried something so I'll give it a little bit to see if it worked.

The internet sucks.

Nickcanada
02-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Hmmm... I see what you mean. Can you map multiple addresses to the exposuremanager account? If so, do both.

no you can only map one address but you can "forward" addresses to an address.:rolleyes:

The difference between forwarding and mapping is that when you map it hides the actual URL and uses your chosen one. When you forward an address it will send you to the right place but when you get there it shows the real URL not the one you entered. So if you type www.nbimage.com it will send you to brownrigg.exposuremanager.com but you will still see www.nbimage.com in the address bar at the top of the screen. If I just forwarded the address you would type www.nbimage.com and it would send you to brownrigg.exposuremanager.com and that is what you would see in the URL bar. Make sense? :o

cdifoto
02-27-2009, 08:55 AM
I didn't do anything for mine to work with and without www. It doesn't forward though, it just loads the site.

You can try mine if you want to see if that's what you're trying to do. Type cdifoto.net into your browser and then start clicking around.

Nickcanada
02-27-2009, 09:05 AM
I didn't do anything for mine to work with and without www. It doesn't forward though, it just loads the site.

You can try mine if you want to see if that's what you're trying to do. Type cdifoto.net into your browser and then start clicking around.

Hmmm, I wonder why mine doesn't do that! stupid internet, I wonder if I smack my modem it'll start working properly....

cdifoto
02-27-2009, 09:14 AM
I dunno. I tried yours too and it points me to a placeholder page. I have no idea why that is though. I'd first be calling GoDaddy and find out what they say. If they say it's on your host's end of things, I'd then give EM a ring (I'm assuming they're your host) and tell them what GoDaddy said.

Nickcanada
02-27-2009, 09:22 AM
I dunno. I tried yours too and it points me to a placeholder page. I have no idea why that is though. I'd first be calling GoDaddy and find out what they say. If they say it's on your host's end of things, I'd then give EM a ring (I'm assuming they're your host) and tell them what GoDaddy said.

Yeah, that's what I'm gonna end up doing. I just wanted to know if there was a "hey stupid, do this" solution before I started calling up people to put me on hold...

cdifoto
02-27-2009, 09:27 AM
I can't think of one since there's nothing I did to make mine work both ways. As far as I know, if www.domain.com works then domain.com should work too.

D Thompson
02-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Check what the masking option does in the forwarding section. Looks like what you're after. Gotta give it a few minutes to update tho.

Rhys
02-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Check what the masking option does in the forwarding section. Looks like what you're after. Gotta give it a few minutes to update tho.

Good point. Sometimes my domain changes take a day or so to propagate.

D Thompson
02-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Good point. Sometimes my domain changes take a day or so to propagate.
Yep, some things take 5-10 minutes and I've had a couple take a day or so. I tried the masking on one of my forwarded domains and it took about 10 minutes to take affect. I think the masking is what Nick needs to set.

Nickcanada
02-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Yep, some things take 5-10 minutes and I've had a couple take a day or so. I tried the masking on one of my forwarded domains and it took about 10 minutes to take affect. I think the masking is what Nick needs to set.

I did set the masking and the forwarding. It's tough to know if I did it properly though. I guess I'll just wait until Monday and make a few calls if it's not working by then.

Thanks for the ideas guys. :)

D Thompson
02-27-2009, 11:56 AM
All I did was turn the masking on and then in the address typed {http://www.blahblah.com}. The forwarded name went to my main site, but the URL showed the forwarded name, not the main site name. You can click on the forwarding and it will tell you it's either updating or if it lets you back in then it has taken affect.

adam75south
02-27-2009, 12:23 PM
i can't speak much for EM, but this is how mine is set up with smugmug...***after putting in my domain in my smugmug control panel first

once you log in, go to domain manager. click the domain you want to change stuff on. once it opens with all the domain info, you'll see "total dns control and mx records"
you need to change the A record and probably add a cname record.

the A record is what sends the domain to the ip address. you'll have to get that from EM. the one you see in my A name record is a generic smugmug IP, once my domain gets to it smugmug takes care of the rest.

the cname i have on here(i think) is what makes it go there even if the customer doesn't type www in front of the domain name. that or it automatically puts www in there if they don't.

i hope this helps. this is how i set mine up about a year ago with smugmug and it works great.

just make sure you write everything down the way it is before you change it so that you can go back if it doesn't work.

Nickcanada
02-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks Adam, I haven't changed anything on the "A Record" I'm not sure what I would write in the "A Record" fields?? I just added nbimage.com to the CNAME though. I was able to set up www.nbimage.com to alias properly to my EM site so right now I'm just trying to get nbimage.com to get directed to the site as well.

adam75south
02-27-2009, 01:22 PM
the cname you see that i added. the one that says www and @ for the fields, that's what fixes that.

Csae
02-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Well, it seems to have worked nick.

Keep in mind sometimes it takes a while for the DNS server to refresh the data.

nsjuice
03-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Unfortunately, some domain hosts don't do the www. Forwarding and users get stuk with a dead page. . I was in the same issue years ago.
Lots of domain name hosts will advertise this beforehand if they support it or not.

Best bet is to call them and confirm.

adam75south
03-03-2009, 09:25 AM
have you already tried this nick?
http://help.exposuremanager.com/kb/entry/89/

Go-Daddy - typical setup:

As reported to us by our users who use "Go_Daddy" as their domain manager, the correct way to enter the CNAME alias information in their administrative area is as follows:

* CNAME alias = your domain name
* Points-to-name = accounts.exposuremanager.com

Nickcanada
03-03-2009, 06:19 PM
I did give that a try, no go. I've been busy at work and not feeling the greatest lately so I haven't had the motivation/energy to figure it out. I'll call sometime this week or next. I appreciate the help guys! :)