PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for photography training resources

Argelius
02-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I consider myself an advanced amateur photographer (whatever that means) who has recently purchased my first DSLR (and 3 lenses). I feel I have a really good "eye" but know I need to improve the technical aspects of both picture taking (i.e. moving beyond automatic settings) and post-production tweaking (i.e. Photoshop).

Can anyone offer suggestions for:

[1] Photography classes available in Chicago (think I'd fare better with something structured that I have to show up for rather than periodically logging into a web site...)

[2] Should I give up on [1], any suggestions for online "training"?

[3] A good onine place where I can periodically post photographs for critique and suggestions for improvement (here I am more interested in technical aspects, rather than composition)

[4] A good, comprehensive Photoshop (Elements) tutorial -- either online (free or purchased) or a DVD/CD program?

Thanks!

TheWengler
02-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Well, if you aren't off the auto settings then I wouldn't consider you an advanced amateur. Are you just looking to improve your knowledge of exposure and post processing? Anything else? What types of things do you shoot?

1) I don't know about classes but Understanding Exposure is a very popular book. I've read through it and it's pretty easy to understand.
2) I got nothing for this one...:(
3) There are lots of comment groups on Flickr. Join one that suits what you want.
4) There are several PSE tutorial books as well as a group on Flickr with PSE users you can ask questions.

raven15
02-25-2009, 02:03 AM
I took a photography class at a major university last fall, and I can honestly say you will learn more in 45 hours of studying this forum than you will in 45 hours of sitting in a class. Plus, the forum is free :). The only things missing around here are exposure to past masters and being forced to develop a consistent portfolio for public critique. And digital printing... and film...