PDA

View Full Version : Eos Utility Camera not Recognized - 50D

russmd
02-07-2009, 04:43 PM
I have a very strange problem with my new 50D and Windows XP.

After installing all the included software, I attached the camera via USB. The usual XP dialog came up asking which program I want to use. I choose "EOS Utility." I then get an error dialog box saying "The camera is not recognized." Upon closing the dialog, the EOS Utility screen flashes on and off for a microsecond. If I then open EOS Utility from its icon, it works perfectly!

Notes and troubleshooting steps:
- I've previously had a Rebel XT installed. When I hook it up, everything works fine, including EOS Utility from the dialog.
- I have uninstalled and reinstalled ALL the software and UPDATED all the components. Reboots and registry cleans. No difference.
- The 50D is recognized immediately by Windows. It appears in My Computer and Device Manager with no errors or problems. I have confirmed this BEFORE choosing the "EOS Utility" in the Windows dialog box.
- I have unplugged all my peripherals (printer, scanner, etc) with no change.
- WIA is started automatically without issues.

As I said, the EOS Utility works fine from its icon. I know this is not a major issue, it's just irritating because I like to set my software to download immediately as soon as connected and this problem does not allow it.

Thanks,
Russ

Speed2
02-07-2009, 05:40 PM
The new Eos Utility update from dec. won't format your card either...they forgot to re add that little feature. They do know about it cause i e-mailed them.

russmd
02-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Thank. Have you or anyone else experienced the issue that I am having? I've been in an e-mail conversation with Canon tech support about it but am getting the usual "aimed at novices" double-talk and runaround.

Speed2
02-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Not sure i can help..but no 1 else has stepped up to the plate here. I'm assuming the Camera is off when you plug into the USB? From when you turn your Camera on and when the screen comes up to chose what proggy you use...how long would you say that takes? Btw just to let you know....my XP dialog screen rarely comes up, does work though when it does.

D Thompson
02-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Sorry, I don't use the EOS utility and never hooked my camera up so I can't help there. Only advice I can give you is buy a card reader.

cdifoto
02-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Card readers eliminate a lot of hassles.

24Peter
02-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Card readers eliminate a lot of hassles.

True - but if you need to shoot tethered, I think it's the only free option in town. A lot of the product stuff I'm shooting lately requires shooting directly down on the item from high above and so live view tethered to my laptop is my only option to see what I'm doing. The EOS Utility allows me to control the camera remotely and still see the live view image.

Russ - my experience is the EOS Utility is pretty clunky at times, so it doesn't surprise you have this issue. Be happy you can launch it from the icon! ;)

cdifoto
02-08-2009, 09:30 AM
That's true. I've only ever shot tethered once though and gave up halfway through because it kept coming unplugged.

russmd
02-08-2009, 12:13 PM
The camera is off. I plug into USB and power on. I hear the windows connected sound and within a few seconds, get the dialog screen asking me to choose a program. I hit EOS Utility. After about 3 seconds, I get the "camera is not recognized" error. I hit OK and I see a microsecond flash of the EOS Utility screen, then gone. It does work from the icon. Of not, when I hook up my Rebel XT, it works fine!

I know I should use a card reader, I just like things to work!

By the way, are all card readers created equal in terms of transfer speed?

Russ

droopy1592
02-08-2009, 12:14 PM
I only use EOS utility to put my name in the camera and shoot tethered, but I rarely do that.

cdifoto
02-08-2009, 12:27 PM
By the way, are all card readers created equal in terms of transfer speed?

Russ
Unfortunately, no.

The only way to tell though is reviews & recommendations. Mine's pretty fast but it's been discontinued so that doesn't help you one lick.

Z4Roadsterman
03-15-2010, 09:23 AM
This is very unlikely to be an issue with the canon software!
It is highly likely your USB contoller(s) have got their knickers in a twist and are not passing the correct datat to the EOS utility application. The USB controller(s) need to be reset.
Go to the Windows "Device Manager". Find the USB controllers list - expand the list. "Right Click" each entry in turn and select "Uninstall" (Don't panic!! They will all be restored and reset when you reboot afterwards. - that should cure the issue!

David Metsky
03-15-2010, 02:16 PM
This thread is over a year old, I'm guessing that he solved the problem or moved on. :)

Z4Roadsterman
03-17-2010, 01:43 AM
This is very unlikely to be an issue with the canon software!

It is highly likely your USB contoller(s) have got their knickers in a twist and are not passing the correct data for windows to open the EOS utility application. The USB controller(s) need to be reset.

Go to the Windows "Device Manager". Find the USB controllers list - expand the list. "Right Click" each entry in turn and select "Uninstall" Don't panic!! They will all be restored and reset when you reboot afterwards. - that should cure the issue!

Honest Gaza
03-17-2010, 04:53 AM
This thread is over a year old, I'm guessing that he solved the problem or moved on. :)

...and I'm guessing that the Roadsterman is not paying close attention :confused:

NGMK
09-04-2010, 06:09 AM
The problem seems to lie with the USB cable shipped with the Canon 50D

Get another cable and try it.

I was getting the same error.

I had a USB cable that came with my Canon Rebel Xti; when I used that cable to connect the Canon 50D to the computer (Windows XP) all worked as it should.

Hope it works for you!