View Full Version : I have narrowed my search to an Olympus C5050 or 5060

08-09-2004, 08:30 AM
I really want something that I can grow into. I want the auto mode for my quick snapshots, but I want something that I can fool around with as I become more adept. The biggest benefit of this camera seems to be that it takes pictures very close to 35mm quality. Are there any other cameras in this class that can do such? Any competitors I should know about? I am only a bit hesitant because they do seem a bit complicated. Does anyone want to chime in his/her opinions. I was looking at the more compact cameras but I have realized that the more compact and the more MPs together equal more noise. So I am hoping that I am avoiding all of this buy going to a bigger camera. If anyone can recommend anything else, I will listen. thanks.

Ben Miller
08-09-2004, 12:20 PM
I bought a 5060 a few months ago and I've been very happy with it. When I was choosing which camera to get I also looked very hard at the Canon G5, which is also supposed to be great. Reading the respective reviews on this site will give you an idea of the differences between the two. I went with the Olympus not necessarily because it's a significantly better camera, but because it had more of the features that I was looking for, and I got a good deal (B&H had a great price).

The 5050 and 5060 have many similarities, of course. The main difference is the lens: The 5050's lens is faster (gathers more light) and the 5060's lens has a greater zoom range. The 5060 is also supposed to be slightly less noisy than the 5050, although I can't personally vouch for this. If you want a good comparison of the two models, go here: http://www.wrotniak.com/photo/c5050/index.html

So yes, either the 5050 or 5060 will give you plenty of room to grow. The photo quality is excellent and the feature set is broad. My one piece of advice before buying would be to go to a camera store (an electronics superstore might not carry the 5060, and certainly won't carry the 5050, which has been discontinued) and try out as many cameras as possible. See which ones seem to work well for you, then come here and look at Jeff's sample pictures to compare image quality.