PDA

View Full Version : Oooops! I dropped it!! :(

BrazAd
01-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Gang,

I set my C-700 on the hood of a pickup truck while visiting a jobsite the other day (I'm an architect), and it slid off and nailed the asphalt, then rolled a couple of times after that. Ouch!

The camera has power, and will show pics I've already taken on the LCD screen. Everything is cool there.

BUT.... the lens doesn't extend out when you go to camera mode, and after 8 seconds or so the red light flashes real fast a few times, and the camera shuts down.

Advice time: Should I buy a new camera, and forget it? Send this one to be looked at? If so, where is the best place for service? (It's out of warranty, I'm pretty sure)

Thanks in advance,

Gary Collier
Atlanta

Rex914
01-25-2005, 09:05 PM
See how much you can get it repaired for. The whole deal with the lens not moving and the camera shutting down seems typical after a drop. Unfortunately, cameras are even more fragile than laptops when it comes to dropping.

If you're talking about this C-700, http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/c700-review/index.html, then you might want to look into getting a new camera instead since it'll undoubtedly be the cheaper option. If you want something very similar to the C-700, the C-765/770 series would be a good choice.

Thon
01-26-2005, 01:49 AM
I'd say, get a new camera.

If you still require an ultrazoom, the C770/765UZ are worth look at. The camera controls will be familiar to you. However, the Smartmedias have basically been replaced by xDs by now, but you might be able to sell them on ebay though.

Other notable ultrazooms are Panasonic FZ20/15/10/3, Konica Minolta Z1/2/3/5 and Canon S1 IS. These have image stabilization but are much larger than the 770/765. If size doesn't matter, the FZ20 will be the best replacement with its 12X f2.8 Leica lens with IS.

However since you are an architect, you might want to have a look at wide-zoom cameras. These capture more view without having to move too far back. Olympus makes the excellent C5060WZ (5MP) and the new C7070WZ (7MP).

I'm sure other will be able to advise on other cameras that might fit you. And an indication of your budget will help too.

BrazAd
01-26-2005, 07:56 AM
Rex, yes, that is the camera that I've got. (The review that you referenced.)

Thon, thanks for the recommendations. I wanna spend something in the $500-$600 range, max. A friend just got the Panasonic that you mentioned, and it has great quality - but man, it's a hoss of a camera, sizewise! :eek:

Gary Collier
Atlanta

Geoff Chandler
01-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Ok - I'm really sorry about the accident - I did a similar thing years ago with an OM2n SLR - cost me dearly to get a 2nd hand replacement.!! It's a horrible thing to happen.
But anyway - I reckon one of the Olympuses mentioned would be an ideal direct replacement - if you don't fancy the Panasonic, worthy as it is, then go with the more similar model. Consider first if you need the long zoom or would you prefer a wider angle. (Mentioned above). Don't get the old one repaired - sad as it is - it'll never be quite the same and it could end up costing a lot. You may be able to spot an older model Oly going a bit cheaper such as a C-750 or C-740 ~ even more like your C-700 still ! I don't know, as I live over the water from you.
So go with your feelings on this one - except don't get it repaired that's all I'd say.
Good luck - let us all know how you get along...

Geoff

Thon
01-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Rex, yes, that is the camera that I've got. (The review that you referenced.)

Thon, thanks for the recommendations. I wanna spend something in the $500-$600 range, max. A friend just got the Panasonic that you mentioned, and it has great quality - but man, it's a hoss of a camera, sizewise! :eek:

Gary Collier
Atlanta

On the hoss of the camera issue, I totally agree with you.

I don't want to lug around a ton of glass around all day, therefore the C770UZ (you can get this one for about $450). You'll need extra batteries and at least 256MB xD card. Total should be less than $600.

I'd wait a bit more for PMA for any new releases before buying a camera at this time, unless you really need it urgently.