PDA

View Full Version : 30D Flash problems - maybe

jpribut
01-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Okay - this is only my second post - so please still bear with me. I have the 30d and recently bought the new 18-200 Canon lens. I am on a work trip and was out playing with the lens and noticed I can not deploy the onboard flash with the lens. I do not have my other lens (18-55) to check going back to that one, but what ever I do it does not want to invoke it.

I'm not sure if I would have my external flash - if that would work. Any ideas or experience with this? I know I will have to wait till I get home to try my other lens and flash - but until then....................

Thanks for your help, assistance and ideas in advance!

Mark_48
01-28-2009, 05:08 PM
How are you attempting to "deploy" the flash?
Are you using the button on the left side of the camera near the flash or are you relying on it to pop up automatically?
Where have you got the mode dial set on top of the camera?

RebelRat
01-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Probably a stuck micro switch located in the hotshoe rails. I think it's on the left side of the hotshoe.

The switch is to prevent the onboard flash from trying to pop up with a external flash attached!

jpribut
01-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks for both your replies!

I have tried to deploy it in several modes, both automatically and manually by depressing the flash button! I have tried it in lower light situations, falsh fill type situatiopns as well as in a dark room!

Thanks for the microswitch tip - I checked that and it looks okay. I see the rail that depresses the switch move and the switch sort of looks ok - but to be honest I think I need to use a magnifying glass to really check it out (or take a picture of it like yours- good one as well) ! That will have to wait till I get home unless I can locate one where I am at!

Thanks again!!

smithkt
01-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Check the flash control setting to make sure you have the flash firing enabled? What mode are you using the camera in?

Mark_48
01-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks for both your replies!

I have tried to deploy it in several modes, both automatically and manually by depressing the flash button! I have tried it in lower light situations, falsh fill type situatiopns as well as in a dark room!

Your assignment is to read page 102 in your 30D manual and see if that solves your flash problem. Your manual is your friend, keep it by your side.

I tried a few things with my own 30D and by golly the flash doesn't deploy in several modes either automatically or manually by depressing the flash button. But then again I never use those modes, so it doesn't really matter.

If all else fails and you're really still stumped, come on back and we'll try again.

jpribut
02-16-2009, 04:13 PM
My Thanks to you all! Especially RebelRat!! When I got home a couple of days ago - took out (this sucks) my magnifying glass and under good light - inspected the microswitch. It looked like it wasn't up all the way - so took out my trusty pocket knife and genly scraped across it and got some paper or something that seemed to be holding it down. It all works ok now!!! Thanks to all!! This site is becoming very informative and helpful - now to get my perfect eyesight back too!