PDA

View Full Version : Shooting live artists on stage

Cyberwlf
01-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Hey people

Was wondering if anyone had tips which didn't involve buying a new (faster) lens to solve this issue ;)

Situation being where 2 or more people are on stage, not staying in fixed positions and in different lighting what is the best way to get sharp well exposed photos?

If a character was at a single focal length in a single lighting condition this would be easy to deal with (ie set relevant shutter speed + ensure ISO/EV/Metering is set appropriately), but in such an environment jumping between metering settings / shutter speeds can mean missing a shot, and although auto modes can help in these situations if the lens isnt fast enough the camera is more likely to blur the images as a result. Also upping the ISO to compensate can also mean noisier images (for events already in low light settings)

Any advice welcomed! :)

tim11
01-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Can you use the flash? You have enough gear to take what you want to do.
I'd use aperture mode and put the camera to Auto-ISO, using whatever max ISO acceptable to you. Leave WB to Auto. Not all artists will be in good focus all the time but unless there is enough light to use smaller aperture for large DOF there is no way around that.
Buying fast lens is out? How about buying a couple of SB800 or SB900 speedlights and put some on remote? :D Well... that's one of the solutions for better live concert shots. :D

Cyberwlf
01-28-2009, 04:17 PM
It's not that i couldn't buy a faster lens, it's just that i am looking to avoid having spend more cash and rather learn how to use what i have better :)

Thanks for the tip though!

Nickcanada
01-29-2009, 06:07 AM
A few tips. Don't worry about ISO, worry about exposure. You can usually predict the lighting and the performers so be ready. Don't be afraid to spray'n'pray in high action situations. Use manual as much as possible.

Shoot RAW. It makes a huge difference when shooting concerts.

Razr
01-29-2009, 12:56 PM
It's not that i couldn't buy a faster lens, it's just that i am looking to avoid having spend more cash and rather learn how to use what i have better :)

Thanks for the tip though!

In dark venues, your (& my) FZ20 can perform admirably when properly prefocussed.
In aperture priority @ f/2.8, watch the musician of choice, learn their movements and shoot in anticipation of such movement.
Say they play in "headbanger" style: time their movements (head and feet) to coincide with your position; prefocus-wait shoot.
*My FZ20 sometimes "blooms" in deep red spotlit light.

Shooting an FZ20 at ISO 400 more often than not produces more than accetable images, in particular for its 5 Megapixel sensor, "noise" be damned.
*The FZ20's LEICA lens and ancient 2004 architecture nonetheless still produces flawless A4 images.

Nickcanada
01-29-2009, 02:25 PM
2.8 ISO 400 isn't low light! hahahaha.

tim11
01-29-2009, 04:16 PM
I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 and love it. And the taste of constant F/2.8 makes me select constant aperture through the zoom range for my first 2 DSLR lenses. However its photo on ISO 400 isn't something to boast about.
Noise be damned? LOL I wish a photographer can say that to his clients.

Yeah but.... what's a FZ20 has to do with OP's question?