PDA

View Full Version : Flash Recommendation

BikerJohn
01-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Well, I think I want to get an external flash to use with my D90. I'll be using it for trying to "capture" the motion of my 2 year old and 6 year old and I'm hoping being able to throw the light up and around will help with the shadows. I'll also I was looking at a new SB-600, but on another post someone mentioned they just bought a used SB-24. I looked up the specs on Thom Hogan's site and it doesn't look too bad. But I don't know if it'll work with the D90. I'm not even sure where to look to see if it will (even though I haven't tried yet, maybe the manual would be a good place to start? :) (just checked, looks like manual mode only)

But, I'm wondering if there are flashes out there that I shouldn't get or should get? Are there any favorites? Also my local camera shop carries a lot of used gear, so I'll be trying them besides the ebay / Craigslist route. Just curious if there are any suggestions...

Also, in the manual it states that it has Auto aperture available with teh SB-900, SB-800, and CPU lens. So what the heck does that mean?

Dread Pirate Roberts
01-25-2009, 06:23 PM
IMHO you wont regret an SB600 whatever the price. An external flash will make such a diffeence to your shots you won't look back.

The SB600's menu is a bit of a pig to use. You can get used to it but I won't suggest anything less user friendly than the SB600 (ie an older flash) since it's a core bit of kit you'll use heaps.

Make the effort on the first day to get it off camera - don't take months like I did.

Rooz
01-25-2009, 11:36 PM
if you can wait till march there is the possibility of 2 new flashes out by then, sb700/sb500 to replace the 600/400. this should drop the price of the sb600 a little for you. i'm hoping the sb600 replacement is the size of an sb800 with the interface of the sb900. if that is the case, its the perfect flash...otherwise, i'm a sucker for the sb800, built like a tank and super reliable. mine has copped a real beating and it works perfect.

tim11
01-26-2009, 03:42 PM
For D80 the SB-24 flash only works in non-TTL auto and manual modes. If they are set to TTL, the camera shutter-release button will lock and no photographs can be taken. I guess it's the same for the D90. You can clarify that in your user manual somewhere in Optical Accessories.
In other words, you have to set a lot of things manually if you are to use a used SB24. I wouldn't recommend it if you are new to photography.

N.C.F.
01-26-2009, 04:02 PM
SB600 all the way. Your d90 will drive it off camera for you. The only reason i'd see a move to the sb800 is if you're planning to really expand your amount of flashes and you want one in the hotshoe driving the rest. At that point, you might as well by the commander unit itself.

However. If you can wait a few months, the sb700 will probably be a nice upgrade to the aging sb600. Tho I wouldn't recommend it cause you can be taking amazing images NOW, instead of later only at the sacrifice of maybe a little power, and tweaked menu navigation.

Visual Reality
01-26-2009, 07:28 PM
SB600 all the way. Your d90 will drive it off camera for you. The only reason i'd see a move to the sb800 is if you're planning to really expand your amount of flashes and you want one in the hotshoe driving the rest. At that point, you might as well by the commander unit itself.
Not necessary at all as talked about in my recent post. Plus the SU-800 doesn't flash, so having an SB-800 on cam is a big advantage.