PDA

View Full Version : RAW format on D70 w/ Photoshop7.0

radek_42
01-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Hi,

I just got d70 and I am playing with it in-and-out ... Does anyone have any experience with raw files and photoshop7. I tryied "Open As" and it asks about image size. When I put 3008x2000 it complains that image is too large for the file size (5270218 bytes). I am also not sure about the header size.

Added: I tried installing plug-ins for Photoshop CS but that does not work :-(

Any suggestions?
Thanks, R.

D70FAN
01-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi,

I just got d70 and I am playing with it in-and-out ... Does anyone have any experience with raw files and photoshop7. I tryied "Open As" and it asks about image size. When I put 3008x2000 it complains that image is too large for the file size (5270218 bytes). I am also not sure about the header size.

Added: I tried installing plug-ins for Photoshop CS but that does not work :-(

Any suggestions?
Thanks, R.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a plug-in for PS7, so you can either upgrade to CS or use the Nikon software. Elements 3.0 will also work with NEF, so once you have it processed and stored in TIFF you can use PS7 to do the rest.

jaykinghorn
01-27-2005, 12:13 PM
You are trying to open your NEF file as a Photoshop Raw in PS7. They are two very different things. A Photoshop raw file is the choice to use if you have an image file with no extension or any other attributes. Not the case here. George is correct in stating that PS7 can't open NEF files from the D-70. You'll need PS 8, which it sounds like you have. You shouldn't need to install any additional plugins. If you've installed Nikon Capture or Nikon edit, those plugins may attempt to open your NEF files instead of Adobe Camera Raw. Is this the problem you are seeing?

Best regards,
Jay Kinghorn
RGB Imaging

D70FAN
01-28-2005, 03:04 PM
You are trying to open your NEF file as a Photoshop Raw in PS7. They are two very different things. A Photoshop raw file is the choice to use if you have an image file with no extension or any other attributes. Not the case here. George is correct in stating that PS7 can't open NEF files from the D-70. You'll need PS 8, which it sounds like you have. You shouldn't need to install any additional plugins. If you've installed Nikon Capture or Nikon edit, those plugins may attempt to open your NEF files instead of Adobe Camera Raw. Is this the problem you are seeing?

Best regards,
Jay Kinghorn
RGB Imaging

Jay, I think he is trying to use Adobe CR 2.2 as a plug-in with Photshop 7.

jaykinghorn
01-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Ahh,

ACR 2.2 with Photoshop 7 won't work. (There have been updates to 2.4 recently). You either need to purchase an upgrade to Photoshop CS or use Nikon Capture for editing raw files from the D70.

Jay

robrob8
01-28-2005, 11:11 PM
You can do some basic editing with the new Picasa2 program available for free from Google.
Not a lot of programs handle the NEF format, and none for free that I've found so far. If you like the NEf, you may want to be sure that you're shooting RAW + jpeg in the future.
http://www.picasa.com/index.php

gary_hendricks
02-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Unfortunately I don't think there is a plug-in for PS7, so you can either upgrade to CS or use the Nikon software. Elements 3.0 will also work with NEF, so once you have it processed and stored in TIFF you can use PS7 to do the rest.

Yes, confirm that there is no plug-in for PS7.

shevbo
03-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Download this

http://esd.element5.com/product.html?productid=300013536&languageid=1&cart=1Ącies=EUR,all&noquickbuy=1

its a full version of a raw editor which works with NEF files (i use it for my D70) You only get full functions once you register...which is no problem.

I also have PS 7.0 but don't work on my NEF files there, because I simply cannot.

Kurcules
03-07-2006, 09:21 PM
If you open the PictureProject folder and then open the File Formats folder, there are two plug-ins for Photoshop a 'Nikon NEF LE' plug-in and a 'Nikon YCC TIFF' plug-in.
I dragged the 'Nikon NEF LE' plug-in into both the import/export and file formats folders of the Plug-Ins folder for Photoshop (just to be safe)

I haven't tried the NEF one out too much, but I just gave it a shot and it seemed to work alright. I imported it from the memory card using Picture Project Transfer (I'm a Mac user and iPhoto converts NEFs to JPEGs) then opened it in PS 7

There was a quick dialogue box that I am taking a screenshot of as I type this. (http://www.kurcules.com/images/screenshot.png) (cropped for no real reason...) It has various options for White Balance/Exposure Compensation. I haven't done any editing of images from NEF past that, but I know you can at least get them into PS 7

:)

digitalfan
03-10-2006, 08:53 PM
I also have had success using the Nikon Picture Project Transfer software to download the NEF files to PC. The Nikon Capture Editor appears to be one of the better software for manipulating the NEF file unless you are going to do a lot more than it can handle. I have heard reports that the basic quality of the image is better using the Nikon Capture Editor compared to Photoshop.

Some report good results by first using Nikon Capture Editor to convert NEF to JPEG (if that is your preferred medium) before working it using the Photoshop if additional image manipulation is needed beyond that is feasible using the Nikon Capture Editor.

Kurcules
03-10-2006, 09:23 PM
It doesn't make sense to convert from NEF to JPEG, why wouldn't you just alter the NEF in Capture, then open it in Photoshop?
Once into the program, Photoshop handles them the same...converting it to JPEG seems unnecessary.

Glenn Kennedy
03-11-2006, 02:59 AM
I now use Nikon capture to twiddle with NEF files. The nice nikon people charge an arm-and-a-leg for this programme. However, Nikon editor which came with my D70 will open NEFF files and will allow you to save them at TIFF which you can easily open in PS without the need for plugins or any other additional expenditure.

I must say, though, that I do like Niokn Capture, even at inflated UK prices

D70FAN
03-11-2006, 06:40 AM
I now use Nikon capture to twiddle with NEF files. The nice nikon people charge an arm-and-a-leg for this programme. However, Nikon editor which came with my D70 will open NEFF files and will allow you to save them at TIFF which you can easily open in PS without the need for plugins or any other additional expenditure.

I must say, though, that I do like Niokn Capture, even at inflated UK prices

Maybe in the UK the NC4 softare is more, but for $99 it's the best solution for the price. I rarely need photoshop anymore, and it saved me from upgrading to CS/CS2 ($170). I'm looking forward to Capture NX in April.

Glenn Kennedy
03-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Over here its about 95 pounds sterling. Nearly twice the price !

Someone's making a killing....

erichlund
03-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Over here its about 95 pounds sterling. Nearly twice the price !

Someone's making a killing....
Yes, that's a lot. How much duty and shipping would you pay if you bought it from a shop in Germany or even in the U.S? Seems like with that much overcharge, it would possibly be worth it. Sadly, not that it does you any good.