View Full Version : Digital Rebel Software

08-09-2004, 07:54 AM
Can anybody tell me if it possible to get software to use a computer running Windows 95 to download from my Digital Rebel.

08-09-2004, 09:35 AM
The method of connecting your camera to your computer is to use the Universal Serial Bus (USB) and you will have been supplied a cable to connect it to your PC. Your problem is that USB was only supported in the later versions of Windows 95, so you'd need to find out which version it is you're using. It wasn't until Windows 98 first edition that USB was fully supported.

I take it you're using Win95 and you can't connect your camera to your PC because there are no ports or connectors to do it with. Would that be right?

This web site (http://www.usbman.com/Win95%20USB%20Guide.htm) may be of use to you. It will tell you how to check your OS to see if it's capable of USB support and if it is, how you can go about installing it. It looks as though they'll supply you with the kit to do it all as well.

One other thing though: given the camera you've bought, I'd be pretty sure you're going to need some sort of software to view your images and put them through the "digital darkroom" if it should be necessary. Most modern software, like Photoshop, Elements, later versions of Paint Shop Pro and so on, will only run on Windows 98 and above (but beware NT) and some may only run on XP.

If you can find or you've got some software to use I'd be almost sure that it's not going to be able to do that sort of thing simply because the technology that we're using today wasn't around when Windows 95 was strutting it's stuff.

You're also going to suffer from lack of disk space. Windows 95 could see only 2GB hard drives and with modern digital cameras, file sizes are large and even 2GB won't take long to fill. You'll almost certainly need backup storage devices like writeable CDs to get your images off the PC just to make space for some more. And again, I could be wrong, but I think that Windows 95 hardly supported CD-R if at all.

That would be my take on it but if nothing else, I've found that the web is a place of infinite variety and someone somewhere may be able say "Windows 95? USB? Yeah, no problems ... do this".