PDA

View Full Version : FZ Series Lens Hoods

Jalva22
01-25-2005, 07:20 AM
Can any of the FZ experts out there tell me how the shots compare with and without the lens hood. I'm buying soon in anticipation of our family's first trip to disneyworld in June. I'm sure the bright Florida sunshine can be a challenge. However, I have no intention of carting around this big old camera if I've got to use the hood to get a good shot outside. If that's the case, I will probably step back and just buy a Canon A95 and get the telephoto conversion lens. I'm a digicam newbie, and really don't know which way would be best for me to go. I appreciate any advice anyone can give!

genece
01-25-2005, 07:33 AM
You do not need to use a hood any more with a FZ camera than with a canon.
A hood is a good Idea but not necessary.
When they are talking about lens flair they are referring to adding a filter to the end of the adapter. Then the hood is a good Idea but not necessary.
But the FZ cameras work fine right out of the box ..No adapter or hood.
If size is a concern do not forget the FZ3 its a good camera and you will never notice its only 3 mp.

Jalva22
01-25-2005, 08:00 AM
Thanks! Is 3MP enough for 8x10's? The vast majority of my shots will be typical family vacation 4x6's and day-to-day 4x6's. But I do think I will be printing some 8x10's of the resorts and parks.

andyn
01-25-2005, 08:15 AM
genece is right that lens flare is no more of a problem with the FZ than with any other camera but I don't follow the comment about the adaptor. Lens flare is a potential problem whenever shooting (film or digital, any camera) in bright sunshine as light hitting the lens at an oblique angle can cause reflections on the surface that show up as characteristic bright rings or blobs in your pictures. They are very difficult to remove afterwards. This applies irrespective of adaptors etc, though I think there is a tendency for it to be worse with wide angle lenses. A lens shade helps to screen the lens from stray light and hence reduces the effect. If you want decent pictures in bright light a lens hood is always a good idea and the one that comes with the FZ20 is very effective. If the hood that comes supplied with the FZ is too big for your taste you can use standard folding rubber ones that screw onto the lens like a filter (though to do this you need to get an adaptor that allows normal filter sizes to be used with the FZ - see other discussions on this forum). If you don't use a hood at all, shade the lens with your hand if you see flare on your preview screen. Hope this helps Andy

24Peter
01-25-2005, 09:56 AM
In case you didn't notice, you can also store the stock lens hood on the stock adapter by turning it around and attaching it the same way. Takes up less space in my bag and I don't have to go searching for it. In fact, sometimes I shoot with it that way.

Jalva22
01-27-2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks everybody for the advice. I purchased the fz15 yesterday through vann's. Very smooth transaction so far, no requests for "confirmation call." The order has already shipped as well.

I really appreciate this entire website. It influenced every aspect of my decision-making: choice of camera, choice of lenmar spare battery over the panasonic, choice of sd card brand and size, along with the stores I purchased from (newegg on the sd cards, amazon on the battery (this site's advertised battery website was competitive on price, but I had an amazon gc to apply). This is my first digital camera, so I needed every bit of the help I received!

genece
01-27-2005, 08:52 AM
You will be very happy the FZ15 is a great camera as are the other FZ's
Have a great trip and
Post some photos of Mickey Mouse.

indiawala
01-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Hey guys...i use a Raynox 52mm adaptor with my FZ20 and am looking for a lens hood. I see various rubber collapsable ones and 1 1/2 inch wide metal ones...is one better than the other?? Could you give me links to website or stuff on ebay that you know is good? Thank you

seth

indiawala
01-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Hey guys since no one has responded...i found this one but don't know if anyone out there has used it and has any comments to make.

It just seems so much longer than most of the other collapsable hoods i have seen out there, does this pose a problem? What about vignetting? please respond...thanks

http://www.adorama.com/LNHZ52.html?searchinfo=52mm%20telematic%20hood&item_no=1

thanks you

seth

24Peter
01-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Anyone found a hood for use with the TCON 14B (86mm [yikes :eek: ])???

andyn
01-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Hey guys since no one has responded...i found this one but don't know if anyone out there has used it and has any comments to make.

It just seems so much longer than most of the other collapsable hoods i have seen out there, does this pose a problem? What about vignetting? please respond...thanks

http://www.adorama.com/LNHZ52.html?searchinfo=52mm%20telematic%20hood&item_no=1

thanks you

seth

I bought a rubber type lens hood and UV filter along with the Raynox and get vignetting at 1x when I use both together - so would not recommend for general use, though its ok for sports etc where you'll be working with telephoto anyway. I guess you could try and find a hood with the thinnest fitting ring possible (though I don't know if that's a variable on such things), that might make a difference. Regards Andy

indiawala
01-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Hello Andy...and thanks for your reply. About your hood...what brand is it? Is it collapsable? and if it is...once collapsed it should not cause any vignetting, right?

I found two good ones that I am trying to decide between...anyone with knowledge with either of these...could you please let me know of any problems that either might have or any benefits that I should consider before deciding on what to buy.

The first one is from adorama and looks super long therefore probably providing good protection for telephoto. But considering its so long does it cause significant vignetting? Also from the pictures I cannot tell if this hood collapses completely...which is helpful so that I can leave it on even when I don't want to use it. So any suggestions or hints? please...lol
http://www.adorama.com/LNHZ52.html?searchinfo=52mm%20hood&item_no=18

The second one is also very well represented in these forums. Its similar to the hama hood. any comments on this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43441&item=3860691042&rd=1

Thanks for anyone and everyone for their help

seth