PDA

View Full Version : EVF's and Migraine ?

cklammer
01-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Hi, everybody.

Warning: long post ahead.

I am suffering from Migraine: "The typical migraine headache is unilateral and pulsating, lasting from 4 to 72 hours; [1] symptoms include nausea, vomiting, photophobia (increased sensitivity to bright light), and hyperacusis (increased sensitivity to noise); [2][3][4] approximately one third of people who suffer migraine headache perceive an aura visual, olfactory announcing the headache". (cut-and-paste from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migraine)"

Does anybody ever had the experience of having Migraine induced by looking through a (bridge) camera's electronic viewfinder (EVF)?

Well, I did - repeatedly, realiably reproducable and fairly quickly (less than 30s). The cameras which always do it are Canon's S3/S4/S5. I had an old Fujifilm 6900Z Zoom, too - I was fine with that one. And yes, it happens with both eyes and I have checked the dioptries adjustment for the proper setting with my eyes whenever it was applicable for a particular camera model's EVF.

If anybody has any thoughts, ideas and/or comments on this then I would appreciate them greatly.

I owned the above mentioned Fuji for a number of years and never had any problems. However, with the Canons (any which I have never admittedly owned) checking the cameras in the shop was enough. The first time an EVF caused a bout of Migraine it was a really unpleasant surprise - it got so bad that I had leave my car parked and had go home by taxi (I get blurry vision pretty quickly). I had just sold my fuji and wanted to pick up the Canon S3. A few days later I picked up a Canon Powershot A710is instead (which is a great piece of kit, incidentally). Just goes to show the benefits of one actually looking at and handling a camera physically before purchasing it (online).

BTW, this is my first post in the dcresource forums and I am happy to be here.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts,
cklammer

cdifoto
01-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Eye strain can cause migraines. I can get one quite easily if I try to manually focus my screwmount lenses in dark-ish conditions. And that's through a digital SLR with a relatively large optical viewfinder.

cklammer
01-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Eye strain can cause migraines. I can get one quite easily if I try to manually focus my screwmount lenses in dark-ish conditions. And that's through a digital SLR with a relatively large optical viewfinder.

Thanx for your fast reply.

As far as I can recall the locations where my "EVF migraines" were all indoors but well lighted. The most important observation I recall from almost all incidents was a kind of "flickering" similar to what you get when you look at an old computer CRT monitor running at very low refresh frequencies resulting immediately in an acute feeling of nausea and blurry vision.

cklammer

cdifoto
01-03-2009, 08:16 AM
That's possible too I suppose. I haven't looked through an EVF in years though, and that was a Fuji S7000 which was fine if I recall correctly.

SpecialK
01-03-2009, 11:48 AM
The S3 IS EVFs is a "pain", but not in the migraine sense. Just crappy in general.

cklammer
01-03-2009, 11:56 AM
The S3 IS EVFs is a "pain", but not in the migraine sense. Just crappy in general.

Don't change the subject, please: Did it's EVF want to make you throw up, though ?

SpecialK
01-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Don't change the subject, please: Did it's EVF want to make you throw up, though ?

Wow, I'm so sorry I answered.

cklammer
01-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Wow, I'm so sorry I answered.

Hey, I said "please", didn't I !?! I'm sorry if I am coming over as a dour old curmudgeon but I consider the subject of this thread a pretty serious issue.

As an aside: if we want to bash any particular camera (like the poor old Canon S3 from 2004) then we should open a thread in the appropriate hardware forum (Canon in this case).

Back on topic: Have you personally actually ever had migraine-related issues or symptoms when looking through any EVF (Canon, Fuji, Panasonic, Konic, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus) ? Do you know of any people (other than me, obviously) who had this kind of problems ?

cxklammer

cdifoto
01-04-2009, 12:28 AM
As an aside: if we want to bash any particular camera (like the poor old Canon S3 from 2004) then we should open a thread in the appropriate hardware forum (Canon in this case).
In fairness, you're the one that singled out the Canon S3/S4/S5 in your opening post and specifically stated that a Fuji you had wasn't a problem.

TheWengler
01-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Wow, overreact much? Or is that the migraine talking?

Phill D
01-04-2009, 02:25 AM
I get migranes from too much detailed PC work but have never had anything set off by my Panasonic FZ20 EVF in the past. You may want to try the new Panasonic G1 EVF out it's meant to be the best on the market at the moment.

cklammer
01-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Ok, I went to the mall today and they had the SX10is there - no problem for me. Same with the Panasonic FZ28. No nausea, Migraine aura, blurry vision or headaches.

I will check the current Fujifilm bridge cams later.

As for me singling out the old Canon S3/S4/S5 for alleged "bashing": pls read my OP carefully: I talked about my personal experiences and issues with those cams - I certainly wasn't judging those cams in general.

I have this thing for posts staying on-topic.

cklammer

cdifoto
01-04-2009, 08:38 AM
But...SpecialK's opinion of the S3 viewfinder wasn't off-topic. Your experience (opinion) is that they give you a headache. His or her experience (opinion) is that they suck in general.

It's one thing to keep a thread on-topic and it's another to censor opinions.

cklammer
01-05-2009, 08:35 AM
But...SpecialK's opinion of the S3 viewfinder wasn't off-topic. Your experience (opinion) is that they give you a headache. His or her experience (opinion) is that they suck in general.

It's one thing to keep a thread on-topic and it's another to censor opinions.

OK, I have just re-read SpecialK's post about the S3 and he stated very clearly the S3 generally crappy (which may or may not be true - this is not my point). I felt that this was off-topic as far the thread topic is concerned and pointed that a general discussion of S3 would be better located in the Canon forum IMHO. If you all are offended by this then this wasn't intended and I apologize for any offense anybody may have taken.

Back on topic: These EVF's do have refresh rates. I have checked the online reviews on the Fuji S2000HD and it has been stated somewhere that the EVF screen refresh rate can be set to either 30 Hz or 60 Hz with the factory default at a more battery-friendly 30 Hz. Does anybody know about screen refresh rates of EVFs of bridge cameras in general and specially the screen refresh rates of the old bridge cameras ?

Because if the screen refresh is crappy (like 30 Hz or less and maybe even interlaced) then this would explain a lot: that would be like watching TV from 1 cm away from the screen which would strain your eyes big-time and thus could make you sick in a hurry.

cklammer

cdifoto
01-05-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm not here to get into a pissing match but I suggest you re-read SpecialK's post again. And again. And again if necessary.

He stated that the S3IS EVF is generally crappy.

Oh and by the way: The assistance you receive here will be short lived if you continue to have reading comprehension problems.

T06
01-05-2009, 12:38 PM
From a person who has suffered migraines for years & hasn't had one for years I'd suggest to rule out the obvious & that, for you, is it seems, the refresh rate, the same as the fluorescent lights in shopping malls etc. You seem to be a fairly intelligent if not obstinate person by your posts so explore your diet to find the cause, for mine after 9 years it was vegemite, for you it could be Canons. :)

Beowulff
01-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm guessing that the refresh rate (or "flicker") of any/all digital cameras' LCD screens could certainly trigger migraines.

As with fluorescent tubes: (Excerpted from MyMigraineConnection.com)

"The problem with fluorescent lighting [for migraine sufferers] is difficult to address. Although generally imperceptible to the human eye, fluorescent lighting has a flicker. It's the flicker itself that's actually a migraine trigger. People who are sensitive to that flicker will have a problem with it."

Cheers :)

T06
01-10-2009, 12:57 AM
)

"The problem with fluorescent lighting [for migraine sufferers] is difficult to address. Although generally imperceptible to the human eye, fluorescent lighting has a flicker. It's the flicker itself that's actually a migraine trigger. People who are sensitive to that flicker will have a problem with it."

Cheers :)

Not if they find out what is in there diet that makes them susceptible to migraines, well, that's worked for me anyway.