PDA

View Full Version : Photographer's Manners To Others?

barryindallas
12-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Hey All,
Ever been to a sporting event,concert or other situation where there are large crowds in dark situation and you happen to sit down next to someone with a disposable camera or really cheap camera shooting away with the flash going off like crazy at every shot? You and most people on this forum are aware that using a flash isn't going make you see your rock star or figure picture look any better, in fact, it might make the picture darker due to the faster shutter speed. Do you tell the fan 1) they are wasting film 2) need a better camera 3) laugh while holding your DSLR in pride, 4) say nothing at all
I worked at a photo lab for 6 years and you would not beleive the number of people who would send back prints saying it wasn't their fault, you try to tell them er explain to them that the camera's faster shutter speed is 1/125 sec or the flash range is only 8-10 feet. I tried to explain to customer service where I worked that I could not "fix" the pictures. How would handle my situation?

Barry

Turn
12-16-2008, 02:24 PM
I think you should explain it to them that flash won't reach and it doesn't automatically properly expose any photo (which they won't listen)

I think it would be best to prove it with evidence (which they will deny)

but maybe one out of a large number of customers will get it and walk away with some extra knowledge, which to me is something

I wish there was a knowledge baton that you could whack people over the head with and it would teach them not to use bloody flash for stuff further than 10metres or whatever.

Csae
12-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Keep in mind that some cheap cameras can't even turn off their flash.

It doesn't generally bother me if their flash is going off crazy unless i happen to be working and its fucking with my photos. In that case i politely explain that im trying to do my job and their flash is ruining my photos.

If they don't understand i pickup one of the security guys.

But if your just there for fun, you can try to tell them, and most people will look at your SLR and just nod in awe, but some just won't get it. Theres an old saying, "Don't argue with stupid"

barryindallas
12-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Keep in mind that some cheap cameras can't even turn off their flash.

It doesn't generally bother me if their flash is going off crazy unless i happen to be working and its fucking with my photos. In that case i politely explain that im trying to do my job and their flash is ruining my photos.

If they don't understand i pickup one of the security guys.

But if your just there for fun, you can try to tell them, and most people will look at your SLR and just nod in awe, but some just won't get it. Theres an old saying, "Don't argue with stupid"

LOL --------> "Don't argue with stupid" I just don't understand these people because I'm sure it's not their first time using "those" kind of cameras in similar situations. I usually shut my mouth or at least try when I look at family photo albums during the holidays where I see blurred or out focus pics of grandpa and grandma. Their old Kodak Brownie looks worn and battered but the manual looks brand new since it was probably never....READ!!! :D

seanhoxx
12-16-2008, 04:21 PM
I wish people would take soem time and learn their cameras a bit, even the middle level P&S cameras can do 'all right' at a show if your CLOSE enough with out flash, sure be dark and grainy, blurred a bit but that adds to the "cool factor' of I was there and I was close! If they knew and saw that flash has no use over a distance maybe, just maybe wouldn't use it. And I work tour and event security part time, the flash from the crowd is a bit distracting, and be be hazardous. If I can't see I can't catch the kid falling, etc. Also we don't go out deep into the pit or crowd for people with cameras unless they are using the flash and attracting attention/complaints from us the band or the road security. I have been to a few shows in the UK years ago, not major venues or anything but they kept the house lights up when the bands came on and for like the first song or 2, then if people used flash security was pretty much on there case during the rest of the show, even ejecting. anyway just a few comments.

K1W1
12-19-2008, 09:24 PM
I just sit at home giggling when I see night time sports events on TV and watch all the flashes going off 70 rows back on the third level of the stadium.
I cannot believe that there are so many people who have a fixatation for taking photos of the back of the person in fronts head. :D:D