PDA

View Full Version : Tamron 10-24mm?

Birchblaze
12-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Well, the images (http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=Tamron+10-24mm&m=text) and reviews:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=29965083

http://virtualentity.blogspot.com/

...are starting to roll in. Not sure if it's available for us yet, Amazon says "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months." ...any Sony users had a crack at this lens yet? At least at this stage, the reviews seem to be leaning toward the negative.

What do you guys think?

DonSchap
12-15-2008, 02:41 PM
As far as I know, TAMRON has NOT yet released the SONY-mount. I had hoped to get one before the end of the month, but it looks like that won't be under the tree, this time.

As with anything, trying is believing. I know the SIGMA AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC EX has been a class leader, for the SONY-mount, with the occasional soft focus. My own copy has been sent back to SIGMA for "adjustment" and I am patiently awaiting its return.

A fair evaluation of the TAMRON SP AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD would be against the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. Obviously, this would have to take place on a Canon EOS Digital SLR camera, but it would be a fair side-by-side, as they are close in almost every way.

You could also compare it ... within certain constraits to the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8 lens. Although that lens is a skosh brighter, but 8mm shorter, the performance at the wide end should be very similar. Again, no SONY-mount for Tokina, so the Canon EOS would probably be the fairest assessment.

As a third party lens, the TAMRON offers the longest focal spread in the class ... and for some, that would be a real asset, especially meeting up with the 24-70mm crowd.

Anyway, perhaps in January/February it may just be available for the SONYs. There is always some darn lens we are waiting on. Mine will always be the:

SP AF 17-135mm f/1.2(f/22) XR Di LD high-speed zoom lens, at a back breaking 64 ounces, yet short by most standards. With a whopping 120mm first element, it would hide the photographer's face and the pop-up flash behind it. :eek: Talk about 'lens shadow'! LOL And all your filters would have to "drop in", because ... they just don't make 'em that big!

See?

Open wide!!!

dr4gon
12-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Well, the images (http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=Tamron+10-24mm&m=text) and reviews:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=29965083

http://virtualentity.blogspot.com/

...are starting to roll in. Not sure if it's available for us yet, Amazon says "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months." ...any Sony users had a crack at this lens yet? At least at this stage, the reviews seem to be leaning toward the negative.

What do you guys think?

As far as I know, TAMRON has NOT yet released the SONY-mount. I had hoped to get one before the end of the month, but it looks like that won't be under the tree.

As with anything, trying is believing. I know the SIGMA AF 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC EX has been a class leader, for the SONY-mount, with the occasional soft focus. My own copy has been sent back to SIGMA for "adjustment" and I am patiently awaiting its return.

A fair evaluation of the TAMRON SP AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD would be against the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. Obviously, this would have to take place on a Canon EOS Digital SLR camera, but it would be a fair side-by-side, as they are close in almost every way.

You could also compare it ... within certain constraits to the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8 lens. Although that lens is a skosh brighter, but 8mm shorter, the performance at the wide end should be very similar. Again, no SONY-mount for Tokina, so the Canon EOS would probably be the fairest assessment.

As a third party lens, the TAMRON offers the longest focal spread in the class ... and for some, that would be a real asset, especially meeting up with the 24-70mm crowd.

Anyway, perhaps in January/February it may just be available for the SONYs. There is always some darn lens we are waiting on. Mine will always be the:

SP AF 17-135mm f/1.2(f/22) XR Di LD high-speed zoom lens, at a back breaking 64 ounces, yet short by most standards. With a whopping 120mm first element, it would hide the photographer's face and the pop-up flash behind it. :eek:

See?

Open wide!!!

Don, I'm shocked, a CANON! get that thing away from your face before it blows your head off, just kidding... :p

I'm pretty excited about how this lens turns out too. I must say though, that user's review is HORRIBLE. The Tamron shots are way too different and not properly exposed to make a decent comparison. We'll have to wait for a more competent review to make our decisions. I think I might wait for the FF and get something like the 16-35mm ZA for it as an UWA.

DonSchap
12-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Well, I have a KM AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4 "D" full frame lens ... and it shoots seriously sharp. It is the original "full frame" lens BEFORE the SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) APS-C version came our way. It is also a whole world cheaper than that CZ 16-35 is going to be ($1799). Consider your options! :D

dr4gon
12-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Well, I have a KM AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4 "D" full frame lens ... and it shoots seriously sharp. It is the original "full frame" lens BEFORE the SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) APS-C version came our way. It is also a whole world cheaper than that CZ 16-35 is going to be ($1799). Consider your options! :D

Thanks, it'll be a while before I come to that decision! :D

seanhoxx
12-15-2008, 06:53 PM
SP AF 17-135mm f/1.2 XR DI LD Saaaaaaaaaaaayyyy, now thats a lens, let me turn the gym lights down a bit, it's way to bright in here LOL!! Man you would attract some attention at a high school basketball game with that!

DonSchap
12-15-2008, 07:31 PM
You could use it to light the gym! LOL With the LCD!

laydros
02-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Any ideas when we will see this thing released for Sony?

I finally sold off my old amp last night, and I've had a couple of bites on some other stuff I put up on Craigslist, so I'll probably have the money soon. I'm almost settled on the Tamron 17-50mm, which I know you guys are sick of hearing me say I am going to get, but I keep thinking about getting that 10-24 instead, since I'm pretty happy with my MinO 28-85. I know the two lenses serve very different purposes, but both will cover the range below my 28-85, one is wider, and one is faster (and more useful range).

How about the Sigma 10-20 that Don has, any feelings on that vs. the Tamron 10-24? Similar price and is available.

DonSchap
02-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Well. the 17-50 will provide you with some sharp images ... and when it comes to IQ, it is definitely above average.

The 10-20mm f/4-5.6 or 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 both offer an exceptionally wide view. It would be the lens to have to do architectural work, inside churches for group shots, and rather wide field applications.

Personally, it comes under rare occasional use for me. I definitely get a lot more use out of the 17-50mm, in the average week.