PDA

View Full Version : "Chatter"...

Razr
12-08-2008, 02:32 PM
OK: why is my E510 "chattering" (inside) briefly when turned off, with or without a lens?

Though the event doesn't happen every time, what's going on?

S_p_i_d_e_r
12-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Sensor cleaning?

raven15
12-08-2008, 05:31 PM
No, sensor cleaning in Oly's only happens on startup. Maybe something to do with the IS turning off? I have heard that happens, though I'm not an expert obviously. Does it vary with the focal length of the last lens used or anything?

jekostas
12-08-2008, 10:16 PM
The noise you hear is the IS system being reset before it gets turned off. No worries, it's completely normal.

Phill D
12-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Interesting mine has done it once recently & I wondered what it was too. Strange it doesn't always do it?

kgosden
12-09-2008, 07:55 AM
If IS is turned off then it does not do the shutdown shake dance. It is actually buried in the manual someplace. Everyone has mentioned that Olympus should put a bold note up front or include a little sticker on the camera inner plastic packaging. I bet it is the number one support call.

GoneTomorrow
12-09-2008, 08:10 AM
That's funny, I would be freaked about it too.

Razr
12-09-2008, 04:13 PM
No, sensor cleaning in Oly's only happens on startup. Maybe something to do with the IS turning off? I have heard that happens, though I'm not an expert obviously. Does it vary with the focal length of the last lens used or anything?

Nope. It even happens if there is no lens mounted.

Razr
12-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Interesting mine has done it once recently & I wondered what it was too. Strange it doesn't always do it?

Yes, it truely is.

e_dawg
12-09-2008, 10:51 PM
It is the IS system re-centering itself for safe transport. Everyone asks this question on every Olympus forum on the Net whenever they first notice it. 99 times out of 100, that's what it is.

Phill D
12-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Had a bit more of a play & I can't get my E510 to make that noise again. It does the usual rattle when I turn it off every time when IS is on which is what e_dawg describes but just that once it was much harsher and louder. Oh well no point in fretting until it does it regularly I guess. However, I did hear another noise it was a kind of scraping/grinding noise & it only occurs when the shutter is open on very long exposure. It does sound odd I supose it's something to do with the timing mechanism but I'd have thought that was all electronic so why any noise?

e_dawg
12-10-2008, 05:50 AM
Phill, I think you may have answered your own question. If it is not the typical IS re-centering noise, it may be the shutter + mirror mechanism. It could have been in Live View mode with a long exposure going.

Phill D
12-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Yes it may well have been in live view mode as I don't use live view very often & had on a couple of occasions recently.