PDA

View Full Version : E520 User Question - WB Reliability

JohnKK
12-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Hi All:

After using the E510 for a year on the dot and reading all the mixed "pro" reviews about the E520 (i.e. soft JPEG, DR) I came across a deal that I couldn't refuse at my favorite camera store.....I really needed to put this debate to bed in my own mind even if I simply end up ebaying it.

I have only had it a few days and in this time I have found +2 in sharpness produces JPEG output very close to E510 & the DR is much better in JPEG and slightly better in RAW.

The only "issue" I have found is with the Auto WB & Flash WB......I use an FL-36R(TTL mode) and have found that even properly exposed flash shots take on a noticable read hue.....it is most annoying in portrait shots.
Fortunetly, this can be compensated for by adjustment in camera (I'm using -3 on the red channel).

Custom WB was often needed on my E510 for non-flash shots....but Auto WB always worked fine provided I wasn't trying to light up an auditorium.

Has anyone else encountered this ?

Thanks John K

JohnKK
12-05-2008, 08:42 AM
The only "issue" I have found is with the Auto WB & Flash WB......I use an FL-36R(TTL mode) and have found that even properly exposed flash shots take on a noticable (read :mad:) RED hue.....it is most annoying in portrait shots.
Fortunetly, this can be compensated for by adjustment in camera (I'm using -3 on the red channel).

Thanks John K[/QUOTE]

e_dawg
12-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Really? I find the E-520 to be a wonderful improvement over the E-510 in all areas. I think the camera is doing the right thing, trying to compensate for the bluishness of the flash. What you could do is "gel" your flash with 1/2 CTO for rooms with incandescent lighting and set a custom WB or use AWB with -6 for Red and -2 for Green.