PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on buying a digital.

MiKe
08-08-2004, 04:17 PM
hey i'm looking for a digital camera,and i cant decide what camera to buy.
im looking for a digital camera that isnt expensive and also have these qualities(not in any order):
1. Video mode with audio.
2.video format as AVI.
3.good quality pictures
4.at least 3 mp
5.easy to use
6.cheap.
7.strong
8.and it would be a treat to be able to have special modes and/or the ability to get wet so i can use it at the beach and on the ski hill.

I have been looking for a bit..this is what i've come up with, canon a70/a75.
canon a310. canon a80. i need suggestions..also by cheap i mean no more than 300 canadian...not including the extra stuff.......

D70FAN
08-08-2004, 04:54 PM
hey i'm looking for a digital camera,and i cant decide what camera to buy.
im looking for a digital camera that isnt expensive and also have these qualities(not in any order):
1. Video mode with audio.
2.video format as AVI.
3.good quality pictures
4.at least 3 mp
5.easy to use
6.cheap.
7.strong
8.and it would be a treat to be able to have special modes and/or the ability to get wet so i can use it at the beach and on the ski hill.

canon a310. canon a80. i need suggestions..also by cheap i mean no more than 300 canadian...not including the extra stuff.......

A75. The A80 adds a little resolution and an articulating LCD. Either one depending on your budget.

MiKe
08-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Hey,that was quick,and do you think that it is mainly the same other than the little resolution and articulating lcd...cause if it is then i'll probably go for the a75, mainly because of my budget,and because if thats all thats different then it doesnt really matter much,because i dont really need those qualities.

Thanks ,Mike

speaklightly
08-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Why not take a look at the Penta 33WR or the Pentax 43WR. Both are waterproof (class7 waterproof by Japanese standards) and do a great job with digital photos.

Sarah Joyce

zoodany
08-09-2004, 01:21 AM

I have the A75, on www.zoodany.it you can see (and vote) some of my pics, to have an idea about tha camera..

zoodany..
www.zoodany.it

MiKe
08-09-2004, 10:24 AM
I already took a look at your pics a bit zoodany...ill probably take another look though.
and i will take a look at those pentax cameras sarah,i have before,but not in much detail..thanks..
MiKeyyyyy

D70FAN
08-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Why not take a look at the Penta 33WR or the Pentax 43WR. Both are waterproof (class7 waterproof by Japanese standards) and do a great job with digital photos.

Sarah Joyce

These cameras are water resistant (Hence the WR), not water proof. They are not submersable and can only handle rain and the occasional "washing" (??). I guess they expect this camera to get muddy. With no lens protector this might be risky.

There is no AF Illuminator, only 1.6" vs. 1.8" LCD, and even with my average size hands the 33WR (haven't tried the 43WR) is hard to hold, and I often found my index finger in front of the lens (I have this problem with most true pocket cameras). At almost twice the price I just don't think it offers as much value as the A75.

If you like going out in the rain or even free/scuba/pool diving you can add a water proof case to the A75. WP-DC30 underwater case ($180) which is good to 40M (about 120 feet). Now you are up to about the cost of the Optio 33WR.

MiKe
08-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Yeah i checked out them before also..and found the same thing...and the one major difference that means a lot to me is that the a75s movie format is AVI.....instead of quicktime,i dont like quicktime cause it wont go in my moviemaker thingy...its very annoying...this was the same problem with the olympus stylus digital 300,400 and 410....thats one of the reasons why i think i am probably going to get the a75...one,because of the AVI. format,also the price isnt bad.. it has quite a few special modes...like surf and snow mode...which would be very helpful to me...cause i intend to use the a75 for taking pictures of me and my friends skimboarding and skiing..so the surf and snow mode is very good...also it has the underwater case thingy,not that im going to get it...the price is a little expensive and it wouldnt be of much use to me because i dont scubedive....well, seeya later..

Rhys
08-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Yeah i checked out them before also..and found the same thing...and the one major difference that means a lot to me is that the a75s movie format is AVI.....instead of quicktime,i dont like quicktime cause it wont go in my moviemaker thingy...its very annoying...this was the same problem with the olympus stylus digital 300,400 and 410....thats one of the reasons why i think i am probably going to get the a75...one,because of the AVI. format,also the price isnt bad.. it has quite a few special modes...like surf and snow mode...which would be very helpful to me...cause i intend to use the a75 for taking pictures of me and my friends skimboarding and skiing..so the surf and snow mode is very good...also it has the underwater case thingy,not that im going to get it...the price is a little expensive and it wouldnt be of much use to me because i dont scubedive....well, seeya later..

There's a free program called "bink & smacker" which converts quick time to avi and vice versa as well as doing lots of other wierd things. Could be worth a look?

speaklightly
08-12-2004, 07:16 PM
George-

Let's be serious here. There are waterproof cases available for many digital camera. Canon is not the only brand in the digital camera world, even though I own more than a few Canon digital cameras.

What I am attempting to do is to give folks MANY choices. When they find what they desire they may indeed come back to the Canon brand, because it is a great brand.

I see our place here as folks that will encourage investigation and the seeking out of answers. It is not limited to brand names. We are here to encourage folks to explore a bit, and to find out what works for them.

When they make a decision after some investigation, they feel more sure and confident. I hope that I did not offend you with my reply.

Sincerely,

Sarah Joyce

These cameras are water resistant (Hence the WR), not water proof. They are not submersable and can only handle rain and the occasional "washing" (??). I guess they expect this camera to get muddy. With no lens protector this might be risky.

There is no AF Illuminator, only 1.6" vs. 1.8" LCD, and even with my average size hands the 33WR (haven't tried the 43WR) is hard to hold, and I often found my index finger in front of the lens (I have this problem with most true pocket cameras). At almost twice the price I just don't think it offers as much value as the A75.

If you like going out in the rain or even free/scuba/pool diving you can add a water proof case to the A75. WP-DC30 underwater case ($180) which is good to 40M (about 120 feet). Now you are up to about the cost of the Optio 33WR.

MiKe
08-13-2004, 09:35 AM
I've been searching the whole summer pretty much..I just needed another persons view of what i've come up...and i've been searching more after almost every response..it is a great site to find answers....and questions.

Also,i have heard about that site that converts the movie format..i might check that out and if it works maybe it will sway my decision somewhere else...who knows???

MiKey

D70FAN
08-13-2004, 11:39 AM
George-

Let's be serious here. There are waterproof cases available for many digital camera. Canon is not the only brand in the digital camera world, even though I own more than a few Canon digital cameras.

What I am attempting to do is to give folks MANY choices. When they find what they desire they may indeed come back to the Canon brand, because it is a great brand.

I see our place here as folks that will encourage investigation and the seeking out of answers. It is not limited to brand names. We are here to encourage folks to explore a bit, and to find out what works for them.

When they make a decision after some investigation, they feel more sure and confident. I hope that I did not offend you with my reply.

Sincerely,

Sarah Joyce

Sarah, Not a problem. But when you quote a camera as being "water-proof", to an official Japanese standard, and it is only "water resistant" there is room for correction.

And I quote:

"Why not take a look at the Penta 33WR or the Pentax 43WR. Both are waterproof (class7 waterproof by Japanese standards) and do a great job with digital photos."

I know that sooner or later someone will buy an Optio 33/43WR and take it in the pool or the ocean. Never expect people to read the manual or warnings. 90% don't. They just pop in the batteries and go.

I was offering an option that is waterproof and takes superior photos, at about the same cost. Nowhere in my statement did I say this is the only way to go. And likewise, nowhere in your statement, did you offer a camera in a waterproof case as an option.

As a side note: You might want to consider recommending cameras with low light AF assist. Most people buying cameras in the sub $300 range are replacing their old 35mm or APS point-n-shoot. When someone is taking a picture, of the birthday kid, they expect the camera to go "flash-click", not see a blinking AF light.

Food for thought.

MiKe
08-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Thats true..i can also see people...like myself going in the water without reading the fine print..it says on their website that it shouldnot be submerged..or something like that..that message is kinda hard to see so i wouldnt be surprised if people did take it in the water..water resistant and waterproof sound similar...but when dealing with digital cameras it is a pretty big difference..
MiKey

MiKe
08-19-2004, 02:47 PM
There's a free program called "bink & smacker" which converts quick time to avi and vice versa as well as doing lots of other wierd things. Could be worth a look?

Can you direct me to this site/ info about it.....could be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.MiKe

Rhys
08-19-2004, 03:09 PM
Can you direct me to this site/ info about it.....could be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.MiKe

http://www.radgametools.com/binkhlp2.htm#START

MiKe
08-21-2004, 10:18 AM
I was wondering if the fujifilm finepix a330 is a good camera?
MiKe

D70FAN
08-21-2004, 05:31 PM
I was wondering if the fujifilm finepix a330 is a good camera?
MiKe

If all you want is a decent point-n-shoot, then sure. Probably a good outdoor shooter as it is fixed ISO. Indoors??? probably usable.

User reviews seem ok and sometimes the cheep-o's surprise everyone.

My advice is to try before you buy. If you can get this camera for ~$100 then it is probably ok. XD cards are a little expensive, but you should only need a 128MB or at most 256MB. Keep it cheep.

Let us know the outcome since there are no professional reviews on low-cost cameras.

MiKe
08-21-2004, 09:16 PM
ya,well im at my cottage for the summer so i havnt been able to get a camera...(there are no stores)./....so i told my mom to check out the a75.And so now she came back with the finepix a33o...i have been playinn with it today and have found it to be ok...very good for the price...(bought it at an auction)but ill give you guys a more in depth review once ive played a little more......
Later
MiKe

D70FAN
08-21-2004, 09:32 PM
ya,well im at my cottage for the summer so i havnt been able to get a camera...(there are no stores)./....so i told my mom to check out the a75.And so now she came back with the finepix a33o...i have been playinn with it today and have found it to be ok...very good for the price...(bought it at an auction)but ill give you guys a more in depth review once ive played a little more......
Later
MiKe

Thanks Mike. We look forward to your thoughts.

MiKe
08-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Hey,
Well,so far the A330 has turned out to be just great.
Its easy to use,it has everything i would want/need.(and even a little more;webcam ability) The only thing that i found could be a bit better is the movies...because it doesnt have sound,but it doesnt matter that much. you can take 60 second of 320x240 and 240s of 160x120..but its good because you can take as many movies as you would like, but they just cant exceed the time limit(60s and 240s) or if you fill the memory card...it also has a lens cover that acts as a power switch(it provides good protection)but what it doesnt say in the manual(which is pretty good) is that if the it is in photography mode(lens is out) and you use the cover to turn it off then you shouldnt slide it all the way,just a little so it turns off/the lens gos in or else you could damage the lens...ill have more when i have more time/have used it more
Mike.