PDA

View Full Version : They have stolen my photo !!!

alessy
12-01-2008, 09:40 AM
I just wonder if you ever had such a situation when you saw your picture in some others magazine and they didn't ask you for permitions and noting ?

I'm wondering what can you do when something like that happends? It can happen just by the way and gets stolen even from this forum.

I have heard that such things do happen and how can you fight against it.

Does watermarks do any job to tell visitors that this is only for watching and It has owners rights, etc...

Rhys
12-01-2008, 09:42 AM
If you can prove it's your photo and it's a big enough magazine, head straight for a copyright lawyer.

alessy
12-01-2008, 10:23 AM
But how can you prove that the photo is yours ?

We know that exif can be chaged, and you canno't really prove that the photo is yours because it is your name in exif or something ?

Rhys
12-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Is it a crop from one of your photos? It can be proven to be identical. Why not just register copyright of your photo then go straight to court. That negates having to prove it's yours - you own the copyright!

alessy
12-01-2008, 11:50 AM
To register every of your photo, I dont think so...
Crop can help alot, but for evrything else I dont see the point.

TheWengler
12-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Having a RAW file could also be used as proof.

Csae
12-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Having a raw file, a cropped shot, the same camera make and model /lens as the photo, having different photos in the set, a friend who was there with you can also act as a witness, etc.

These are all ways to prove that the photo is your's.

I dont know about you but we get a minimum of 3fps on most slrs, i sure as hell dont take 1 photo of 1 thing, if i do a landscape theres a good number of extra shots and different focals.

Not to mention most hdr photos take anywhere from 3 to 10 photos, if you took the same landscape at 3 different focals and used a minimum of 3 shots each time, thats 9 photos in total. All pointing towards you.

erichlund
12-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Of course, if you are going to shoot pro, it probably pays to get a magnesium body. All the mag bodies support image authentication through Nikon Image Authentication Software.

In the U.S., it costs $35 to electronically register a copyright, and you may copyright as many photos as you can upload in the 30 minute timeout period. I have not done this, but I understand you don't have to upload full res photos, so you can upload lores versions of your hi res originals. You would want to confirm this. Of course, the only photos you need to copyright are those that are at risk, where you have published them in some medium (unless, of course, you are concerned about actual burglary ;) ).

Of course, I would only bother with this where I actually had a profit motive. It seems a waste to spend money to register a copyright on something you don't intend to sell.

BTW: If you are uploading a large number of photos, it may pay to zip them. The formats that are accepted include .jpg (and equivalents) and .tiff. Others also, but these are the most likely for you to have. They don't accept RAW format files. So, convert and zip up all your jpegs and send in one packet.