PDA

View Full Version : Panning?

Lilchilichoco
11-23-2008, 05:34 AM
Hi again,

This time, I need your help regarding panning. What is it and how do you do this? How do you get a sharp image of something with everything behind in movement? I'd be grateful if someone could help by explaining the technique or tell me about some site to learn from.

Many thanks

Regards

faisal
11-23-2008, 06:05 AM
I suck at it...but here is what I try....

Slow shutter speed....depending on the speed of the moving object...so 1/60...a high aperture to compensate the low shutter speed....burst mode and focus on something near to the moving object before it enters you're frame (AI servo might help)....and move camera in the same direction as soon as the object enters you're frame and click away....

Another option is to move at the same speed as the object and click away with a slow shutter speed....

toriaj
11-23-2008, 10:20 AM
I haven't done much with panning, but you can see a shot from two years ago here (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26698&highlight=panning&page=3). If you scroll down the page you'll see a comment from TNB that might be helpful. He does a lot of racecar shots, so I'm sure he could give you some tips. Maybe you could send him a PM.

kgosden
11-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Panning is generally used to focus attention on a subject that is moving without losing the sense of motion. It is most common in sports, but can be great for pets and kids.

To get good results you REALLY need to understand shutter speeds and their relationship to your subjects relative speed of motion. One key is often prefocusing as even the best autofocus may not give you what you are after. Expect lots of less than perfect shots, especially as the subject speed or randomness of it's motion increases. Even a pro may only get 1 in 20 that are really good in some scenes. The more the subject moves the less of it you can keep in focus as it moves outside of the depth of field of your lens. Getting shots of a driver working a turn or a similar small feature is very tough and can take dozens of attempts. Sometimes a little subject blur adds interest.

Lilchilichoco
11-25-2008, 01:36 AM
Hi Fais, thanks for the info. When are we meeting?

Tori, I've seen that shot before and I think it's fabulous! Yes TNB's comment was very helpful.

kgosden, thank you very much for the info and it's certainly very heartening to know that even a pro may get 1 in 20 shots right.:) Once I figure out my cam I'm going to be practicing this a lot.

Many thanks

Warm Regards