PDA

View Full Version : A&M Photoworld Brooklyn,N.Y.

Chuck Westerfield
01-21-2005, 04:26 AM
Would not recommend the A&M Photoworld. These people offer lowest prices on the internet, when you order they will email you and advise you that you need to buy the American camera, also buy the battery, the warranty and other things that comes with a camera. I worked my way through the deal after calling Kodak for information. I can't see why Kodak even would let them represent their products. There is a site that I located after the purchases that has 37 plus pages of complaints. Don't just look for a low ball price be sure to go up a little on price to a more reputable dealer. Some of the camera sites are filled with scams and these folks are the masters. Just beware of this firm...as I understand it they operate 4 companies and bait and switch is the name of the game.

Cold Snail
01-21-2005, 04:47 AM
I'm sorry to hear that.
Even though I'm from the UK, I have heard a lot about this crowd and I see how they snare people in with the prices.

Here's their ratings by customers.

A&M Rating (http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1988.html)

I have used B&H Photo for a 35mm part and would recommend them instead.

B&H Rating (http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1914.html)

Paul.

D70FAN
01-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Would not recommend the A&M Photoworld. These people offer lowest prices on the internet, when you order they will email you and advise you that you need to buy the American camera, also buy the battery, the warranty and other things that comes with a camera. I worked my way through the deal after calling Kodak for information. I can't see why Kodak even would let them represent their products. There is a site that I located after the purchases that has 37 plus pages of complaints. Don't just look for a low ball price be sure to go up a little on price to a more reputable dealer. Some of the camera sites are filled with scams and these folks are the masters. Just beware of this firm...as I understand it they operate 4 companies and bait and switch is the name of the game.

I second Pauls B&H recommendation, and add Norman Camera up in Michigan.

If they are an "authorized dealer" then Kodak might be able to exert some influance, but it's a competitive world, and the reality is that Kodak is fighting for "shelf space" (actual or virtual) against 10 or 20 other brands and 100, or more, different models.

You should have probably posted this warning up on the "where should I buy my camera" forum.

If you do, please erase this one. :)

GoBengals
02-06-2005, 02:18 PM
i also ordered from a&m it was horrible, reading thier feedback i fell to the same fate as many, advertise a great price for the dx7590 $335, and then email and say i needed to call and verify some information before the order is processed, i called, they tried to sell me EVERYTHING under the sun, then when i didnt buy any extras, they told me it was a 6 weeks backorder and hung up.

so i called the sales department and asked if it was in stock, pretending to be a new customer, they said yes we have plenty, i then called back about my order, and was told it was wrong information, and its now backordered 6-8 weeks.

this happened with two other companies in that same "ring" of camera stores, unfortunetly there isnt much you can do. I eventually cancelled the order and just bought it on ebay, brand new in sealed box for $390. Also got a 1gig SD card for $71 shipping and all.

the camera should show up anyday now tracking says tuesday or so. i have been browsing these forums for about a week, it helped me make my purchase. hope to be posting some pics of my own soon!

ordxpres
02-11-2005, 12:11 PM
This company is an absolute TRASH OF TRASH... i believe it's a sister retailer to digitalliquidators.com
Both use almost exactly same website format. Discount coupons work on either one. Back in december 2004 my friend from Poland asked me to buy him a digicam Sony DSC-P150. Of course...lowest price on the web was at AM and digiliquid.... After order was submitted with US based credit card and shipping address They stillneeded to verify it. Then the standard bullshit followed - did you want the battery with is and charger. Same happened to me as to other potential customers. I called sony to verfy the shipping packages... SONY confirmed there is ONLY one worldwide package WHICH includes all of the above (charger, battery as they're proprietary). Then when I said i don't want any extras I was told the camera is on back order.... before I knew anything about this company I waited over a week. Then called as a "new customer"... was told they are in stock. I asked the same person why is my order not shipping then.. I was SCREAMED at and told I ordered the model without the battery. I replied that I verified with sony and there's no other model or package... I told them that I hope they will go out of business soon. The guy on the phone told me to "f..k off and hang up the phone). I called back to cancell the order. I got the camera from another GREAT SOURCE.... www.onecall.com - no fuss, no bs, good prices.... HIGHLY PRAISED. Stay away from AM and digiliquid....

But wait...there's more... Yesterday I started hunting for digicam for myself... chose Casio EX-Z50.... went to AM and digiliqud as they were listed on pricegrabber.... decided not to go with them as their shipping was too high. Today (02/11/05) I got an e-mail from BOTH places offering me free shipping. I clicked on the link and ordered the camera before I recalled it was the same place from December 2004. They left me a message on my voice mail to call back to verify the shipping/billing address.... I did and again polite voice "Uhmmm Sir, did you want a battery and charger with that?". I told them that the package includes the standard battery and charger. The responce was no... we do not open the boxes and there's no battery or charger. I told the guy right away o cancell the order as I went through the same shit with them back in december.... STAY AWAY - STAY AWAY, STAY AWAY

latinmessiah
03-29-2005, 10:29 AM
I recently ordered a camera from them online (a FujiFilm S5100) and recieved an email the next day saying they had to "verify" the order before they shipped it out. I tried to get in contact with them to do just that, but no one answered the phone or replied my emails.

After spending 3 days trying to get in contact with them, I got fed up and cancelled the order through my last and final email with them. One week AFTER I had ordered the camera, I finally recieved a phone call from them. NOW they wanted to verify my order! The guy said they charged my account (eventhough they never did) and called to verify the shipping address. That's when I told them I credit card was never charged and that I had cancelled the order due to their failure at responding to my phone calls and emails. The guy got into a hissy fit and made a childish, sarcastic comment about my screen name saying, "So you're the LatinMessiah....is that what you call yourself?" He also asked if I had ordered from someone else. I lied (since I figured this was the language he was speaking) and said I ordered the same camera from Amazon for $300 and that made the guy even more irritated. He finally said, "I'm not going to charge you the 5% cancellation fee since you got ripped off by Amazon" and hung up in my face.

5 minutes later, I recieved an email confirming my cancelled order and that no charges were made to my credit card. What a bunch of losers over at A&M PhotoWorld! I hope I see them on 20/20 or NightLine someday, those spineless frauds.