View Full Version : Gear to cover fashion shows?

11-02-2008, 03:15 AM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering, what do photographers cover indoor fashion shows with in terms of gear? What lense is usually used and is external flash mandatory?

Many thanks and regards

11-02-2008, 03:52 AM
I've never gone to a fashion show, only seen them on TV but it LARGELY depends where you stand, like unless you can get those expensive zoom lenses that are constant 2.8 then I wouldn't worry as much but prime lenses are prob your best bet

I dunno? 85mm? 105mm? 200mm?
ISO would definitely be 1600-3200
External flash? prob best to have one just incase :)

give us details of location, where you can stand etc so we can help you..

11-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi Lil', it's good to see you! Your question makes me very curious about your new opportunity! Best of luck to you. I remembered this shot (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=313432#post313432) from Delobbo. It's a flickr upload, I hope you can see it. On Flickr he says that he took it with the 50mm1.4 stopped to 1.6, but it looks like he's standing pretty close to the runway. You might consider sending him a PM about his technique and equipment.

11-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks Turn.

Tori, I have a 'maybe' about this. Someone asked me to do this at a very short notice and I had no idea if I could pull it off without an external flash so I declined. I saw Delobbo's shot, thanks for that. Looks like the nifty 50 might be able to do this, but whether I would need an external flash or not would depend on the light at the event, and that would decide the aperture capabilities of the lense used too. For now it's nothing. But maybe :)

Good to be here too girl. We always come back home, don't we?

Take care

11-03-2008, 12:36 AM
bella, unless you have a full frame camera with the associated iso capabilities, you will almost definately need flash.

11-03-2008, 12:58 AM
You need an external flash....irrespective of what lens you have unless as Rooz said you can get clean ISO3200 or 6400 images...i.e full frame...

Or the location is very well lit though I doubt that....

11-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Hi Rooz. I know! Getting a flash for Pentax in Dubai is the biggest issue. I'll look for it here or else try and get it shipped from the US. Thanks Fais.

Best regards

11-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Nice to see you're still "alive and clicking", 2PDG! :) I was starting to wonder where you were, again. Are you getting more photo assignments nowadays? Got "Some more" shots to show us, maybe? :D

11-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Lilchilichoco, I've not shot at a fashion show before but I was with my friend that was shooting one. It was a smaller event so the photo pit was much like a mosh pit. He had the best equipment out of all the photographers and he forced his way into a prime spot. Sometimes you just have to be pushy to get good shots.

In terms of equipment, I think he had a fast medium zoom lens and he definitely had a flash with diffuser. (I wasn't as be into photography equipment at the time but I know my friend has spent a lot on his gear)

A fast prime might be good but you will always have to wait until the subject is where you want her to be because there's not a lot of room to move at a fashion show, so framing might be an issue. The a fast f/2.8 zoom would be a good lens as you could easily change the focal length to catch the models coming down the runway. If you've ever shot indoor sports I'd assume this is much the same. Good luck and please share afterwards ;)

11-19-2008, 03:42 AM
Hi Wesan, jedinite.

I'm sorry for such a late response.

Wesan....I am alive and kicking like hell alright ;-). Unfortunately, no more assignments and no more new shots. Just been busy with other things.

jedinite thanks for the tips. It hasn't happened yet but if it does, I'll definitely put up the shots here.

Many thanks

11-19-2008, 05:27 AM
I've ever shot a fashion show but I have staged them and fashion photography is one of the reasons I have gotten back into photography after a 20+ year absence. My GF is a designer and part-time model who was encouraging me to get a decent camera and play photographer.
Every fashion show I've done or attended had a high priority placed on getting it covered by media and making sure the show had areas set aside for photographers....it was an important form of promotion for a designer, event organizer or venue. As a result, it is expected to have a constant triggering of flash units. A show or stage manager would know the show was a flop if the flashes were not going off at a high rate. It is not a drama theater where a flash is not acceptable, the show is as much for the press or media as it is for the attendees.
So, get a flash and take lots of photos, have spare battery packs, you will need them. Predictable color capture is very important for these shots so the only way to compensate for the less than predictable venue available light. It is a show so there will be dedicated runway lighting but you have no control of it and stage designers sometimes get a bit "artistic" to produce an effect that might not be good from your vantage point. That is what your own light source does, giving back to you some source of control.
Be sure to have an assistant taking notes, you will not have time to annotate your shots or align them with the program. If you mix up or fail to mention the correct designer in captions you will not be invited back and you might get a call from their lawyers if the wrong information accompanies published photos. Printing corrections is not what a publisher wants to do. It is more important to properly describe the item and designer than have a great shot.
Have fun...a good fashion show is fun, fast paced and "show business". A bad show is boring and not much fun.

11-23-2008, 05:17 AM
Thank you stanj, that was very informative. I haven't yet found the opportunity but if I do, this will come in very handy.

Many thanks