PDA

View Full Version : E520 Owners -What Happened ?

JohnKK
10-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Hi All:

I am brand new to this forum so if this threads "been done" already sorry.
I'm not a huge user of forums or reviews but I love the concise reviews on this site (and one other site DPreview), but I'm at a loss to understand the E520 review here......E420 very good to excellent, yet the E520 ?......looks to me like a "bum" unit was used.

Had to join site forum if for no other reason but to ask E520 owners what they think......has sure made me think twice about upgrading from my E510.(tempting though as I'm really finding it more tedious than I expected working with RAW).

The review here is making me consider E420 for outside use and keeping E510 for low light/indoor stuff.

Any thoughts from E520 owners ?

Thanks John K

jekostas
10-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Why are you thinking of upgrading your E510?

JohnKK
10-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Sorry for delay...just getting familiar with how this site works....anyway....I was thinking of upgrading my E510 because I wanted something that had better JPEG HL retention....for family and indoor stuff I love my E510, but the work I have to do with E510 RAW files on bright outside shots is more work than I like to do.....E3 would do nicely but it's way to big. I have access to Nikons through work, but I love my compact E510 and my 18-125 Sigma for outside walkaround stuff......but if there is any sun....forget JPEG, I'm into RAW and particularly if people are involved and I don't have my FL 36....its a hit and miss as the LCD is only showing you the in camera JPEG

raven15
10-16-2008, 08:30 PM
I'd wait until the spring, I assume a new one (E-530 or something) will be out then that hopefully addresses the highlight issue, which I have noticed also. I think this one was more of a "firmware update incarnate" rather than a new camera. Personally, I only plan on updating my E-410 after a significantly better model is available, E-430 or 440 a completely new line, or whatever I decide is worth it. I think updating more than every two to three years wouldn't help that much.

It is strange, isn't it, that somehow the improvements from E-410 to E-420 made the E-420 exactly what it should be, while the same changes to the E-520 from E-510 made it go downhill in people's minds?

JohnKK
10-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Yes, it is strange....I don't put much weight to alot of opinions but I was rather suprised that Jeff did not attempt to address the discrepancy between his E410/420 positive comments versus the E510/520 negative comments.......quite frankly, I would have thought he would have asked for another E520 to test in case of "bum" sensor, etc.........

Ken.
10-26-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm holding onto my E510 since there just isn't that big of a difference between it and the E520. The tweaked dynamic range is curious but I'm not about to move for what amounts to a firmware change.

I'm curious about the RAW issues here. I use Lightroom and don't have any. I know that ISO 100 is a tick hot so I compensate for that. Set the camera for Adobe RGB, expose for highlights, bracket now and then and go. I rarely shoot JPEG these days.

Phill D
10-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Ken what do you mean by a tick hot at iso 100? I use iso 100 when ever I can, along generally with spot metering or sometimes centre weighted. I do always shoot in JPEG though with only simple PP in Elements occasionally so does that mean I wont notice what you are refering to?

Ken.
10-28-2008, 04:32 AM
Sorry, by "tick hot" I mean a tick over overexposed to my taste. I generally have the camera dialed down at least 1/3 stop.

I shoot RAW because I find it saves me time in editing later. Lightroom has such a broad range of fine tuning controls that I can tweak a RAW shot faster and easier than a JPEG shot. It's a personal thing.