PDA

View Full Version : Shooting footbal games at night

Southernborn
10-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Folks, I am using a Nikon D-80 80-200mm to shoot football games at night. Any suggestions on the best settings to use would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

seanhoxx
10-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Southern there are a couple other threads here in this section on sports shooting one fairly detailed one from a copuple weeks ago on football, and one on indoor sports. I don't have a Nikon, But the best general advice is a good fast lens 2.8, get as close as possible, increase ISO, adjust white balance"adjust color temp" fast a shutter speed as possible 1/320 min. to stop motion, 400 - 500 better. takes lots of shots.

peterf
10-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Southernborn,
I shoot a lot of night high school football games. I used KM Maxxum 5D for two years and now a use Sony A700. The key to any success, as seanhoxx stated, is a fast lens.
I use a Sigma 70-200 f 2.8. Different stadiums have different lighting, usually darker near the end zones. In general I use ISO 1600 to 3200 and shoot at a minimum of 1/400. I am able to sometimes shoot on the field and of course thats better, but I get decent pictures from the bleachers as well. Take a lot of shots! I dont think I'll get any shots in Sports Illustrated but the students and parents love them.
See my photos at: www.kodakgallery.com/petersphotos

seanhoxx
10-17-2008, 08:00 PM
I am able to stand on the sidelines when I shoot, I try ans stand around the 20 yard line can shoot going into the end zone or plays going down the field, this is often about where a light pole is at so I can be off the field but still in a light pool. also as pointed out and shown in the related post here the lights "cycle" shooting in burst mode you will catch it, some shots will be much darker than others. Read on for good info and advice