PDA

View Full Version : Official Batteries vs Generic Batteries

c2ironfist
01-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Hey guys

this is a lot of posting lol but I got lots of questions..

Okay... here goes

As you guys know Lithium Ion batteries arn't cheap and cost a fortune.

My question is.

What does OEM stand for and

Are the generic batteries available online as good as the official one? I've read in some auctions that they are just as good or bettor but they are like a fraction of the price and you know the old saying if its to good to be true then it must be.

I think I read that saying here lol..

But anyways for example

The NB-4L Canon Battery I have cost 70$plus tax at retail stores.. the generic ones selling online is roughly 10$.

Now what do you guys think. Is it just the name we pay for or the official one of higher quality?

David Metsky
01-19-2005, 08:36 PM
OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer, which means the one that comes with the camera or is sold by the manufacturer. I plan on buying a backup battery for my SD300 from B&H (they have two different models) for $30 which have 900mAh as opposed to the OEM battery's 760mAh. More juice for less money, which is pretty standard when you are talking about manufacturer brands.

c2ironfist
01-19-2005, 08:41 PM
really and these batteries perform well.. don't die out faster then the OEM ones I guess?

Also how long does a battery usualy last for anyways? I'm also worried about something like that. Meaning how long will it last me as in until it wont work no more.

Thanks for the info

Rhys
01-20-2005, 01:26 PM
really and these batteries perform well.. don't die out faster then the OEM ones I guess?

Also how long does a battery usualy last for anyways? I'm also worried about something like that. Meaning how long will it last me as in until it wont work no more.

Thanks for the info

The technology behind batteries is essentially very simple with anode, cathode and some chemicals shoved in between them. Thus, it;s hard to get that wrong.

c2ironfist
01-20-2005, 01:58 PM
The technology behind batteries is essentially very simple with anode, cathode and some chemicals shoved in between them. Thus, it;s hard to get that wrong.

lol good way of putting it :p

I was told though by a friend that those generic ones perform really crappy so I wasn't sure. Well generic brands of any kind anyways.

I know usualy they have a lot of crap on ebay and other auction sites at a really low price but performance is really bad.. so I questioned the quality of those generic ones that were available.

I'll probalby go grab 2 which should last me for the lifetime of my digital camera :)

Jim Last
01-20-2005, 02:37 PM
One of the biggest problems with non OEM batteries is in the manufacturing of the casing.

Quite often you have to be very careful and buy from a reputable 3rd party or you may find that may:

(1) not quite fit your camera right
(2) not fit snug in your charger
(3) not even charge correctly as the contacts arn't quite right
(4) not hold in a charger, especialy if you have one that plug straight into the wall socket and thus holds the battery vertical.
(5) not fully charge to stated capacity.

3rd Party makers such as Energiser, Delkin and Hahnel are all extremely reliable.

Rhys
01-20-2005, 02:42 PM
One of the biggest problems with non OEM batteries is in the manufacturing of the casing.

Quite often you have to be very careful and buy from a reputable 3rd party or you may find that may:

(1) not quite fit your camera right
(2) not fit snug in your charger
(3) not even charge correctly as the contacts arn't quite right
(4) not hold in a charger, especialy if you have one that plug straight into the wall socket and thus holds the battery vertical.
(5) not fully charge to stated capacity.

3rd Party makers such as Energiser, Delkin and Hahnel are all extremely reliable.

Lol. Reminds me of some lightweight batteries I bought in a pound shop. I put two in a torch and they died very quickly. the others i left in a box on a shelf for maybe 3 months. At the end of those 3 months, the electrolyte had eaten through the casing leaving a nasty mess behind. Fortunately it was a battery box I keep all my batteries in - just in case of such accidents. They were all the same. I think the moral there is - don't buy cheap Chinese trash.

Rhys
01-20-2005, 02:44 PM
lol good way of putting it :p

I was told though by a friend that those generic ones perform really crappy so I wasn't sure. Well generic brands of any kind anyways.

I know usualy they have a lot of crap on ebay and other auction sites at a really low price but performance is really bad.. so I questioned the quality of those generic ones that were available.

I'll probalby go grab 2 which should last me for the lifetime of my digital camera :)

I'd say go to a reasonable shop locally rather than buy from the web. Batteries are cheap enough. Actually, if I was buying enel1s then I'd go to 7dayshop.com anyway.

Jim Last
01-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Too right Rhys :)

Ebay certainly has its uses but when buying camera batteries etc. you really need to look very carefuly at items comming from China and Japan.

I would always stick with buying from either the US or UK as they both seem to be more reliable for quality and authenticity of items.

But I am sure even in time these cheap imports will start to smother the globe, as all those buyers riped off will try to off load their dodgy purchases :)

MobstaJ
01-22-2005, 06:59 PM
I bought a replacement nb2l canon battery a while back from ebay. It was an aftermarket brand called Merkury rated at double the factory capacity and I was surprised to find that I actually do get double the life out of it. It was much cheaper than an oem battery.

D70FAN
01-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Too right Rhys :)

Ebay certainly has its uses but when buying camera batteries etc. you really need to look very carefuly at items comming from China and Japan.

I would always stick with buying from either the US or UK as they both seem to be more reliable for quality and authenticity of items.

But I am sure even in time these cheap imports will start to smother the globe, as all those buyers riped off will try to off load their dodgy purchases :)

I do agree that you should use caution, on e-bay, but I have several e-bay batteries that out-perform the OEM version, and have for years.

Who in the US or UK makes LiIon batteries? Alkalines...yes. NiMH...maybe (mostly japan and China as well).

Even my "genuine" OEM Nikon EN-EL3's are made in China. As is the charger.
It wouldn't surprise me if the non-OEM product comes off the same line.

canonboooy
02-09-2005, 03:10 PM
After my original batteries die, I use only generic replacement battery no matter it is for notebook or digital camera. Why? They are so cheap, and most of replacement ones have higher capacity than orignals. But you'd better double check sellers' warranty and the condition of the battery. A lot of sellers don't mention details about battery, because the battery is refurbished. And you should get one year warranty for your purchase, because this is a industry standard. I bought batteries for my Canon PowerShot S500 and Sony Mavica from http://www.ebuybatteries.com, I was happy with them, you can take a try there.

D70FAN
02-09-2005, 03:36 PM
After my original batteries die, I use only generic replacement battery no matter it is for notebook or digital camera. Why? They are so cheap, and most of replacement ones have higher capacity than orignals. But you'd better double check sellers' warranty and the condition of the battery. A lot of sellers don't mention details about battery, because the battery is refurbished. And you should get one year warranty for your purchase, because this is a industry standard. I bought batteries for my Canon PowerShot S500 and Sony Mavica from http://www.ebuybatteries.com, I was happy with them, you can take a try there.

Thanks for that pointer. :)

gary_hendricks
02-20-2005, 02:11 AM
Hey guys

this is a lot of posting lol but I got lots of questions..

Okay... here goes

As you guys know Lithium Ion batteries arn't cheap and cost a fortune.

My question is.

What does OEM stand for and

Are the generic batteries available online as good as the official one? I've read in some auctions that they are just as good or bettor but they are like a fraction of the price and you know the old saying if its to good to be true then it must be.

I think I read that saying here lol..

But anyways for example

The NB-4L Canon Battery I have cost 70$plus tax at retail stores.. the generic ones selling online is roughly 10$.

Now what do you guys think. Is it just the name we pay for or the official one of higher quality?

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. For example, if I may have a Canon battery. But that battery could be made by Manufacturer A for Canon. Manufacturer A could sell that battery as an 'OEM battery'.

jewallace
02-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Check out http://www.sterlingtek.com, 4 generic batteries purchased - 2 Nikon, 1 Canon and 1 Sony all fit, work in OEM chargers and hold charge nicely. Friendly customer service, 1 yr warranty, reasonable shipping charges and battery prices. Maybe it's because Las Cruces is so far from New York city.

Sterling Technologies
1090 Medpark Drive
Las Cruces, New Mexico 88005

9-5 Mountain Time M-F
Phone: 1-877-742-1700
Fax: 505-526-9230

dchme
03-03-2005, 05:01 AM
I bought a generic NB4L from J&R for around $20 shipped and it's rated at 900Mah, higher than the stock Canon. I remember the first charge the battery life was a bit short. But since then, the battery has been without a doubt lasting longer than the stock unit. I think http://www.batterybarn.com has this same battery for cheaper. It's made by Vidpro/Power2000 and it's supposedly made in Japan. You can buy 2 of these at the Canon's price!

EAP
03-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Lol. Reminds me of some lightweight batteries I bought in a pound shop.

What's a pound shop? Is that like the 99-Cent store? :p

Rhys
03-03-2005, 08:24 AM
What's a pound shop? Is that like the 99-Cent store? :p

It's a bit more upmarket than that since a 99 cents is approximately half of one pound :D

Mr. Peabody
03-08-2005, 07:15 PM
I just bought 2 generic BP511 batteries for my Canon 20D. They were just $18 vs. $45-$50 for the real Canon batteries. I haven't received them yet. I'll let you know how they fare. I bought them to use in the battery grip that I ordered.

Mr. Peabody
03-15-2005, 03:11 PM
I used my two generic, Power2000, Canon type BP511 batteries today with my new Speedlite 580EX Flash and the BG-E2 battery grip.

I was just playing around taking shots to get a feel for the flash. Its the first time that I've ever bought or used an external flash. Anyway, I took about 30 or so shots before I noticed my battery power meter telling me that the battery power was almost gone. That't not good.

I'm returning them and getting the Canon Brand BP511 battery.

arvadajames
03-15-2005, 07:25 PM
I have bought generic batteries twice, once for a JVC camcorder, the battery gage in the camcorder always showed the generic battery as being dead, so I never knew how much battery I had left until it really was dead. Second experience was last year bought a generic battery with my Panasonic digital camera, the generic lasts about 1/2 the time of the Panasonic battery.

demerson
03-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Okay, you guys know how Duracell think they're l33t because they put a date on their batteries? Well, they are. The catch is this. Alkaline batteries can sit on a shelf a long ass time before they really start to degrade, but Lithium-Ion's can't.

When you buy an OEM battery, you can be reasonably sure it's only been on the shelf of you local BestBuy for maybe a couple months (at the most) and that battery you just paid $40-$70 for is gonna be in pretty good shape.

By contrast, when you buy a generic, the previous poster was exactly right. For the most part, a battery is a battery is a battery. And when that generic was manufactured it was just as good as the one in BestBuy. Now because they're so cheap, and have less packaging etc, they sell REALLY well, and rightly so. Therefore the manufacturers of these generic batteries make TRILLIONS of them (not really, but a lot). This is also fine, however, they're such a commodity they get sold, and put in warehouses, and re-sold, etc, etc, etc. It might be 2 years from the time the battery was manufactured to the time you pop it in your camera, and by that time the chemicals in that battery are in really lousy shape.

So what it comes down to is a crap-shoot. You get a battery that COULD be brand new, and last twice as long, for a quarter the price, or you might get the one that did the warehouse shuffle that's gonna suck.

Now, personally I'm kinda new to the buying generic batteries thing. The last one I bought for my Canon S100 was OEM and a couple years ago, but it was time for a new one, and I decided to roll the dice. I just bought 2 generic Canon NB-1L replacements from SterlingTek.com. I just got em but haven't tried em out yet. Hopefully I got a good batch, but if not, I still got 2 for the price of one OEM.

Dave

deanos
03-30-2005, 02:14 PM
What about the Sony batteries as they have a built in chip or something to tell the camera how much time is left are these reliable, and what about leakage or the battery blowing up there were some generic Nokia ones that were exploding a couple of years back kinda worries me.

demerson
03-30-2005, 03:41 PM
What about the Sony batteries as they have a built in chip or something to tell the camera how much time is left are these reliable, and what about leakage or the battery blowing up there were some generic Nokia ones that were exploding a couple of years back kinda worries me.

Yeah I remember hearing that about cell phone batteries last year too.

I too kinda wonder about the ~1600mah batteries, and why OEM manufactures avoid them and typically release the ~700mah batts. I don't know anything for sure, but it makes sense that the ultra-high-capacity generic batts might be less stable than OEM's who are just erring on the side of caution.

I don't know about the Sony batts inparticular, but I've read a few complaints on here that just about all old Li-Ion batts and espeically generic ones have problems reporting a full charge when they're actually quite low.

I've used my new batts a just to take a couple shots and they seem fine. Unless they melt my camera I'm probably gonna stick with em. :)

kryloc
04-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Just so you know, Energizer doesn't actually make their Digital Camera/Camcorder batteries(excluding AA/AAA's). They license out their name to another company which I can't seem to remember right now.
Food for thought.

bjmsam
10-10-2006, 12:53 AM
The accessory pack I bought with my Canon Powershot S100 included a second NB-1L (3.7V 680mAh), and for years I shot hundreds of photos at a time by alternating between the two. Only last year did they finally begin to struggle, so I bought two generic "NB1LH Replacement" Li-Ions. One was DOA, and the other runs out of juice even before the worn OEMs despite being rated at 1400mAh! Never again.

Paul79UF
10-10-2006, 12:38 PM
I've bought generic batteries for all my Powershot (S100, S200, S230, SD110, SD700IS) and they work perfectly.

I've bought them all from this site - https://www.digicamaccessories.com/

Videography
04-21-2007, 11:05 AM
A lot of the scammers which include websites as well as ebay sellers use the words OEM compatible. That is not OEM. When I look at the picture of the OEM compatible for my Pentax D-163 it does not have the Pentax label on it.

It is rated higher than the original. Why? Why not just make the same battery that came with the camera?

On my previous Pentax camera I have one original battery and one OEM compatible (aka generic) that I bought on the cheap. I treat them both the same but the Pentax battery lasts twice as long as the generic.

I invite someone to show me where I can buy real OEM batteries complete with labeling at cheap places. I'll be on their site in a flash :)

camera-battery.org
05-09-2007, 08:24 PM
I've bought generic batteries for all my KODAK EasyShare DX6490 and they work perfectly.
I've bought them all from this site - http://www.camera-battery.org

bananafish
05-15-2007, 10:02 AM
I've bought generic batteries for all my KODAK EasyShare DX6490 and they work perfectly.
I've bought them all from this site - http://www.camera-battery.org

Haha, very impressive marketing. You managed to cram 3 of your hyperlinks and one text link into a single post!

Personalized spam.

oj88
05-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Haha, very impressive marketing. You managed to cram 3 of your hyperlinks and one text link into a single post!

Personalized spam.

Yeah, and notice how it is patterned exactly the same as post #27.