PDA

View Full Version : Need 5 MP Camera with a decent flash and 35 mm quality

alnafsalzaki
08-08-2004, 06:52 AM
Okay, so I know you guys are inundated with the "What shall I buy questions," so I will try to be specific and concise.

I have always been fond of taking pictures. Unfortunately, I have never progressed beyond the point and shoot level. Now that I have kids, I would like to invest in a decent camera that is ready to roll (doesn't need a lot of manual tuning), but leaves me room to grow (as I will probably take a class on camera use. I don't expect to progress to the professional level, but I would like to take some decent pictures.

I have been through 2 cameras in the past year. I was highly unsatisfied with my Sony because I would try to take night shots of my girls sleeping and they'd be dim at best.

I have been leaning towards Canon cameras since they seem to be the most popular (and this says something, right).

Anyway, the things I want in order are:
1. Excellent pictures that look like 35mm quality when I develop them on my printer at home
2. Ability to take pictures indoors in lower light conditions
3. Decent movie quality
4. Able to take nice closeups
5. Camara must give me room to grow

I thought I knew what I wanted, but after reading these forums, I have become ultra confused. I am looking at the Canon G5 (maybe a bit above my head) and the Sony V1, but I think this has shadow issues if I remember correctly? I was also looking at the Canon S60.

Can someone steer me in the right direction?
Thanks.

wax
08-08-2004, 08:28 AM
hmm... it sounds like you will need an minolta dimage a1. though its close-up can only be fix at either wide or tele. or maybe an a2, but it has quite a problem in quality control and quite expensive too.

John_Reed
08-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Okay, so I know you guys are inundated with the "What shall I buy questions," so I will try to be specific and concise.

I have always been fond of taking pictures. Unfortunately, I have never progressed beyond the point and shoot level. Now that I have kids, I would like to invest in a decent camera that is ready to roll (doesn't need a lot of manual tuning), but leaves me room to grow (as I will probably take a class on camera use. I don't expect to progress to the professional level, but I would like to take some decent pictures.

I have been through 2 cameras in the past year. I was highly unsatisfied with my Sony because I would try to take night shots of my girls sleeping and they'd be dim at best.

I have been leaning towards Canon cameras since they seem to be the most popular (and this says something, right).

1. Excellent pictures that look like 35mm quality when I develop them on my printer at home
3. Decent movie quality

I thought I knew what I wanted, but after reading these forums, I have become ultra confused. I am looking at the Canon G5 (maybe a bit above my head) and the Sony V1, but I think this has shadow issues if I remember correctly? I was also looking at the Canon S60.

Thanks.the "venerable" Sony DSC-F717 camera, which was reviewed (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_f717-review/index.html) right here on the DCRP site not so long ago. You didn't say what model of Sony you had, but the 717 has superb low-light capability, probably the best, in fact, of any digital camera out there. It also has a very fast lens, which helps at the low-light end, and is selling these days at quite a reasonable price, < $500, it seems. I also thought of the Konica Minolta A2 as a possible solution; it too has a good low-light reputation, and a wider wideangle than does the Sony (28mm vs 38mm). But it is twice the price of the Sony, so I'd recommend you look at them both with an objective eye.

D70FAN
08-08-2004, 08:47 AM

3. Decent movie quality

Thanks.

Depending on your budget, you might want to give the Olympus 5060WZ a run. The A2 is a nice camera, but a bit of a lug, and as expensive as a decent dSLR.

There are no truely wrong choices. But you need to try these, in person. The one thing about a camera store is that there is a lot to choose from, and you will probaly end up liking a camera that no one suggested. Before you buy read the reviews.

Keep in mind that no digital camera is perfect.

speaklightly
08-08-2004, 09:39 AM
08/08/2004

I have found the Sony W-1 to offer easy to use point and shoot qualities that are great for me. It does not require a lot of setting and produces great digital photos. It sells for $350 to $370.

Sarah Joyce

alnafsalzaki
08-09-2004, 06:24 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have been reading extensively and I am now looking in the Minolta 500 and 600. Does anyone have any opinions about these. The reason I am leaning toward these is because they seem to have the same lense as a 35mm camera. I hope I can make my decision soon. Any further input would be appreciated. My budget is about 400 dollars. I am also looking at the Canon Digital Rebel (out of my budget), but I am thinking it is too complicated for me. Any thoughts?

alnafsalzaki
08-09-2004, 09:47 AM
George,

I took up your suggestion of the Olympus 5060. How does the 5050 differ from this? TIA.

D70FAN
08-09-2004, 01:40 PM
George,

I took up your suggestion of the Olympus 5060. How does the 5050 differ from this? TIA.

I think in a earlier post this was discussed, but basically the 5050 offers a very fast f1.8-2.6, 3X zoom starting at 35mm, and the 5060W offers a bit slower f2.8-4.8, 4X zoom starting at 28mm.

The 5060WZ uses a LiIon battery, RAW+TIFF images, where the 5060Z uses AA batteries, and only offers TIFF (not recommended) as it's best capture mode. Both, of course have standard JPEG compression as well.

RAW has become the choice of many pros, but requires post processing to print or display the image. I have just started using RAW (called NEF on my Nikon) and can see some real advantages in being able to post process many camera settings, so it's like taking the picture over without the camera.

My penchant for cameras with wide-angle capability is known, so I gravitate toward camera like the 5060WZ. When it comes to getting the whole picture or stepping back over the cliff... Seriously, for indoor shots having a usable wide-angle lens is invaluable.

Your choice should be based on what you like. Whatever you choose, will be a learning experience, and a lot of fun.

Rhys
08-09-2004, 02:23 PM
I don't believe that it's possible to compare 35mm to digital photography unless you state which 35mm film you wish to replicate.

Kodachrome 25 was the finest-grained film ever made and enlargements from that could be huge without showing grain. Konica 3200 colour print film is very grainy even on a 6x4 print by comparison.

It therefore becomes more of a question of how large you want the final prints to be.

5 megapixels will allow you to print up to about 17" x 13" at 144dpi. That's pretty big - around A3 size.

3 megapixels will allow you to print up to A4 size - about 11 x 14 at 144dpi.

I quite like several cameras but don't feel that recommending one is a good idea. The only way to know which camera is right is to walk into a shop and find out:

1. Which camera feels right in your hands.
2. Which camera does what you want.
3. Which camera has controls you find pleasant to use.

Then you need to test the cameras you selected. This might take a while but needs to be done. After that you'll have your perfect camera. I can recommend Nikon and Canon as good manufacturers. Fuji makes some sturdy and versatile cameras such as the S602 but I can't comment on the flash as I tend not to use the flash on anything.

You'd be better with a recent camera. The S602 suffers from turquoise highlights. The Canon S1 suffers from purple fringing sometimes. You really do have to check the pictures in intimate detail.

jamison55
08-09-2004, 06:13 PM
I will also put in my vote for the Oly 5050. The f1.8 lens is the fastest ever made on a digicam, and it has a low light assist lamp so focusing in the dark is a cinch. I bought mine refurb'd off of Ebay for <400 shipped, and I am extremely happy with it.

Of course, If you want a true low-light champion you can't beat a DSLR. My DReb takes great pics even at high ISO's...

Ben Miller
08-10-2004, 08:30 AM
The 5060WZ uses a LiIon battery, RAW+TIFF images, where the 5060Z uses AA batteries, and only offers TIFF

Just a minor correction: Both the 5050 and 5060 offer RAW mode.

D70FAN
08-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Just a minor correction: Both the 5050 and 5060 offer RAW mode.

By jove, you are correct. Thanks for the input. Have not used the 5050Z only the 5060WZ. Also looks like a typo in by reply.