View Full Version : 9-18mm lens

10-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Anyone else interested in this one? Early reports form PhillD's side of things are that it is pretty good.

I put in an early order through Amazon the other day, breaking my usual rule about not ordering anything for six months after release for pricing reasons. But I am going to China in two weeks and wanted to take it, along with my 14-54 and 40-150. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be here by then, but I can always hope.

At present, I think 40% of all shots with all my lenses are pressed against the 28mm end, so I think this lens will be very useful for me. (And about 25% are pressed against the long end of the 70-300, at least since I got it). I am on a roll acquiring zoom lenses in my "small enough" category. In fact, with the 9-18 I think I will have them all!

10-09-2008, 08:06 PM
when I think about it, I've never seen a lens below 10mm...

10-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Well, all Olympus cameras have a crop factor of 2, so they sorta have no choice but to do this. It still comes out to 18mm, not the 15mm a 10mm lens on a Nikon would be.

But that's nothing! They also make a 7-14mm lens, which is essentially the state of the art in wide angle lens technology.

I checked out a book from the library (WHAT! IN THIS DAY AND AGE! you say) on landscape photography. Being written in The Day, it uses all prime lenses for its examples, and recommends 18 through 35 mm as most useful for landscapes. So I am thinking that a highly compact yet optically good lens with 18mm-36mm equivalent focal lengths should be pretty good!

10-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Thinking of it another way, it's like a Tokina 12-24mm on a Nikon DX or Canon APS-C camera - same angle of view.

That will be a good lens for China landscapes. What parts of China will you see?

Phill D
10-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Raven I hope you get your 9-18 before your trip. I just noticed that someone on the DPreview forum said that Adorama have them in stock so there are some around. Myself I'll have to wait a bit until finances recover a bit.
I think Brian Mosely who runs the Olympus Safari gp is testing one at the moment I don't think he surfs here but I'm sure he wouldn't mind me posting a few of his DPR comments here for you, see below.

"Apart from some minor CA the 9-18 is sharper than the 7-14 into the corners at f8 and wide open. If you don't need weathersealing and you've already got the 7-14 then the 9-18 is a no-brainer.
If you thought any of your ZD lenses were sharp, you won't be disappointed with the 9-18.
I don't regret for a moment buying the 7-14 or 11-22, they both have unique characteristics which make them worth every penny for me... but the 9-18 is the first 'Standard' lens which has surprised me in terms of optical quality.
I think that Olympus have demonstrated that they are very serious about delivering the most exceptional optical quality to the standard grade level. This can only be fantastic news for those of us on a quest for the best possible value for money in terms of optical quality."

Good luck with your new lens.

10-16-2008, 08:23 PM
I'll be hitting the touristy parts like the terracotta warriors plus Beijing and the great wall, but the "purpose" of the trip is to visit a University in a small town of a million people that isn't widely known. I think it is called "Heze."

Phill, I actually read DPreview before ordering, which was what I was alluding to in my original post. Unfortunately, everyone who gets one in stock is out by the time I look, and I don't have time to be looking 24 hours a day. Adorama, like B&H, is apparently too religious for their own good, because the are closed until the 23rd, three days before I leave.

Fortunately, this should satisfy my lens desires for at least the lenses released so far. The pancake lens, 35mm macro, and 50mm is too boring for me (I like very wide and very narrow lenses, esepecially zoom lenses), and all the others are too large (never mind too expensive). The only one I want is the 8mm fisheye, but it will be a long while before I decide I want to spend $650 on it.

Phill D
10-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Hope you get the lens in time, that sounds like a brilliant trip. We went to see the Warriors in London when they visited recently but there were only about 25 or so that made the trip & they wouldn't allow photographs. We did get pretty close to them though & they were amaizing. To see the whole army would be fantastic. The shear production line required to manufacture then must have been something else. I look forward to you posting photos of you trip.

10-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Arrghh! UPS tried to deliver my lens today, but I was taking a professional exam and wasn't allowed to have my cell phone, so they didn't leave it. I'm leaving for China in 20hrs, hope I can convince them to give it to me by then. They say I can pick it up tonight and someone will call within an hour to confirm that, but I don't trust UPS that far.

10-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Woohoo! 9-18mm in hand! And on camera! I already feel it is my second favorite lens (after the 14-54). The size and shape just seems to latch on to the 'ol E-410 like it was supposed to be there. The "The" kit lens always felt too small for comfort (I carry the whole contraption by the lens, since obviously there is no grip). The small size increase to the 40-150 seemed much more natural. Well, this seems even more natural than that. The rubber on the zoom ring feels slightly better, plus there is slight texturing to the body like the 14-54, rather than the smooth plastic of the kit and other standard lenses. It seems like it is a quarter of the way toward the 14-54 from the 40-150. Or, like it was supposed to be a very nice lens that was re-thought for much smaller size and slightly lower price. Sweet!

It has the in-out-in zoom motion that irritates me on most kit lenses (of other manufacturers obviously, Oly's don't do this), but in this case I am fine with it, because 1) it only moves about 1/4 inch each direction and 2) it doesn't make a plasticky a "thwunk-thwock" like the standard in-out-in kit lens. In fact it makes a decent "thwick-thwick" sound, with a minimum of noises from excess movement. The front is huge, but not because of glass, apparently because the filter threads have been designed to keep any filter the heck away from the field of view. Sweet.

9-18 in one pocket, 40-150 in the other, 14-54 on camera, camera in hand (or some combination therein, maybe 9-18 on camera, 40-150 in pocket, 14-54 in backpack, outdoors). China here I come.

Phill D
10-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Sounds like you're all set have fun.