PDA

View Full Version : Canon A75 - photos in darkness?

ocoolio
08-08-2004, 04:24 AM
Hello there!

I dont know if its a bug with my camera, so I'd like to ask you people:
when shooting photos in darkness (i mean, really dark), all of the modes maximizeses the length of the shooting to 1 sec. The auto modes never gives the option to shoot more than 1 sec. The result is, of course, black photos. In TV mode, I can force it to shoot it for 15 sec, but hey?! Then I lose the... how you say.. aperture (F5.6, etc) settings.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks,

Adam

judge9847
08-08-2004, 12:21 PM
We need some information here :)

What camera are you using? What is it exactly that you're trying to do? - there must be something in the darkness you're trying to photograph. Are you using a flash of any sort?

As much information as you possibly can will help to get you an answer but beware!! MOST digital cameras aren't very good in even low light, never mind darkness. But let us know all the detail you can - it helps enormously.

judge9847
08-08-2004, 12:24 PM
Stupid me ... I see you're using a Canon A75 !! :rolleyes: That's not going to be a camera that can handle low light very well so I'm sure owners of it will explain what the problems are.

But the rest of the information will be useful in getting you the correct reply. Sorry about the double post.

Hadoken
08-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Hello there!

I dont know if its a bug with my camera, so I'd like to ask you people:
when shooting photos in darkness (i mean, really dark), all of the modes maximizeses the length of the shooting to 1 sec. The auto modes never gives the option to shoot more than 1 sec. The result is, of course, black photos. In TV mode, I can force it to shoot it for 15 sec, but hey?! Then I lose the... how you say.. aperture (F5.6, etc) settings.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks,

Adam
When you shoot in TV mode you do not lose your aperature settings, TV mode controls only the shutter speed, AV mode controls only the Aperature and M lets you control both and the flash.

Get a tripod, set it to TV mode, and set the shutter to atleast 10 seconds and see if that helps a bit.
I left the camera as still as possible, set it to 15 seconds, and took a picture with only a streetlight 70 feet away and it took pretty good for the conditions.

ocoolio
08-09-2004, 01:21 AM
When you shoot in TV mode you do not lose your aperature settings, TV mode controls only the shutter speed, AV mode controls only the Aperature and M lets you control both and the flash.

Get a tripod, set it to TV mode, and set the shutter to atleast 10 seconds and see if that helps a bit.
I left the camera as still as possible, set it to 15 seconds, and took a picture with only a streetlight 70 feet away and it took pretty good for the conditions.

Thanks for all the help, but I think you guys misunderstood me.
So, my point is (illustrated w/ an example):
I have an old Praktika film photo camera, on which I can adjust the aperture setting, and the machine, according to the light conditions, sets the shutter speed. No matter how long it should be! So, in dark nights, it really does a 60 or even more secundum photo, I never have to bother with that.
The point is: Im aware, that in TV or AV mode, I can fix the shutter speed or the aperture size, but my problem is, that I usually want to fix the aperture size, then expect the machine to set the _correct_ shutter speed for it (if it takes 2 minutes, then make it 2 minutes). The problem is, that with A75, when I set the aperture to something, it will never-ever want to increase the shutter speed to more than 1 secundum, I have to manually force it. Of couse, I dont want to use other manual methods to _guess_ the correct shutter speed for a concrete aperture size.
I hope its clear now, so please, help me! Thanks!

Adam

zoodany
08-09-2004, 01:45 AM
If it's so dark, why don't you use the maximum aperture value (f2.8) and set the shutter speed? However is not difficult to set both value in manual..
If can help you look at www.zoodany.it you'll see some of my pics taken with my A75 including some night shots.. You can also see the exif data to understand how i took the pics and how set your camera..

zoodany..
www.zoodany.it

PS: I'm sorry for my bad english..

ocoolio
08-09-2004, 03:31 AM
If it's so dark, why don't you use the maximum aperture value (f2.8) and set the shutter speed? However is not difficult to set both value in manual..
If can help you look at www.zoodany.it you'll see some of my pics taken with my A75 including some night shots.. You can also see the exif data to understand how i took the pics and how set your camera..

zoodany..
www.zoodany.it

PS: I'm sorry for my bad english..

Well zoodany, thanks for the reply, but seems you kinda unaware of these settings (really, no offence!!). How could you possibly know, that shooting with F2.8, a 4'' shot will be just fine?? You never know, thats the point! The professional cameras collect the light reflected from the film itself and they close the ... er, hows it called in English... the shutter? when enough light collected.
When you manually set these settings, like you did, something will be visible on the film, no doubt! But thats not what I want to achieve...
So, my question still stands: isnt it possible to manually adjust the aperture size, then leave the shutter speed to the machine, even when more than 1 sec is needed for the CCD?

Thanks,

Adam

Hadoken
08-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood you.

I see what you're saying now and am not sure of an answer, but I can tell you that the maximum shutter speed is 15 seconds, so it will never take as good of dark photos as your old camera.

I've only had the camera a week, but I believe the longest the camera will set the shutter speed to is 1 second, unless you manually set it to whatever speed you would like (up to 15 seconds). So, no, your camera isn't defective, but it sounds like the A75 may be not quite as professional camera as you want or need.

Sorry I can't help more.

zoodany
08-09-2004, 01:44 PM
So, my question still stands: isnt it possible to manually adjust the aperture size, then leave the shutter speed to the machine, even when more than 1 sec is needed for the CCD?

I think it isn't possible, also my camera set the shutter speed to 1" max..
To set it to more than 1" you have to set it on Tv or Manual..
I think the only think you can do is to use the camera in "M", set the Av how you want and take test shots changing the shutter speed till you get what you want..

Bye..

zoodany..
www.zoodany.it