PDA

View Full Version : 15% restocking fee?

jpappas
01-19-2005, 01:54 PM
I'm planning on a digital camera and printer purchase, but I am continuously encountering the "15% restocking fee" issue on return policies. Is this now standard everywhere? (I've encountered it at Good Guys, Best Buy and Dell.) I really want the ability to exchange my camera for another once I've had a chance to test it at home. JP

ReF
01-19-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm planning on a digital camera and printer purchase, but I am continuously encountering the "15% restocking fee" issue on return policies. Is this now standard everywhere? (I've encountered it at Good Guys, Best Buy and Dell.) I really want the ability to exchange my camera for another once I've had a chance to test it at home. JP

the reason for restocking fees is because once a product is opened and then returned, it can't be sold as new. the used product therefore has to be marked down in price or no one would buy it. the restocking fee covers the mark down in price so that the seller doesn't loose money from returns. of course some places charge you the restocking fee and then turn around and sell the used product as new, while others abuse the restocking fee policy and charge you whether you have opened the product or not. the restocking fee is both a good and a bad thing, because potentially, a person could "test" every camera a seller carries(or a good amount of them) for free and return them. you also wouldn't want to pay or a "new" camera and find out that someone else had "tested" it before, would you? that's why we have reviews, where much of the testing has been done for us. as for the bad things about restocking fees, well, we already know.

UberVamp44
01-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Well most plases if you are returning an camera cuz its defective they will wave the restock fee but if you are returning it cuz you dont like it well that seems more like a personal problem to them and thats kinda how I view it but like you I have encounterd the 15% restock fee at many places aswell