PDA

View Full Version : Slumped glass bowl by Lee Brady

Don Kondra
09-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Greetings,

Recent work by Saskatoon glass artist Lee Brady.

The plan was to have the "shadow" colored by shining through the bowl but my continuous lights didn't quite have the power to do it....

bowl - 1/5, f 7.1, iso 100, 14-54 @ 44mm
close up - 1/6, f 7.1, iso 100, 14-54 @ 54mm

Cheers, Don

speaklightly
09-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Very nice photos, Don-

Thanks for posting them.

Sarah Joyce

raven15
09-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Would it be possible to have something else easy to get hold of, for example a spot light, shining down from the top? Or would that destroy your color balance? (I'm no lighting expert).

I definitely like the second one, it is a good illustration of the craftsmanship that went into the bowl.

Don Kondra
09-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Well, there's two issues with that. Too much light from too many directions and you destroy the "shadows" that are there on purpose and second is the reflection of the light itself showing in the bowl.

Cheers, Don

raven15
09-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Maybe I worded poorly, what I meant was you said the light didn't have enough power to show the green shadow, so I wondered if it would be possible to shine something else on it to bring out the shadow?

Don Kondra
09-19-2008, 11:14 PM
LOL, ah, you mean the bigger, better, stronger light I don't currently own :)

Actually I'm not sure if "more" light would make that much of a difference, the glass itself is just too thick... but I sure would like to try..

Cheers, Don

Don Kondra
09-20-2008, 12:01 AM
One thing that might make a difference is using barn doors on the reflectors to focus the light. If the light stand was slightly behind the middle of the bowl, the inside portion that would be blown out would not be visible in the image because of the angle... hummmm....

More stuff to buy :)

Cheers, Don

jekostas
09-20-2008, 12:38 AM
One thing that might make a difference is using barn doors on the reflectors to focus the light. If the light stand was slightly behind the middle of the bowl, the inside portion that would be blown out would not be visible in the image because of the angle... hummmm....

More stuff to buy :)

Cheers, Don

There's ALWAYS more stuff to buy when it comes to lighting...
I kind of like the way the first pic turned out, actually. Just the hint of green in the shadows suits the piece well.

Don Kondra
09-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Ahhhh, but just a little more :)

Here it is, after 1:30 am and I'm laying in bed thinking about this, how about taking a strip of foil, crumple it up, smooth it out and form it into a cylinder on the end of the reflector? In effect, ta da, a spot light...

Nah, get back to bed and try it later.....

Cheers, Don