PDA

View Full Version : B&W filter on Canon 20d

ktixx
01-18-2005, 11:14 PM
On the canon 20D you are given the option of shooting in Black and White. Also an option under the black and white section is attaching digital filters to the picture. You can select to use a yellow, orange, red, or green "filter" when shooting in black and white. My question is, will the digital filters in the canon 20d be as effective as an actual red or orange filter attached to the end of your lens? I haven't really had the time to experiment myself, I was just wondering if any other 20D users had tested this feature?

Thanks for your replys
Ken

D70FAN
01-19-2005, 05:35 AM
On the canon 20D you are given the option of shooting in Black and White. Also an option under the black and white section is attaching digital filters to the picture. You can select to use a yellow, orange, red, or green "filter" when shooting in black and white. My question is, will the digital filters in the canon 20d be as effective as an actual red or orange filter attached to the end of your lens? I haven't really had the time to experiment myself, I was just wondering if any other 20D users had tested this feature?

Thanks for your replys
Ken

Why not shoot in RAW, desaturate, and apply the filtering in Photoshop?

ktixx
01-19-2005, 07:30 AM
I realize that there are probably tons of ways to apply filters and manipulate your photographs in Photoshop. I have been learning a lot about the ability of a RAW file, but in this case I would like to know how effective the digital filters are that are built into the camera. I am guessing that they will have the same effect that you speak of by using photoshop (or at least similar) but will the effect be better if I were to use an actual red or orange filter? From your experiences do you find that using an actual "screw on filter" has a better effect than manipulating the photographs in photoshop?
Thanks for your reply
Ken